Am I using too many hub bearings?

chas0039

Jun 23, 2007
I have only redone about 6 different front hub cone bearing replacements so this is my question. Some hubs seem to have bearings all around the race
while others look like they have a missing bearing (3/16). I have usually added an additional bearing when it allowed and there was no problem with fit or with the apparent function but I need to know if the additional bearing is going to create a problem. Also, is there any way to tell what is right other than hoping that the last guy who did the servicing was correctly.

Thanks guys.

chas0039 said:
I have only redone about 6 different front hub cone bearing replacements so this is my question. Some hubs seem to have bearings all around the race
while others look like they have a missing bearing (3/16). I have usually added an additional bearing when it allowed and there was no problem with fit or with the apparent function but I need to know if the additional bearing is going to create a problem. Also, is there any way to tell what is right other than hoping that the last guy who did the servicing was correctly.

Thanks guys.
If you have a race then just filled the available spots in the race, fill with grease and adjust.

If you don't have a race then just replace with the same number of ball bearings that you took out. It is possible to get to a situation such that if there are too many bearings tightly packed then you could incur extra friction from bearing to bearing contact - which is why a bearing retainer is usefull. If you have quality steel bearings then there shouldn't be a problem other than extra rolling resistance from the bearings.

What hubs are you concerned about? You can check the shimano tech docs for exploded diagrams, and the last few models of hubs are shown.

Other than DA and some of the latest wheelsets most shimano front hubs take 18x3/16 inch.

I would think somebody has used the "deleting one bearings for less friction/weight" theory. An even spacing of balls should be used, and unless a retainer is used you will always have ball to ball contact.

Phill P said:
What hubs are you concerned about? You can check the shimano tech docs for exploded diagrams, and the last few models of hubs are shown.

Other than DA and some of the latest wheelsets most shimano front hubs take 18x3/16 inch.

I would think somebody has used the "deleting one bearings for less friction/weight" theory. An even spacing of balls should be used, and unless a retainer is used you will always have ball to ball contact.

Older DA(7400 series/7600) is 11 3/16 per side and all others are 10 3/16 per side for shimano fronts-for info.

To clarify, I am looking at front cone hubs with loose bearings. The one I am looking at now is about 15 years old from Shimano and uses 5/32 bearings. I will get a count when I get back to the garage but from what I have read it won't help as people say both 9 and 10 are common. When I look at the fit as I open what the last guy did, for all intents and purposes, there is a missing bearing. When I add an additional bearing, the fit is still loose with room for the grease between and around and the bearing moove smoothly and are easy to add and remove so I am in no way forcing. The weird part is that I have seen this now at least three times, mostly I think on bikes from 15-20 years old.

It looks to my like I am doing the right thing as the space left as I see it when I open the hub is very large and the fit when I add the new bearing is still loose and smooth.

chas0039 said:
To clarify, I am looking at front cone hubs with loose bearings. The one I am looking at now is about 15 years old from Shimano and uses 5/32 bearings. I will get a count when I get back to the garage but from what I have read it won't help as people say both 9 and 10 are common. When I look at the fit as I open what the last guy did, for all intents and purposes, there is a missing bearing. When I add an additional bearing, the fit is still loose with room for the grease between and around and the bearing moove smoothly and are easy to add and remove so I am in no way forcing. The weird part is that I have seen this now at least three times, mostly I think on bikes from 15-20 years old.

It looks to my like I am doing the right thing as the space left as I see it when I open the hub is very large and the fit when I add the new bearing is still loose and smooth.
Are you sure that the correct bearings are 5/32? The only front wheel bearings that I have ever seen in Shimano are 3/16, and this is going way back into the 1970's.

I think an issue is whether the cones are forced to sit too high. If they sit at the same height with 9 vs 10 then you're fine.

Maybe some rebuilders toss out the retainer and old balls but feel they need to use the same number of balls as before.

The only way the balls won't rub together sometimes is if you use a retainer. However, if you use a retainer then the balls will rub against the retainer. Also, they will be trying to pump grease via fluid friction through the very small space between ball and retainer.

kdelong said:
Are you sure that the correct bearings are 5/32? The only front wheel bearings that I have ever seen in Shimano are 3/16, and this is going way back into the 1970's.
Sorry, my error. That's what comes from posting too early in the AM.

And the cones fit just as before so I will assume I am OK.

Thanks for all the help guys. Bikes are weird sometimes so I cannot always count on what makes sense.

Peter@vecchios said:
Older DA(7400 series/7600) is 11 3/16 per side and all others are 10 3/16 per side for shimano fronts-for info.
TYPO

the rear takes 18x1/4inch, front takes 22x3/16. Sorry got it backwards for some reason when typing....