I currently own a Klein Quantum and am thinking of getting a new BMC SL01. I've read nothing but positive reviews of it, but I noticed that BMC's welds don't look as nice or smooth as my Klein. Am I just spoiled by the excellent welds that Klein uses, or are the BMC's "sloppy"?
Yea i was always wondering how they smoothen the welds... blow torch or something?
They smooth the welds by welding over the bead again. I do a bit of welding and passing the torch over it lets it fill in the little gaps in the bead. It is a bit stronger but hard to do properly. Sanding or blowtorching could weaken the welds, so it is generally avoided. Trust me mate, get a BMC. It is the best bike I have ever owned. The swiss design is genious (notice a bias) and it is by far the best cornering bike and the best out of the saddle in the price range. The crosslock thing makes it quite comfortable, and funny thing, it is stiffer than Giants flagship TCR Advanced. They do smooth the welds at the bottom bracket junction for some added stiffness (but only on the chain-stay side). It may look sloppy but build it up and it will look immaculate. Hope to see another BMC rider on the forum 😉
They smooth the welds by welding over the bead again. I do a bit of welding and passing the torch over it lets it fill in the little gaps in the bead. It is a bit stronger but hard to do properly. Sanding or blowtorching could weaken the welds, so it is generally avoided. Trust me mate, get a BMC. It is the best bike I have ever owned. The swiss design is genious (notice a bias) and it is by far the best cornering bike and the best out of the saddle in the price range. The crosslock thing makes it quite comfortable, and funny thing, it is stiffer than Giants flagship TCR Advanced. They do smooth the welds at the bottom bracket junction for some added stiffness (but only on the chain-stay side). It may look sloppy but build it up and it will look immaculate. Hope to see another BMC rider on the forum 😉
I've been checking out BMC's new website with the '07's. Too bad it only comes in Orange and Yellow...I really liked the gray/silver color as pictured above.
I also own a Klein (Q Pro Carbon Team) and can attest to the beauty of their welds. My Cannandale CAAD8 is rather nice as well. I will agree the look of the weld doesn't make it any stronger. I've ridden generic Taiwan AL frames with rough looking welds that were great rides. Klein caters to a higher end clintele and thus must feel the look is very important.
Never ridden one, but the shop I ride for is a BMC dealer and he has been selling quite a few of them. Couple of teammates speak highly of them as well.