Cycling Training · Public discussion

Ammonia odor after hard ride

Started by Mister C · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,408 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
25 September 2007
Last activity
25 September 2007
Original author
Mister C
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,408
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After a particularly hard ride I have noticed the distinct odor of ammonia. It doesn't seem to be coming from my (sweaty) clothing.

    I had my wife take a good long sniff (bless her heart) and she does not smell the ammonia odor, just a sweatier version of the guy who left the house several hours earlier.

    After 15 minutes or so, the odor is not longer noticeable to me.

    Any idea what this could be?

  2. You went catabolic it's the opposite of anabolic it means you were burning protein that is counterproductive. Take it down a notch stay hydrated and keep sugar levels up while training and during the critical half hour after a ride.

    Mister C said:

    After a particularly hard ride I have noticed the distinct odor of ammonia. It doesn't seem to be coming from my (sweaty) clothing.

    I had my wife take a good long sniff (bless her heart) and she does not smell the ammonia odor, just a sweatier version of the guy who left the house several hours earlier.

    After 15 minutes or so, the odor is not longer noticeable to me.

    Any idea what this could be?

  3. wiredued said:

    You went catabolic it's the opposite of anabolic it means you were burning protein that is counterproductive. Take it down a notch stay hydrated and keep sugar levels up while training.

    Thanks Wiredued. I would rather not take it down a notch. So I suppose the alternative is to eat more (paticularly complex carbs and protein) before and during the ride. And make sure to eat a good recovery meal immediately after the ride.

  4. The critical half hour edit is more for making you feel better within 24hrs for consecutive day training or racing. Here's a link DaveR sent me carbboom.comrecovery.php it was very helpful to me.

    Mister C said:

    Thanks Wiredued. I would rather not take it down a notch. So I suppose the alternative is to eat more (paticularly complex carbs and protein) before and during the ride. And make sure to eat a good recovery meal immediately after the ride.

  5. wiredued said:

    The critical half hour edit is more for making you feel better within 24hrs for consecutive day training or racing. Here's a link DaveR sent me carbboom.comrecovery.php it was very helpful to me.


    Thanks again. That article was helpful. I am definitely not eating enough and the article provides some helpful numbers towards doing so.

  6. Funny - I've experienced a similar thing and have been wondering about it. I've noticed it in the shower after rides, after soaping up the back of my neck. At first I thought that maybe the soap contained ammonia, but it doesn't. I'm what contains the ammonia.

    I always ride in late afternoon, early evening, and then totally pig out for dinner afterward, so I guess I'm doing what I should in terms of replenishment.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.