Road Cycling · Public discussion

Air Pump detected as a weapon????

Started by Red Cloud · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,665 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 May 2004
Last activity
26 May 2004
Original author
Red Cloud
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,665
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security check
    entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard
    was asking me in loud voice "What is that thing in your
    bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the bag and
    showed the security guard. She did not believe that. She
    ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
    explained to him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have
    had to demonstarte how air pump worked. This never happended
    before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

  2. Red Cloud said:

    I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security check
    entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard
    was asking me in loud voice "What is that thing in your
    bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the bag
    and showed the security guard. She did not believe that.
    She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When
    I explained to him, he said ok this is the air pump. I
    have had to demonstarte how air pump worked. This never
    happended before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

    You're absolutely right, Cloudy.

    They shouldn't check out ANY metal cylindrical objects at
    airports, government buildings, courtrooms, etc.

    Bill "possible nomination for imbecilic post of the
    month?" S.

  3. " S o r n i" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Red Cloud said:

    I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security
    check entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check.
    The guard was asking me in loud voice "What is that
    thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I
    opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did
    not believe that. She ordered the next security guard to
    check it out. When I explained to him, he said ok this
    is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how air pump
    worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too
    much stricting.

    You're absolutely right, Cloudy.

    They shouldn't check out ANY metal cylindrical objects at
    airports, government buildings, courtrooms, etc.

    Bill "possible nomination for imbecilic post of the
    month?" S.

    I think I know the frustration the OP felt. It's not so much
    that you get harassed for having a "metal cylinder", it's
    that the security guards for the most part have the IQ of
    room temperature celsius. In this case, the bike pump is
    mostly air inside ... how many pipe bombs only weigh 120
    grams??? The scary part is that any real terrorist will be
    way ahead of our so called security forces. What would have
    kept a potential suicide bomber from having a bag full of
    plastic explosives and detonating it all right there and
    then? "Oh, gee ... I think I'll just pack a tiny bit of
    explosives into a little bike pump and go through the x ray
    ... rats, I got caught, bummer." Bah!

    C.Q.C.

  4. "Red Cloud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security check
    entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard
    was asking me in loud voice "What is that thing in your
    bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the bag
    and showed the security guard. She did not believe that.
    She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When
    I explained to him, he said ok this is the air pump. I
    have had to demonstarte how air pump worked. This never
    happended before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

    Well you could have blown something up with it!

    Marty

  5. "Red Cloud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security check
    entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard
    was asking me in loud voice "What is that thing in your
    bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the bag
    and showed the security guard. She did not believe that.
    She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When
    I explained to him, he said ok this is the air pump. I
    have had to demonstarte how air pump worked. This never
    happended before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

    Last summer on a trip to Las Vegas, the x-ray machine
    indicated a suspicious object in my briefcase. The security
    guard told me to open my bag, because it appeared as if I
    had some sort of illegal martial arts weapon inside. The
    "weapon" turned out to be a standard-sized Tootsie Roll!
    Apparently, the new metallic wrapper is impervious to x-
    rays, and shows up as some sort of "metal bar" in the x-ray
    machine. My fiancé still teases me about my "ninja Tootsie
    Roll"...the security guys got a laugh out of it too.

    GG

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Red Cloud
    I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security check
    entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard
    was asking me in loud voice "What is that thing in your
    bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the bag and
    showed the security guard. She did not believe that. She
    ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
    explained to him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have
    had to demonstarte how air pump worked. This never happended
    before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

    Maybe they should have been checking for unusual objects in bags before 9/11 too. It's good to see things improve for a change.

    Dan.

  7. In article
    <[email hidden]>, mmdir2002
    @yahoo.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:

    I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat
    tire. I was going to city courtm and in the security check
    entrance, I was unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard
    was asking me in loud voice "What is that thing in your
    bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the bag
    and showed the security guard. She did not believe that.
    She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When
    I explained to him, he said ok this is the air pump. I
    have had to demonstarte how air pump worked. This never
    happended before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

    If they let you on with it, then they decided it wasn't a
    weapon. They were just being sure that it wasn't.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  8. On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:31:57 -0700, "GaryG"

    garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    bject in my briefcase. The security guard told me to open
    my bag, because it appeared as if I had some sort of
    illegal martial arts weapon inside. The "weapon" turned out
    to be a standard-sized Tootsie Roll! Apparently, the new
    metallic wrapper is impervious to x-rays, and shows up as
    some sort of "metal bar" in the x-ray machine. My fiancé
    still teases me about my "ninja Tootsie Roll"...the
    security guys got a laugh out of it too.

