John Laird <[email hidden]> wrote in
:"]news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:
I didn't say because it was too embarrassing ! While my
knee recovers, I don't want to push the boat out, so we
are just doing an easy amble around Wansfell, possibly
detouring into Troutbeck to check the pu^h^h facilities.
As such, it doesn't really matter where we park, although
I've not yet seen the suggested route so am not entirely
sure which end of town is preferable.
If you plan to visit Troutbeck, John, I recommend the fairly
level walk from Ambleside to Troutbeck via Jenkin Crag and
Robin Lane, then return over Wansfell via Nanny Lane. Make
for Baystones from the higher reaches of Nanny Lane then
head south for the more popular summit, and return direct to
Ambleside via StockGhyll. The anticlockwise direction will
be kinder to your knee.
There are ways up onto Wansfell from the Jenkin Crag area
but these are not good when the bracken gets going, and you
would miss the charm of the unmetalled lanes.
Stuart