Am I in "Clydesdale" territory?

Doug Herr

Guest
Howdy good folk.

The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years, but
this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know that
I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie (and high
beer) diet.

At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

--
Doug Herr
doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

Doug Herr wrote:
> Howdy good folk.
>
> The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
>
> I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years, but
> this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
> together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
>
> I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
> about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know that
> I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie (and high
> beer) diet.
>
> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?
>
> --
> Doug Herr
> doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

Maybe if you shrink a few inches.
You've got potential, but I'd throw you back.
/s
6'2, 215lbs and rising...

Doug Herr wrote:
> Howdy good folk.

Who came in?

> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

No.

JD

Doug Herr wrote:
> Howdy good folk.
>
> The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
>
> I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
> but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
> together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
>
> I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
> about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
> that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
> (and high beer) diet.
>
> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
fast.

Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Doug Herr wrote:
>
>>Howdy good folk.
>>
>>The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
>>
>>I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years, but
>>this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
>>together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
>>
>>I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
>>about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know that
>>I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie (and high
>>beer) diet.
>>
>>At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?
>>
>>--
>>Doug Herr
>>doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

> Maybe if you shrink a few inches.

Hey that's me!
More like a overfed quarter horse.
:)

Shawn

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug Herr wrote:
>> Howdy good folk.
>>
>> The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
>>
>> I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
>> but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
>> together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
>>
>> I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
>> about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
>> that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
>> (and high beer) diet.
>>
>> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

> Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
> fast.
>
> Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.

That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.

Gary (thunder thighs) W.

GeeDubb wrote:

> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Doug Herr wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy good folk.
>>>
>>> The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
>>>
>>> I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
>>> but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
>>> together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
>>>
>>> I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
>>> about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
>>> that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
>>> (and high beer) diet.
>>>
>>> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

>> Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds
>> pretty fast.
>>
>> Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.
>>

> That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.
>
> Gary (thunder thighs) W.

Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

Psycho Mike

Doug Herr wrote:
> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

It always depends on your BF %age. I'm 5'10" and 195, but I don't think
I qualify as a Clydesdale. Just a bike rider who has a harder time
hauling that extra muscle mass up a mountain.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

GeeDubb wrote:
> That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.
>
> Gary (thunder thighs) W.

Whenever I work out regularly, my weight tends to increase too. Here I
am a lover of endurance activities, with a body that likes to build muscle.

"Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
>>> fast.
>>>
>>> Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.
>>>

>> That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.
>>
>> Gary (thunder thighs) W.

> Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

Oy... 5'5", 135lbs here... at least nobody can tell me to lose weight.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> "Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

> Oy... 5'5", 135lbs here... at least nobody can tell me to lose weight.

Oh I dunno. When I was road racing I was 5'8" 140-145 lbs and *knew* I
should be 10 lbs or so lighter to climb with the big boys. :)

Shawn

Michael Halliwell wrote:

> GeeDubb wrote:
>

>> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds
>>> pretty fast.
>>>
>>> Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.
>>>

>> That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.
>>
>> Gary (thunder thighs) W.

> Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.
>
> Psycho Mike

Y'all are sissies!
_____
Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

""Slack\"@" <"Slack\"@½³.org"> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael Halliwell wrote:
>
>> GeeDubb wrote:
>>

>>> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Gary (thunder thighs) W.

>> Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.
>>
>> Psycho Mike

> Y'all are sissies!
> _____
> Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

Chairlift-only territory?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Slack"@ <"Slack"@½³.org">" wrote:
> Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

Dude, you're in trouble. That's a dangerous place to be, health wise.
I know, I was very close to that. You need to curb your addiction to
food and get on the bike before serious complications set in like
Diabetes or heart trouble. You are nearing the obese range for your height.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:34:21 -0700, Raptor wrote:

> Doug Herr wrote:
>> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

> It always depends on your BF %age. I'm 5'10" and 195, but I don't think I
> qualify as a Clydesdale. Just a bike rider who has a harder time hauling
> that extra muscle mass up a mountain.

Yup, about as I expected. Thanks to all for the replies. Will head back
to the top of my list of un-read posts. If the biking bug does get me
then I am sure I will have a few more questions, but I am mostly the
lurker type.

--
Doug Herr
doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> ""Slack\"@" <"Slack\"@½³.org"> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Michael Halliwell wrote:

>>> Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.
>>>
>>> Psycho Mike

>> Y'all are sissies!
>> _____
>> Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

> Chairlift-only territory?

I thought Slack sold the beast and got himself a pedaling machine. The
question is then, why isn't he riding it?

~p.

Shawn wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>> "Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

>> Oy... 5'5", 135lbs here... at least nobody can tell me to lose weight.
>>

> Oh I dunno. When I was road racing I was 5'8" 140-145 lbs and *knew* I
> should be 10 lbs or so lighter to climb with the big boys. :)

I went from 6'2" and 160 lbs when I could climb with the big boys to
6'2" and 235 lbs when I was a beer drinking night owl to my current 6'1"
and 220 lbs struggling to get down to 195 and gain that inch of height back.

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
The battles we fought were long and hard

small change wrote:

> I thought Slack sold the beast and got himself a pedaling machine. The
> question is then, why isn't he riding it?

He's been too busy with his camera and taking photos of the big waves at
the beach:

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital.slr-systems/browse_thread/thread/573c2bab351da504/51ba2fcb771cd800?q=slack+insubject%3Athank&hl=en&>

Greg
--

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> "Slack"@ <"Slack"@½³.org">" wrote:
>
>> Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

> Dude, you're in trouble. That's a dangerous place to be, health wise. I
> know, I was very close to that. You need to curb your addiction to food
> and get on the bike before serious complications set in like Diabetes or
> heart trouble. You are nearing the obese range for your height.

Yeah, I know. I'm monitoring both and just tested. And my blood
pressure is good... I have a home tester because my lame doctor thought
I had HBP.

HbA1c: 6.1%
HDL: 56
LDL: 168
Tri: 136

I have get get my ass on the treadmill everyday, after work. Waiting for
the weekend doesn't cut it anymore... my metabolism is just too slow.
_____
Slack