    GG

    Hahaha. Good one. Funny thing is a simple thing like a
    bike tool:

    trekbikes.comproduct detail.jsp
    duct_id=146&category_id=278

    ...can be a formidable weapon.

    -B

  9. On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:31:57 -0700, "GaryG"

    garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    Last summer on a trip to Las Vegas, the x-ray machine
    indicated a suspicious object in my briefcase. The security
    guard told me to open my bag, because it appeared as if I
    had some sort of illegal martial arts weapon inside. The
    "weapon" turned out to be a standard-sized Tootsie Roll!
    Apparently, the new metallic wrapper is impervious to x-
    rays, and shows up as some sort of "metal bar" in the x-ray
    machine. My fiancé still teases me about my "ninja Tootsie
    Roll"...the security guys got a laugh out of it too.

    They were doing their job.

    karatedepot.comot ke 25.html

    Look at it as an X-ray machine would.

  10. "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:31:57 -0700, "GaryG"

    garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    Last summer on a trip to Las Vegas, the x-ray machine
    indicated a


    suspicious

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    object in my briefcase. The security guard told me to
    open my bag,


    because

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it appeared as if I had some sort of illegal martial arts
    weapon inside. The "weapon" turned out to be a standard-
    sized Tootsie Roll! Apparently, the new metallic wrapper
    is impervious to x-rays, and shows up as some


    sort

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of "metal bar" in the x-ray machine. My fiancé still
    teases me about my "ninja Tootsie Roll"...the security
    guys got a laugh out of it too.

    They were doing their job.

    karatedepot.comot ke 25.html

    Look at it as an X-ray machine would.

    Oh, I agree completely with that, and I thanked the TSA
    folks for their vigilance at the time. We all got a good
    chuckle out of it, but it's comforting to know they're
    looking for this sort of thing.

    GG

  11. GaryG garyg@shasta_spambegone_software.com said:

    Oh, I agree completely with that, and I thanked the TSA
    folks for their vigilance at the time. We all got a good
    chuckle out of it, but it's comforting to know they're
    looking for this sort of thing.

    it may be comforting, but does it actually help?

    read this:

    schneier.combook beyondfear.html

    two things: reinforced cockpit doors and awareness by
    passengers that they should resist. those two things have
    helped. They Stand Around for the most part do just that.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  12. On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:56:49 -0700, "GaryG"

    garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    Oh, I agree completely with that, and I thanked the TSA
    folks for their vigilance at the time. We all got a good
    chuckle out of it, but it's comforting to know they're
    looking for this sort of thing.

    GG

    I'd have been tempted to take the tootsie roll out of the
    wrapper and hold it like a dagger and as it droops say 'look
    out!', and make stabbing motions.

    Of course you might get threatened with a strip search for
    being a smartass. I'd only do it if the authority is a cute
    blonde female. :-p

    -B

  13. Badger_South wrote (of airport security checks):

    Quoted message said:

    I'd have been tempted to take the tootsie roll out of the
    wrapper and hold it like a dagger and as it droops say
    'look out!', and make stabbing motions.

    Might have been the last thing you ever did (as an able-
    bodied man, anyway!).

    Quoted message said:

    Of course you might get threatened with a strip search for
    being a smartass. I'd only do it if the authority is a
    cute blonde female. :-p

    More like a private room with a 300-pounder named Jammer.

    Bill "some things ya just don't do nowadays" S.

  14. Q. said:

    I think I know the frustration the OP felt. It's not so
    much that you get harassed for having a "metal cylinder",
    it's that the security guards for the most part have the
    IQ of room temperature celsius. In this case, the bike
    pump is mostly air inside ... how many pipe bombs only
    weigh 120 grams??? The scary part is that any real
    terrorist will be way ahead of our so called security
    forces. What would have kept a potential suicide bomber
    from having a bag full of plastic explosives and
    detonating it all right there and then? "Oh, gee ... I
    think I'll just pack a tiny bit of explosives into a
    little bike pump and go through the x ray ... rats, I got
    caught, bummer." Bah!

    C.Q.C.

    Granted, a metal cylinder the size of a bicycle pump could
    not contain much explosive material. However, think along
    the lines of chemical or biological weapons instead - small
    metal cylinder, only weighs 120 grams, easy to expel aerosol
    form. That amount of anthrax could wreak some havoc (or at
    least cause a lot of panic).

    I'm not minimizing the amount of stupidity or laziness
    exhibited by the secruity guards at airports. However, it's
    nice to know they're at least try to earn their paychecks.

