Amstel Gold Race

Eldrack

Jan 10, 2005
First of the Ardenne classics this sunday. Easiest of the three races so possibly the hardest to predict. I think the contenders are as follows: Cunego, Horner, Valverde, Rodriguez, S Sanchez, Gesink, Dekker, Kirchen, the Schlecks, Rebellin, Nibali plus a few others. So, out of this select group I'll go with the following (mostly because they where in form in the Basque country):

1. Cunego
2. Nibali
3. S Sanchez

Eldrack said:
First of the Ardenne classics this sunday. Easiest of the three races so possibly the hardest to predict. I think the contenders are as follows: Cunego, Horner, Valverde, Rodriguez, S Sanchez, Gesink, Dekker, Kirchen, the Schlecks, Rebellin, Nibali plus a few others. So, out of this select group I'll go with the following (mostly because they where in form in the Basque country):

1. Cunego
2. Nibali
3. S Sanchez
ddccccccccccccccccc

Eldrack said:

1. Cunego
2. Nibali
3. S Sanchez
I think you could be right and Cunego could be a repeat winner. I think Valverde might be his nearest rival, even though he has said over the winter that he wouldn't be aiming to peak for the Classics as well as the Tour.

Several riders spring to mind, in terms of an overall win at Amstel Gold.

Rebellin.
Gesink.
Cunego.
Valverde.

Rabo look particularly strong with Gesink and Flecha.

Saxo too - with the Sclhecks.

My bet is..........Ciolek (Milram).

Outside bet : Efimkin (AG2R)

I've already posted my prediction in other thread. Here I'll explain why I think Schlecks will do well in these hilly classics.
The way Frank rode races so far suggests he's preparing for Classiscs (lots of kms in small escapes). Amstel should fit best in this tactics. I don't remember I've heard he'll ride Giro; and the Tour might be too much for him in competition with Astana, so hilly Classics (and small tours - Romandie, Suisse) are his best chance (for victory). The same goes for Andy considering GTs, the difference is he's more suited for Fleche and Liege. Also, Saxo has to start putting their riders on highest podium place this season.
Amstel for Frank and other two (regarding Saxo) to be decided on the road.

Andrija said:
I've already posted my prediction in other thread. Here I'll explain why I think Schlecks will do well in these hilly classics.
The way Frank rode races so far suggests he's preparing for Classiscs (lots of kms in small escapes). Amstel should fit best in this tactics. I don't remember I've heard he'll ride Giro; and the Tour might be too much for him in competition with Astana, so hilly Classics (and small tours - Romandie, Suisse) are his best chance (for victory). The same goes for Andy considering GTs, the difference is he's more suited for Fleche and Liege. Also, Saxo has to start putting their riders on highest podium place this season.
Amstel for Frank and other two (regarding Saxo) to be decided on the road.
cccccccccccccccccc

This is a very tough race to pick, a very open race. I pick Valverde, Cunego, Kirchen in that order.

Darkhorses Gerrans, Kroon and Kolobnev. I see Haussler is named on the start list. It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Edit - Kirchen is on the startlist but isn't riding. I'll take Sanchez for 3rd!

Eurosport are covering the Amstel Gold race (free to air).

Any other channels covering the race for free?

(plenty of channels willing to charge the hard pressed cycling fan, for coverage)

Frank Shleck has crashed as is being attended too by medics. He's out of the race, lets hope he's not hurt too badly. Silence Lotto rider went down too but I don't know who that was.

Eurosport are saying that Schleck's having a neck brace fitted.

Gap is 1.20mins - Freire in the lead group.

Nice weather conditions too.

Matt lloyd is the Lotto rider down : both Schleck and Lloyd look badly injured.

Stretchers out on the road.

That crash looks very very serious : medical people are taking their time moving both riders in to the ambulance.