Air pump won't inflate to pressure

He who loves harmonicas

Guest
I have a Blackburn Floor pump that I haven't used for about 3 years.
Before that it got very little use. This floor pump has the pressure
guage. When I went to pump up my tires on a recumbent that hasn't
been ridden since the last time I used the airpump, I naturally needed
to air the tires. The air pump could get the pressure up to about 80
lbs but then if not disconnected immediately the pressure would
quickly drop. The tires stayed inflated so I believe that it's the
pump that has the problem.

I would much appreciate suggestions on what I need to do to restore
the pump to it's original function specifications.

Thank you,
Jim

With the price of pumps these days I'd think it would be better just to buy
a new one

"He who loves harmonicas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Blackburn Floor pump that I haven't used for about 3 years.
> Before that it got very little use. This floor pump has the pressure
> guage. When I went to pump up my tires on a recumbent that hasn't
> been ridden since the last time I used the airpump, I naturally needed
> to air the tires. The air pump could get the pressure up to about 80
> lbs but then if not disconnected immediately the pressure would
> quickly drop. The tires stayed inflated so I believe that it's the
> pump that has the problem.
>
> I would much appreciate suggestions on what I need to do to restore
> the pump to it's original function specifications.
>
> Thank you,
> Jim

"He who loves harmonicas" wrote

> I have a Blackburn Floor pump that I haven't used for about 3 years.
> Before that it got very little use. This floor pump has the pressure
> guage. When I went to pump up my tires on a recumbent that hasn't
> been ridden since the last time I used the airpump, I naturally needed
> to air the tires. The air pump could get the pressure up to about 80
> lbs but then if not disconnected immediately the pressure would
> quickly drop. The tires stayed inflated so I believe that it's the
> pump that has the problem.
>
> I would much appreciate suggestions on what I need to do to restore
> the pump to it's original function specifications.

From the instruction manual:
http://www.blackburndesign.com/2004/Blackburn_Pump_manual.pdf

MAINTENANCE

EXTERIOR: Keep it clean! Wash pump with warm soapy
water to remove mud and dirt.
INTERIOR: Occasionally disassemble pump and wash
parts with warm, soapy water. Rinse, dry and
re- lubricate all rubber o- rings and inner barrel with a
general all- purpose light oil such as bicycle chain
lube.

If that doesn't help...

http://www.blackburndesign.com/2004/warranty_04.htm

LIFETIME WARRANTY.

FOR YEARS, WE'VE STOOD BEHIND OUR PRODUCTS WITH A LIFETIME
WARRANTY. IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH ONE OF OUR EXCELLENT PUMPS,
RACKS, TOOLS, MIRRORS OR CAGES, JUST SEND IT BACK AND WE'LL SEND
YOU A NEW ONE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

You could try taking some soapy water and wiping it around the areas
where the hose comes out of the pump and also where the hose conects
to the inflator attachment. This will show if you have an air leak.

Lewis.

*************

[email protected] (He who loves harmonicas) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Blackburn Floor pump that I haven't used for about 3 years.
> Before that it got very little use. This floor pump has the pressure
> guage. When I went to pump up my tires on a recumbent that hasn't
> been ridden since the last time I used the airpump, I naturally needed
> to air the tires. The air pump could get the pressure up to about 80
> lbs but then if not disconnected immediately the pressure would
> quickly drop. The tires stayed inflated so I believe that it's the
> pump that has the problem.
>
> I would much appreciate suggestions on what I need to do to restore
> the pump to it's original function specifications.
>
> Thank you,
> Jim

[email protected] (He who loves harmonicas) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Blackburn Floor pump that I haven't used for about 3 years.
> Before that it got very little use. This floor pump has the pressure
> guage. When I went to pump up my tires on a recumbent that hasn't
> been ridden since the last time I used the airpump, I naturally needed
> to air the tires. The air pump could get the pressure up to about 80
> lbs but then if not disconnected immediately the pressure would
> quickly drop. The tires stayed inflated so I believe that it's the
> pump that has the problem.

The check valve has gone bad- it probably dried out from neglect. As
others have said, try cleaning it. Also try lubricating the interior
with some light oil.

(Note: some oils will eat some plastic seals. I never had a problem
lubing my Silca pump with motor oil, but your Blackburn may be
different. At worst, you'll have an unusable pump- which is what you
have now.)

Jeff

"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (He who loves harmonicas) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have a Blackburn Floor pump that I haven't used for about 3 years.
> > Before that it got very little use. This floor pump has the pressure
> > guage. When I went to pump up my tires on a recumbent that hasn't
> > been ridden since the last time I used the airpump, I naturally needed
> > to air the tires. The air pump could get the pressure up to about 80
> > lbs but then if not disconnected immediately the pressure would
> > quickly drop. The tires stayed inflated so I believe that it's the
> > pump that has the problem.
> >

> The check valve has gone bad- it probably dried out from neglect. As
> others have said, try cleaning it. Also try lubricating the interior
> with some light oil.
>
> (Note: some oils will eat some plastic seals. I never had a problem
> lubing my Silca pump with motor oil, but your Blackburn may be
> different. At worst, you'll have an unusable pump- which is what you
> have now.)
>
> Jeff

The best lube I have found for the Silca leather seal is Vaseline. It gives
a good long lasting seal and doesn't break the leather down. I don't use
oil at all.

skip