    - khill

  15. "whinds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Your [sic] not very creative are you?

    Oh yeah, and you are.

    Quoted message said:

    While an air pump may appear innocent it could also be a
    coponent of a possible weapon, Just like diesel oil and


    fertilizer.

    Yup ... JUST like a fertilizer bomb. In case you don't
    remember, the Oklahoma city bomb was parked outside the
    building in a van, and the components weighed quite a bit
    more than 120 grams.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you think the flight schools suspected that any of
    their school's


    students

    Quoted message said:

    were possible kamikze pilots?

    Nope ... and neither did the security guards at Logan
    airport either.

    Quoted message said:

    Inmates every day hoard various sundry items that are used
    as defensive and offensive weapons.

    That's because they're stuck in prison and have only limited
    items available to them. The choices of murder weapons for
    terrorists who are roaming free is much more vast. They
    don't have to settle for a razor blade melted into the head
    of a toothbrush.

    Quoted message said:

    A terrorist is not only interested in a big bang, his goal
    may be to cause doubt or fear by killing just one


    judge

    Quoted message said:

    which could be done with one .177 cal bullet and an
    air pump.

    Show me how you could kill someone with a .177 caliber BB
    and a bike pump. That would be hard to do with a proper
    one pump Russian made BB gun. Personally, I would just
    smuggle in a plastic resin knife taped to my underware and
    stab the judge. Hell, get fancy and make it out of carbon
    fiber. Why even bother trying to smuggle the super bike
    pump air gun into the courthouse in the first place? Just
    J.F.K. the judge in the parking lot with a .30-'06 from
    across the street. You could also kidnap a member of his
    family, or attack him at his home some night, or run him
    off the road on the way to work, or send him an envelope
    full of anthrax etc. etc.

    C.Q.C.

  16. "Badger_South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]... <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I'd have been tempted to take the tootsie roll out of the
    wrapper and hold it like a dagger and as it droops say
    'look out!', and make stabbing motions.

    I've always wondered when I see police officers and national
    guards at airports with M-16's and MP-5's ... what the hell
    are they going to do, open up on you if you did that?
    Seriously, under what circumstances are those fully
    automatic rifles truly useful?

    Quoted message said:

    Of course you might get threatened with a strip search for
    being a smartass. I'd only do it if the authority is a
    cute blonde female. :-p

    What makes you think she wouldn't have a bad attitude? "Come
    here cutie, let me show you what I confiscated this morning
    from some Rabbi." :-Þ

    C.Q.C.

  17. "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I've always wondered when I see police officers and
    national guards at airports with M-16's and MP-5's ...
    what the hell are they going to do,


    open

    Quoted message said:

    up on you if you did that? Seriously, under what
    circumstances are those fully automatic rifles truly
    useful?

    They're only full auto if they choose. Would you rather they
    be completely unarmed or outgunned?

    Pete

  18. khill said:

    Granted, a metal cylinder the size of a bicycle pump could
    not contain much explosive material. However, think along
    the lines of chemical or biological weapons instead - small
    metal cylinder, only weighs 120 grams, easy to expel
    aerosol form. That amount of anthrax could wreak some havoc
    (or at least cause a lot of panic).

    I'm not minimizing the amount of stupidity or laziness
    exhibited by the secruity guards at airports. However, it's
    nice to know they're at least try to earn their paychecks.

    I got stopped at gate security for the same reason a couple
    years ago. They wanted me to demostrate that it was indeed a
    funcitonal bike pump, then had no problem at all with it.

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.com Home of
    the $695 ti frame

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Q.' LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com said:

    Show me how you could kill someone with a .177 caliber BB
    and a bike pump.

    stuff this in your browser
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=kgb+ricin+bb>

    from the rest of your post, it is clear that you have
    perfect incomprehension of the problem at hand.

    Until you have acquired an at least passing acquaintance
    with counterterrorism issues, let your silence spare us the
    pain of witnessing your self-humiliation.

    .max

    --
    the part of <[email hidden]> was played by maxwell
    monningh 8-p

  20. On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:36:21 -0400, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com>

    Quoted message said:


    I've always wondered when I see police officers and
    national guards at airports with M-16's and MP-5's ... what
    the hell are they going to do, open up on you if you did
    that? Seriously, under what circumstances are those fully
    automatic rifles truly useful?

    In seven years in the military with the M-16 the primary
    weapon, I never fired the weapon on full automatic. Makes a
    fine weapon under almost all practical circumstances on semi-
    automatic. And the firing pin is easier to clean at the end
    of the day...

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
    two wheels...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.