I am planning a European airline trip in September and need some advice on Bicycle airline travel cases.
I have used the Trico Sports Iron Case in the past. It was a great case, but I sold it because I think their might be something better. I agree that the hard Iron Case was fairly easy to pack and always protected my bike perfectly which is the most important thing to me. The reason why I am looking for something else is because the Iron Case is somewhat bulky (which I could live with), but the thing that really bothers me is that the large gray case draws a lot of attention at the airport.
One time I returned from Germany to Atlanta shortly after September 11th and they denied the Iron Case belonged to me although my name and address was on the case and I had a claim ticket for it. After I assured the oversize baggage attendant that the case was mine, then I was asked to unlock it and pull everything out where they could inspect it. I said "no problem" and proceeded to pull everything out and then re-pack so I could exit the airport. I got stopped 2 more times before I was able to exit the airport because I was told that I was moving a "suspicious package". Needless to say that it took me 5 hours to get from baggage claim to my parked car in the Atlanta terminal. This is why I sold the case, however, I still need to take my bike with me on air travel.
I am looking at the soft sided cases like the Bike Pro USA Race Case and the Sci Con Bike Travel Bag. I think these may be less conspicuous and at least easier to show the airport securitry folks what's inside. Please give me your experiences or opinions on these points. Are there any issues with how well these soft sided cases protect the bicycle from the airtport baggage gorillas?. Thank you.