all mountain bike for XC race?

christd

Feb 28, 2006
my Jamis XLT got stolen last week, got to buy a new bike, got into some races last year, loved 'em, still the majority of my riding (85%) is all-mountain style. is there a bike out there that can offer me the performance of an XC and still give me the confidence to take those hits like an all-mountain bike?

christd said:
my Jamis XLT got stolen last week, got to buy a new bike, got into some races last year, loved 'em, still the majority of my riding (85%) is all-mountain style. is there a bike out there that can offer me the performance of an XC and still give me the confidence to take those hits like an all-mountain bike?
one or two chamillians that pop into mind are the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and the Kona Dawg, Both give 5"travel and are still light enough to do the XC riding

Ha, i recently had the same thought as you...All Mountain Bike for XC. Considered a Giant VT?...im not sure if they are still in the line up....otherwise the Reign...i think thats the model that has superceeded the VT...its a 5'' bike and is light enough to tackle your hits etc.

long story short - i wanted a bike to play around on, rather than wear 'n tear on the race bike.
although somewhat expensive, i picked up a Trek fuel ex 7 frame from a guy, put a marzocchi fork on, and even though the bike is somewhat heavy, turns out i like racing on it better than my hardtail, and actually do just as well in the races.

<-- it's the bike in my avatar/photo on the left

AngoXC said:
Ha, i recently had the same thought as you...All Mountain Bike for XC. Considered a Giant VT?...im not sure if they are still in the line up....otherwise the Reign...i think thats the model that has superceeded the VT...its a 5'' bike and is light enough to tackle your hits etc.
No, it's the Giant Trance. That's your best, awesome bet. It's beefier than the Anthem, but not super heavy or burly. Adam Craig races one for Endurance events, and had his down to 28.8lb. It's a really awesome, well priced do-it-all mountain bike. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for that. Otherwise, yeah the Reign is the beefier bike with more travel. The other suggestions you guys made are good picks too.

Rock on!

Oh....im just a bit out of date then. I thought the Reign was AM, and the Trance was XC....but looking on the website, your right. The Regin is more a heavy duty All Mountain rig, where as the Trance is AM/XC...(a trail bike) The Anthem seems to be a strictly XC bike. Well that clarifys a bit for me!....Go the Trance!

AngoXC said:
Oh....im just a bit out of date then. I thought the Reign was AM, and the Trance was XC....but looking on the website, your right. The Regin is more a heavy duty All Mountain rig, where as the Trance is AM/XC...(a trail bike) The Anthem seems to be a strictly XC bike. Well that clarifys a bit for me!....Go the Trance!
:cool:

My Ride is a Reign 2 it is all mountain think weighs in around 14kgs plus. not sure in lbs. Reign is not bad going up but my friends on hardtails and XC bikes leave me behind a little on long graded uphill trails (could be my fitness??haha) but downhill technical is where it's sweetness shows.
On technical climbs over bolders, rocks and rolling hills, its a great bike and holds its own. It may be even better with some tweaking of the supsepension etc. It's a good all rounder for me.
Someone suggest 4 foot drops were about the limits for the Reign but the R 3 needed few upgrades like in forks to make it a good performer.

I think if you lean towards XC like for racing etc. an XC bike with around 4inches travel might be lighter and more efficient in pedalling especially uphill. Something I would appreciate more and I would go for something closer in the lower ranges to what the pro XC riders have if cost is a constraint.

Peace!

I would suggest the Specialized Stumpjumper series! I've been running one for a year now and use it in xc and marathon races.
It weighs 28 lbs, check that out against most full suspension dedicated xc bikes, has 5" of travel with lock-out on the front and 3 settings (lock-out, pro pedal and full open) on the rear. It climbs very well and screams on the downhills. I am going to use it in a Super D thats coming up.

The norco bikes are next, the Trance bike is a very nice setup at a little lower cost than the Specialized.

I have a Santa Cruz Blur LT with XTR XC kit. Light strong and great trail bike.

christd said:
My wife rides a Blur, my daughter a Stumpjumper FSR, I'm on an Id...all great XC bikes, but the new Specialized Enduro will blow most of the current XC/AM bikes out of the water. 6" travel, extremely light, geared for climbs and speed but will stand up to 4' drops

nice bike...I'm getting one next week