I work in a bike shop and there are two bike computers with altitude tracking available from our suppliers, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 and the Cat Eye CC-AT100 Altimeter.
It's hard to know from bullet points in a catalogue which is better, obviously. The Cat Eye also does temperature and claims that its altitude tracking is more accurate because it adjusts for temperature. The Delphi 6.0 is also a heart rate monitor so if their altitude functions are equal then I'll go with it, but if the Cat Eye truly is a better altimeter then I'd get a separate HR monitor.
Does anyone know anything about these altimeters, or have any experience with them, that would be of value to me. Thanks in advance. 🙂
I work in a bike shop and there are two bike computers with altitude tracking available from our suppliers, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 and the Cat Eye CC-AT100 Altimeter.
Quoted message said:
It's hard to know from bullet points in a catalogue which is better, obviously. The Cat Eye also does temperature and claims that its altitude tracking is more accurate because it adjusts for temperature.
-snip-
An altimeter w/o temp. comp. is next to useless, in my experience. I have observed as much as a 400-foot variation caused by temp. changes. I would go w/ the Cat Eye, & get HR info elsewhere. Or consider a Polar or other brand that gives both. Some Polars have temp. compensated altimeters. I'm not sure they all do. If your shop is a QBP shop, I believe they carry Polar. Polar is a very fine company w/ great customer service.
"shawnews" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht news:IX7Nf.82718$H%4.63827@pd7tw2no...
Quoted message said:
I work in a bike shop and there are two bike computers with altitude tracking available from our suppliers, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 and the
Cat
Quoted message said:
Eye CC-AT100 Altimeter.
It's hard to know from bullet points in a catalogue which is better, obviously. The Cat Eye also does temperature and claims that its altitude tracking is more accurate because it adjusts for temperature. The Delphi 6.0 is also a heart rate monitor so if their altitude functions are equal then I'll go with it, but if the Cat Eye truly is a better altimeter then I'd get a separate HR monitor.
Does anyone know anything about these altimeters, or have any
experience
Quoted message said:
with them, that would be of value to me. Thanks in advance. 🙂
I cannot answer your question unfortumately. But I have an other related question. In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter and a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I cannot buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy one in other countries? Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?
In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter and a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I cannot buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy one in other countries? Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?
Hans,
What kind of demand would there be for an altimeter in Holland?
"Robert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Hans wrote: -----8<---cut
Quoted message said:
In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter
and
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I
cannot
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy
one
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
in other countries? Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?
Hans,
What kind of demand would there be for an altimeter in Holland?
You'd need a v-e-r-r-y sensitive one...
And in places, one that measured depth as well as altitude... -- Typoes are a feature, not a bug. Some gardening required to reply via email. Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
Altimeter of this sort do not actually measure altitude, they only measure air pressure (similar to an aircraft altimeter). So the altitude measurement is effectively a pressure-based measurement of "pressure altitdue" (GPS performs a distance-based measurement of actual altitude).
When these altimeters measure pressure they convert the pressure measurement to the altitude defined in ISA which is simply a mathematical model of atmosphere. The big problem with pressure based altimeters is distinguishing between changes in pressure due to altitude change (as you increase altitude pressure decreases) and pressure changes due to the weather changing - generally speaking they cant. Pilots periodically recalibrate using the altimeter air pressure for a known altitude and you are supposed recalibrate your altimeter before every ride - this process in itself is a little "ify" since it generally based on knowing the current value for sea level air pressure and your current altitude.
I suspect the Cat Eye baraometer temperature reading just reads temperature and has no bearing on the altitude derivation. I own a number of altimeters and they cant distingush between air pressure change due to altitude change and/or weather change - despite the burb about advanced algorithms...
Altimeters are great little gadgets and if you calibrate them before a ride they are probably acurrate to +/- 3 m during the ride itself.
I had a cateye model about 5 years ago with the altimeter function. Worked a few weeks then keep reseting on it's own. chucked it. While it worked the altimeter function seemed somewhat accurate. Within a few hundred feet at the high passes in colorado. You could adjust it for varying air pressure but that was too much bother on a daily basis.
I have a planet bike computer with built in thermometer. It's rather inaccurate. Direct sunlight runs the temp up an extra 10-15 degrees. Ride with the unit in the shade of your body and the temp drops. The sunnier the day, the more it heats up in that little plastic box.
Also have an Avocet watch with the altimeter function. A used gift. Been sent in for repair many times by the previous owner. used it once during a yosemite trip for fun.
So what do you want from an altimeter? Just to know your current altitude? Total climb for the day's ride? Down load the days ride into your pc and see a profile of the altitude changes? Calculate percent grade during the ride? Or do you just want a toy with lots of buttons.