Aluminium frame corrosion?

Ritch

Guest
Hi folks,

I have a 1998 Giant Peleton 8200. It has an aluminium frame, at least
according to the "6061 Aluminium T6" sticker on the downtube. The
problem is that it looks like there are some bubbles appearing under
the paint, near the downtube bottle cage. I thought Al frames were
corrosion resistant? Perhaps a materials expert can shed some light on
whether some corrosion is expected over six years on an Al frame...

FYI - I take reasonable care - we don't have salty roads, I don't live
close to the beach, but I do ride in the rain (not by preference).

Cheers,
Ritch

On 29 May 2004 18:58:05 -0700, [email protected] (Ritch) wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I have a 1998 Giant Peleton 8200. It has an aluminium frame, at least
>according to the "6061 Aluminium T6" sticker on the downtube. The
>problem is that it looks like there are some bubbles appearing under
>the paint, near the downtube bottle cage. I thought Al frames were
>corrosion resistant? Perhaps a materials expert can shed some light on
>whether some corrosion is expected over six years on an Al frame...
>
>FYI - I take reasonable care - we don't have salty roads, I don't live
>close to the beach, but I do ride in the rain (not by preference).
>
>Cheers,
>Ritch

Aluminum can still corrode. Take a look at an old raw aluminum window
frame one day.

It could also be the paint itself, not the underlying aluminum.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:02:21 -0700, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 29 May 2004 18:58:05 -0700, [email protected] (Ritch) wrote:
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I have a 1998 Giant Peleton 8200. It has an aluminium frame, at least
>>according to the "6061 Aluminium T6" sticker on the downtube. The
>>problem is that it looks like there are some bubbles appearing under
>>the paint, near the downtube bottle cage. I thought Al frames were
>>corrosion resistant? Perhaps a materials expert can shed some light on
>>whether some corrosion is expected over six years on an Al frame...
>>
>>FYI - I take reasonable care - we don't have salty roads, I don't live
>>close to the beach, but I do ride in the rain (not by preference).
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Ritch

>Aluminum can still corrode. Take a look at an old raw aluminum window
>frame one day.
>
>It could also be the paint itself, not the underlying aluminum.

My guess is that the powder coating has a problem.
Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

That's happened to every Cannondale I've owned. I thought it was just MY
toxic sweat getting under the paint. - Bill
news:[email protected]...