Ah yes. And so I join the ranks of singlespeeders

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Flyingcoyote, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    So, I've been spec'ing out parts for a singlespeed for about a year now... always sort of
    fantasizing over it rather than actually doing it. Well, a buddy is selling his Kona Unit
    Singlespeed. I offered him $500 for it. (Retails for $900.) It's been ridden 3 times, and since he's
    a bike mechanic he's going over it really well and tuning it all up, and replacing the tires. (It's
    always good to have him on the trail with us... our own house mechanic... and a great guy to boot.
    Not to mention a very strong rider.)

    Picture (from Kona's website): http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/bikes_low/2k3_unit_72x700.jpg

    Specs: http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/images/unit_specs.gif

    Starting to get a decent collection of bikes! 2 XC's. 1 trials. 1 Singlespeed.

    Now I need a beefier XC bike and a road bike. Oh yeah.

    So I'll have my singlespeed, and he'll have money to put towards a full sus bike and convert his
    hardtail into another ss. :)

    WOOHOO!

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > So, I've been spec'ing out parts for a singlespeed for about a year now... always sort of
    > fantasizing over it rather than actually doing it. Well, a buddy is selling his Kona Unit
    > Singlespeed. I offered him $500 for it. (Retails for $900.) It's been ridden 3 times, and since
    > he's a bike mechanic he's going over it really well and tuning it all up, and replacing the tires.
    > (It's always good to have him on the trail with us... our own house mechanic... and a great guy to
    > boot. Not to mention a very strong rider.)
    >
    > Picture (from Kona's website): http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/bikes_low/2k3_unit_72x700.jpg
    >
    > Specs: http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/images/unit_specs.gif
    >
    > Starting to get a decent collection of bikes! 2 XC's. 1 trials. 1 Singlespeed.
    >
    > Now I need a beefier XC bike and a road bike. Oh yeah.
    >
    > So I'll have my singlespeed, and he'll have money to put towards a full sus bike and convert his
    > hardtail into another ss. :)
    >
    > WOOHOO!

    Congratulations. Nice rig. ride it awhile, and I bet you won't be in a big hurry to buy other bikes.
    They get under your skin.

    Paladin

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:56:38 -0800, FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So, I've been spec'ing out parts for a singlespeed for about a year now... always sort of
    >fantasizing over it rather than actually doing it. Well, a buddy is selling his Kona Unit
    >Singlespeed. I offered him $500 for it. (Retails for $900.) It's been ridden 3 times, and since
    >he's a bike mechanic he's going over it really well and tuning it all up, and replacing the tires.
    >(It's always good to have him on the trail with us... our own house mechanic... and a great guy to
    >boot. Not to mention a very strong rider.)
    >
    >Picture (from Kona's website): http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/bikes_low/2k3_unit_72x700.jpg
    >
    >Specs: http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/images/unit_specs.gif
    >
    >Starting to get a decent collection of bikes! 2 XC's. 1 trials. 1 Singlespeed.
    >
    >Now I need a beefier XC bike and a road bike. Oh yeah.
    >
    >So I'll have my singlespeed, and he'll have money to put towards a full sus bike and convert his
    >hardtail into another ss. :)
    >
    >WOOHOO!
    >
    >--
    >
    >FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

    Enjoy, I'll bet you'll find there's no need for your XC's and if you take it easy you can possibly
    through out the Trials ;-)....There's a trash can I think it will fit into in front of my house.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  4. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    Bill Wheeler foolishly tried to acquire my precious trials:

    > Enjoy, I'll bet you'll find there's no need for your XC's and if you take it easy you can possibly
    > through out the Trials ;-)....There's a trash can I think it will fit into in front of my house.
    >

    > Peace, Bill
    >

    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Hehe. The plan thus far is to train on the singlespeed throughout the week, and ride the XC fs' on
    the more technical weekend rides. The trials get's its riding throughout the week and weekends in
    between the other activities. ;)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:49:20 -0800, FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip dumbass spelling error]

    I meant to say "throw out" ....sorry

    :-]

  6. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:49:20 -0800, FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > [snip dumbass spelling error]
    >
    > I meant to say "throw out" ....sorry
    >

    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Bah. Knew what you were sayin'. :)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  7. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:56:38 -0800, FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote:
    > So, I've been spec'ing out parts for a singlespeed for about a year now... always sort of
    > fantasizing over it rather than actually doing it. Well, a buddy is selling his Kona Unit
    > Singlespeed. I offered him $500 for it. (Retails for $900.) It's been ridden 3 times, and since
    > he's a bike mechanic he's going over it really well and tuning it all up, and replacing the tires.
    > (It's always good to have him on the trail with us... our own house mechanic... and a great guy to
    > boot. Not to mention a very strong rider.)
    >
    > Picture (from Kona's website): http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/bikes_low/2k3_unit_72x700.jpg
    >
    > Specs: http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/images/unit_specs.gif
    >
    > Starting to get a decent collection of bikes! 2 XC's. 1 trials. 1 Singlespeed.
    >
    > Now I need a beefier XC bike and a road bike. Oh yeah.
    >
    > So I'll have my singlespeed, and he'll have money to put towards a full sus bike and convert his
    > hardtail into another ss. :)
    >
    > WOOHOO!

    Welcome brother.

    Gman

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > So, I've been spec'ing out parts for a singlespeed for about a year now... always sort of
    > fantasizing over it rather than actually doing it. Well, a buddy is selling his Kona Unit
    > Singlespeed. I offered him $500 for it. (Retails for $900.) It's been ridden 3 times, and since
    > he's a bike mechanic he's going over it really well and tuning it all up, and replacing the tires.
    > (It's always good to have him on the trail with us... our own house mechanic... and a great guy to
    > boot. Not to mention a very strong rider.)

    For God's sake, check the frame for cracks! It's a well know fact that kona bikes spontaneously
    combust and fall apart. When it does fail, you can get a Surly 1x1 frame.

    If it has a System2 fork on it, keep a close eye on it. They are light, but not really strong enough
    for bigger riders.

    JD

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    JD wrote:
    > FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> So, I've been spec'ing out parts for a singlespeed for about a year now... always sort of
    >> fantasizing over it rather than actually doing
    >> it. Well, a buddy is selling his Kona Unit Singlespeed. I offered him $500 for it. (Retails for
    >> $900.) It's been ridden 3 times, and since he's a bike mechanic he's going over it really
    >> well and tuning it all up, and replacing the tires. (It's always good to have him on the
    >> trail with us... our own house mechanic... and a great guy to boot. Not to mention a very
    >> strong rider.)
    >
    > For God's sake, check the frame for cracks! It's a well know fact that kona bikes spontaneously
    > combust and fall apart. When it does fail, you can get a Surly 1x1 frame.

    does this mean I should bring a spare to Idaho?

    penny

  10. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    > For God's sake, check the frame for cracks! It's a well know fact that kona bikes spontaneously
    > combust and fall apart. When it does fail, you can get a Surly 1x1 frame.
    >
    > If it has a System2 fork on it, keep a close eye on it. They are light, but not really strong
    > enough for bigger riders.
    >
    > JD

    Thanks for the warning.

    The guy I'm buying it off of is a good and honest person who is also a bike mechanic. He's going
    over everything to make sure it's in top shape and if anything happens I'm sure he'll be cool about
    it (he's a good friend and riding buddy).

    I'm thinking I'll upgrade some parts on it pretty soon and if the frame does crack on me, I have
    some other frames in mind but, I'll have to research those a bit more.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com