Quoted post said:Originally posted by yash
I'm not really sure. It depends what do you call western world and how does western diet look like. According to my data racing cyclist needs 1,4-1,6g of protein per kg of body weight(for me, 67kg, it is 94-107g per day). Hi-protein foods such as chicken/turkey breast, fish, lean beef or white cheese contain no more than 20% protein in their mass. I'm not sure if an average western man/woman does eat 0.5kg hi-quality protein products a day. It's fully possible to do that, but it does require some planning and attention, so I wouldn't say it is highly unlikely to get in protein-deficency. Even though many people eat a lot of meat in fastfoods, fry it for dinner etc people involved in sports don't eat such things(or not so often). They know that it is essential to provide energy for their training. So they eat mostly carbo-rich foods(so i think that 'western' habits don't work any more). protein doesn't seem as important, so there's a risk of deficiency. It does happen. Early in my racing I wouldn't bother with protein. Everyone around'd say carbscarbscarbs. So i ate a lot of pasta bread and cereal. I'd use carbohydrate supplement after a ride. But it didnt work well. I did lose a lot off muscle mass which is important for a mtbiker. i felt tired. Now I try to keep protein high, switched from carbo-supplement to a Gainer(13,5g protein per 100gr serving)after a ride and it works really fine. I consider BCAA supplementation as well. So i don't think that's good to say that people don't have to worry about protein intake.
Cheers
yash
There's plenty of protein in 'non-protein' foods (i.e., foods that we don't typically think of as being protein based, such as pasta, cereal, legumes, etc.)
Research and data analysis has shown that most people eat a surfeit of protein including vegetarians. possible exceptions are e.g., fruitarians, vegans, and people on strict weight loss diets, etc.
The ACSM position stand on Nutrition and Athletic Performance states that "it is worth noting that the customary diets of most athletes provide sufficient protein to cover even the increased amounts that may be needed" (p 2135).
Additionally, "if protein intake was even as low as 10% of energy intake absolute protein intake would exceed the recommendations for protein intake for athletes" when the diet meets the required energy input level.
In other words, assuming that you are eating enough to maintain weight or loose weight slowly and have enough carbs in your diet (as these spare protein requirements), it's highly unlikely that you'd need protein supplementation.
By way of a personal example, i'm a strict vegetarian, and thought i may have problems meeting the requirements. however, after analysing my diet, my intake was ~ 2.0 g/kg protein per day. in most cases you'd be hard pushed to find an under protein eater.
ric