So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that All-Clad has two that might fit my needs.
One is a 12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and costs ~$100. The other is
their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would think that the
12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality. Anybody have
either or both of these and who could comment? TIA
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
All-Clad Multicooker vs. Pasta Pentola
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 2 March 2004
- Last activity
- 25 December 2014
- Original author
- Eric
- Posts
- 16
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 3,676
- Views / 30 days
- 10
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Eric said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that All-Clad has two that might fit my
needs. One is a 12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and costs ~$100. The
other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality.
Anybody have either or both of these and who could comment? TIADon't waste $100 on a pot that is basically going to be used to boil water... plus unless your
cooking for an army the 12qt is rather large and hard to wash... I'd go for a 7qt... This is the
best pot I own and is MUCH MUCH better in terms of quality than the All-Clad Multicooker...~john
--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun
registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our
lead into the future!" -- Adolph [censored], 1935"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms
is the goal." -- Janet Reno US Attorney General -
Eric said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that All-Clad has two that might fit my
needs. One is a 12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and costs ~$100. The
other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality.
Anybody have either or both of these and who could comment? TIATo answer your question... I own the All-Clad Multicooker. It is NOT multi-clad... just SS with a
thick bottom... I believe the Pasta Pentola is true clad... SS - aluminum - SS... the Multicooker is
rather flimsy compared to my Piazza...~john
--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun
registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our
lead into the future!" -- Adolph [censored], 1935"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms
is the goal." -- Janet Reno US Attorney General -
If you really want a 12 qt go to this site and buy the cuisinart! amazon.com102Open ↗
2707774-2443329?v=glance&s=kitchen We have 100 pieces of cuisinart stainless in our home and aren't
unhappy with any of them. If you want to steam, as we do now and then, go to the nearest Chinese
hardware store and buy a 30cm. steamer, for about 30 bucks. For pasta on one hand and for steaming
anything on the other hand both will work much better by a wide margin than what you are
considering. The cuisinart pot as all cuisinarts have a pouring lip. All Clad doesn't even know what
that word means! The steaming inserts they put in stock pots aren't worth a fermented bit of feces.
I have one and have used it once. The Chinese steamer is a modern version of the old bamboo steamer,
which I used yesterday, and will serve you a long time. I use it to steam live Dungeness crab
frequently. Good Luck Kent BTW, as you can see, both of the above products will set your back about
65 bucks. If you are a certified T-wad as I am you will be happy.Levelwave© said:
Eric said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that All-Clad has two that might fit my
needs. One is a 12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and costs ~$100. The
other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive, but obviously it's not the same
quality. Anybody have either or both of these and who could comment? TIADon't waste $100 on a pot that is basically going to be used to boil water... plus unless your
cooking for an army the 12qt is rather large and hard to wash... I'd go for a 7qt... This is the
best pot I own and is MUCH MUCH better in terms of quality than the All-Clad Multicooker...~john
--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun
registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our
lead into the future!" -- Adolph [censored], 1935"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms
is the goal." -- Janet Reno US Attorney General -
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that All-Clad has two that might fit my
needs. One is a 12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and costs ~$100. The
other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality.
Anybody have either or both of these and who could comment? TIARegardless of the difference, I question why anyone would spend $100 let alone $230 on a pot to boil
water. Do you really need a 12 qt. pasta pot? If so then I guess that I would get the one for $100.
If you only need a 7 qt. pot with a pasta insert, then there are many options. Look at K-Mart for
the Martha Stewart line, or at other discount stores for similar items. I have a Wolfgang Puck 8 qt.
