Air contaminants on produce

Dee Randall

Guest
>>>A very good point! That alone should be reason to wash all produce.
>>>Another contaminant some don't think of is the air itself. Air is a
>>>host for all types of pollutants and contaminants some of which settle
>>>on produce.

>> Are the contaminates in the air worse going into the intestinal tract
>> than into the lungs? Am I missing something?

> Yes, this discussion was about *washing* produce not what you are
> breathing. In some cases, the residual air contaminants on produce may
> be worse for you than what you breath in but that is another discussion.

Discussions seem to morph in rfc. But maybe it would be better for an
interested party to start a discussion about air contaminants on produce.

Can anyone name those residual air contamnants on produce.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:

> >> Are the contaminates in the air worse going into the intestinal tract
> >> than into the lungs? Am I missing something?

> > Yes, this discussion was about *washing* produce not what you are
> > breathing. In some cases, the residual air contaminants on produce may
> > be worse for you than what you breath in but that is another discussion.

> Discussions seem to morph in rfc. But maybe it would be better for an
> interested party to start a discussion about air contaminants on produce.
>
> Can anyone name those residual air contamnants on produce.

Why, you planning on moving to a different planet, or ceasing
breathing?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:09:54 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Are the contaminates in the air worse going into the intestinal tract
>>> than into the lungs? Am I missing something?

>> Yes, this discussion was about *washing* produce not what you are
>> breathing. In some cases, the residual air contaminants on produce may
>> be worse for you than what you breath in but that is another discussion.

>Discussions seem to morph in rfc. But maybe it would be better for an
>interested party to start a discussion about air contaminants on produce.
>
>Can anyone name those residual air contamnants on produce.
>Thanks,
>Dee Dee

I guess it depends on where you live. If you live and garden and a
large city with lots of traffic and manufacturing you are going to
have more contaminates than if you lived in the boonies like I do. And
if the stuff is in the air you are going to have it in your lungs. You
walk out to your organically grown garden and pick beans, corn
tomatoes, etc. You breathe the stuff into your lungs. If it is
residue from air born contaminates it is by definition, in the air. I
tend to rinse the things off, but if the tomato looks good and I am
hungry, I will pick it and maybe wipe it on my shirt and eat it.

My resistance is probably much better than that of the people who are
afraid to eat anything with disinfecting it first. My kids were not
protected from everything and are quite healthy.
--
Susan N.