stock pot with pasta insert and steamer and it works great. You can get it open stock here for under
$40. tinyurl.com33l8vOpen ↗ -
Vox Humana said:
Regardless of the difference, I question why anyone would spend $100 let alone $230 on a pot to
boil water. Do you really need a 12 qt. pasta pot? If so then I guess that I would get the one for
$100. If you only need a 7 qt. pot with a pasta insert, then there are many options. Look at K-
Mart for the Martha Stewart line, or at other discount stores for similar items. I have a Wolfgang
Puck 8 qt. stock pot with pasta insert and steamer and it works great.No, for a pasta or crab pot it's fine to go cheap. The food isn't really in contact with the pot so
all you need is something that will boil water in large quantity. But for a sauce pan or frying pay,
or some other pot that actually exerts some effect on the food it comes in contact with, the
materials, size and weight does matter. Goomba -
"Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Vox Humana said:
Regardless of the difference, I question why anyone would spend $100 let alone $230 on a pot to
boil water. Do you really need a 12 qt. pasta
pot?Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If so then I guess that I would get the one for $100. If you only need
a 7Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
qt. pot with a pasta insert, then there are many options. Look at
K-MartQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
for the Martha Stewart line, or at other discount stores for similar
items.Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I have a Wolfgang Puck 8 qt. stock pot with pasta insert and steamer and
itQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
works great.
No, for a pasta or crab pot it's fine to go cheap. The food isn't really
inQuoted message said:
contact with the pot so all you need is something that will boil water in
largeQuoted message said:
quantity. But for a sauce pan or frying pay, or some other pot that
actuallyQuoted message said:
exerts some effect on the food it comes in contact with, the materials,
sizeQuoted message said:
and weight does matter. Goomba
I agree, however this has been discussed ad-nauseum on the various food newsgroups. People always
point to theoretical advantages of the high-end cookware over disk bottom cookware, but there is no
objective data to prove that a $200 sauce pan is better than a $20 sauce pan. I have tri-ply
cookware and have used other people's tri-ply cookware. Most of mine in the cheap Wolfgang Puck SS
cookware with a disk on the bottom. I can't see any material differences among the brands. I suppose
that if you have some very specific need, then spending big bucks on a specialized tool makes sense.
For 99% of everyday cooking needs, I think that you can use cookware that is far less expensive than
the likes of All-Clad or any of the even more expensive alternatives. If it weren't for the
reactivity factor and it's inability to go in the dishwasher, I would use heavy aluminum cookware. I
guess I am lucky in the fact that I get good results from inexpensive cookware and don't have the
"princess and the pea" complex that makes me unable to tolerate a particular handle shape or weight
distribution in a pan. -
"Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Vox Humana said:
Regardless of the difference, I question why anyone would spend $100 let alone $230 on a pot to
boil water. Do you really need a 12 qt. pasta
pot?Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If so then I guess that I would get the one for $100. If you only need
a 7Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
qt. pot with a pasta insert, then there are many options. Look at
K-MartQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
for the Martha Stewart line, or at other discount stores for similar
items.Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I have a Wolfgang Puck 8 qt. stock pot with pasta insert and steamer and
itQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
works great.
No, for a pasta or crab pot it's fine to go cheap. The food isn't really
inQuoted message said:
contact with the pot so all you need is something that will boil water in
largeQuoted message said:
quantity. But for a sauce pan or frying pay, or some other pot that
actuallyQuoted message said:
exerts some effect on the food it comes in contact with, the materials,
sizeQuoted message said:
and weight does matter. Goomba
I agree, however this has been discussed ad-nauseum on the various food newsgroups. People always
point to theoretical advantages of the high-end cookware over disk bottom cookware, but there is no
objective data to prove that a $200 sauce pan is better than a $20 sauce pan. I have tri-ply
cookware and have used other people's tri-ply cookware. Most of mine in the cheap Wolfgang Puck SS
cookware with a disk on the bottom. I can't see any material differences among the brands. I suppose
that if you have some very specific need, then spending big bucks on a specialized tool makes sense.
For 99% of everyday cooking needs, I think that you can use cookware that is far less expensive than
the likes of All-Clad or any of the even more expensive alternatives. If it weren't for the
reactivity factor and it's inability to go in the dishwasher, I would use heavy aluminum cookware. I
guess I am lucky in the fact that I get good results from inexpensive cookware and don't have the
"princess and the pea" complex that makes me unable to tolerate a particular handle shape or weight
distribution in a pan. -
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that
All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is a 12Qt.
Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and
costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which
costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive,
but obviously it's not the same quality. Anybody have
either or both of these and who could comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt. stainless
steel, multi cooker for $39.99. Seems like a better deal
than $100-$230. -
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that
All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is a 12Qt.
Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and
costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which
costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive,
but obviously it's not the same quality. Anybody have
either or both of these and who could comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt. stainless
steel, multi cooker for $39.99. Seems like a better deal
than $100-$230. -
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed that
All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is a 12Qt.
Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer insert and
costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta Pentola which
costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in cost? I would
think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be more expensive,
but obviously it's not the same quality. Anybody have
either or both of these and who could comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt. stainless
steel, multi cooker for $39.99. Seems like a better deal
than $100-$230. -
"Janet Bostwick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed
that All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is a
12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer
insert and costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta
Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in
cost? I would think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be
more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality.
Anybody have either or both of these and who could
comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt.
stainless steel, multi cooker for $39.99. Seems like a
better deal than $100-$230.Williams-Sonoma has a nice 8 qt. disk bottom pot with pasta
insert, steamer, and lid for $49. HSN.com has a Wolfgang
puck multi-pot for $39. Either would be a better deal than
the $100-$230 pots. -
"Janet Bostwick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed
that All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is a
12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer
insert and costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta
Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in
cost? I would think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be
more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality.
Anybody have either or both of these and who could
comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt.
stainless steel, multi cooker for $39.99. Seems like a
better deal than $100-$230.Williams-Sonoma has a nice 8 qt. disk bottom pot with pasta
insert, steamer, and lid for $49. HSN.com has a Wolfgang
puck multi-pot for $39. Either would be a better deal than
the $100-$230 pots. -
"Janet Bostwick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed
that All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is a
12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer
insert and costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta
Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in
cost? I would think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would be
more expensive, but obviously it's not the same quality.
Anybody have either or both of these and who could
comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt.
stainless steel, multi cooker for $39.99. Seems like a
better deal than $100-$230.Williams-Sonoma has a nice 8 qt. disk bottom pot with pasta
insert, steamer, and lid for $49. HSN.com has a Wolfgang
puck multi-pot for $39. Either would be a better deal than
the $100-$230 pots. -
"Vox Humana" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Janet Bostwick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Eric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
So I'm in the market for a new pasta pot and noticed
that All-Clad has two that might fit my needs. One is
a 12Qt. Multicooker that has both a pasta and steamer
insert and costs ~$100. The other is their 7Qt. Pasta
Pentola which costs ~$230. Why the huge difference in
cost? I would think that the 12Qt. Multicooker would
be more expensive, but obviously it's not the same
quality. Anybody have either or both of these and who
could comment? TIAToday, March 8, Amazon.com has the Calphalon 8-qt.
stainless steel,
multiQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
cooker for $39.99. Seems like a better deal than
$100-$230.Williams-Sonoma has a nice 8 qt. disk bottom pot with
pasta insert,
steamer,Quoted message said:
and lid for $49. HSN.com has a Wolfgang puck multi-pot
for $39. Either would be a better deal than the $100-
$230 pots.
Yes, sounds like the Williams-Sonoma is the same thing.
Actually, there is a one-day sale with up to 60% off going
on at Amazon today. Le Creuset, Cuisinart, All-Clad,
Henckels etc. Darn shame that I don't need anything.
tinyurl.com23f2sOpen ↗ Janet -
In the multicooker I cook almost everything - yogurt, bread, cakes, fries, rice, soups (all scored and ready), obtained excellent fried chicken. Now they have become quite clever, I remember in my first an old Panasonic was only 6 programs, but recently changed it, on the advice of a neighbor, a new Redmond 4502, it have more than 30 programs , you can make your own recipes, more convenient to change the temperature in the cooking process - first fry the meat, then simmer them with rice or vegetables baked at a low temperature, and popcorn does not burn. True design I do not like. Who can suggest new and interesting recipes food for men in multicooker - want to teach my husband to use, so as not to die of starvation, when I'm not at home
))))[IMG]file://localhost/Users/user/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.