UK and Europe · Public discussion

Amsterdam without a bike

Started by David Martin · · Last activity · 14 posts · 388 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 October 2004
Last activity
20 October 2004
Original author
David Martin
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
388
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    I'm staying in a hotel in PC Hooftstraat which appears to be fairly central
    and would like to spend a bit of time wandering around, browsing bike shops
    (to get on topic) etc.

    ...d

  2. David Martin said:

    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    Find a good, errr, "coffee" shop?
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the [censored]'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  3. Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, State Modern Art Museum...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  4. David Martin said:


    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    I'm staying in a hotel in PC Hooftstraat which appears to be fairly central
    and would like to spend a bit of time wandering around, browsing bike shops
    (to get on topic) etc.

    Please let us know (well me anyway) how you get on.
    We (the family) are spending the three days prior to Christmas in
    Amsterdam (incl Xmas eve) before heading further east for a week. We
    hope to grab some bikes and do a reasonable amount of riding over the holiday.
    If you find any decent bike shops i can escape for an hour or so to,
    please post them here, otherwise I fear being hauled around the city's
    various clothes shops.

    John B

  5. David Martin said:

    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    You should be able to get a ride in Amsterdam. ;-)

    How about the torture museum?

    http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/71211/4/399

    They probably have some vintage Brooks saddles.

    --
    Eiron.

  6. David Martin said:

    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    I'm staying in a hotel in PC Hooftstraat which appears to be fairly central
    and would like to spend a bit of time wandering around, browsing bike shops
    (to get on topic) etc.

    Aren't they all 50lb monsters with rod brakes?

  7. David Martin said:

    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the
    end of the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper
    in the centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and
    what should I see?

    I'm staying in a hotel in PC Hooftstraat which appears to be fairly
    central and would like to spend a bit of time wandering around,
    browsing bike shops (to get on topic) etc.

    Well we've had the standard sex and drugs observations. Now how about hiring
    a bike for a couple of hours and ride around a bit.

    http://www.macbike.nl/english/index.html

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbadam/english.htm

    --

    Geoff

  8. "David Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end
    of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should
    I
    see?

    I'm staying in a hotel in PC Hooftstraat which appears to be fairly
    central
    and would like to spend a bit of time wandering around, browsing bike
    shops
    (to get on topic) etc.

    ..d


    Heineken Exhibition
    Anne Franks House
    Various Art museums

    Woody

  9. There is a bicycle rental outfit - Mac Bikes - located directly at the side of
    the Amsterdam Centraal Station. We (family of 5 plus a few extra childrens'
    friends) took a guided cycling tour of Amsterdam. Great stuff, and got us
    around to much more of Amsterdam than we could have seen in our one-day on
    foot. The guide was excellent. There is daily tour at 11am (no reservations
    required) or other tour times by reservation - you should be able to google them
    up for contact details if interested.

    You can also just rent bikes from Mac Bikes by the hour/day/week, and there is
    another outfit in town "Yellow Bikes" that does the same thing. You'll see lots
    of Mac Bikes & Yellow Bikes logos in amongst the throngs of locals on bikes.

    Rob.

    David Martin said:

    I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow with a few hours to kill at the end of
    the afternoon (plane lands at 3, meeting colleagues for supper in the
    centre). So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    I'm staying in a hotel in PC Hooftstraat which appears to be fairly central
    and would like to spend a bit of time wandering around, browsing bike shops
    (to get on topic) etc.

    ..d

  10. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, State Modern Art Museum...

    And these are all within easy walking distance of the PC Hooft straat.
    The tunnel under the Rijksmuseum is currently the subject of arguments
    because it used to be one of the main cycling routes and recent
    reconfigurations have changed that.

    If you're not in museum mood go to the Albert Cuyp market, which is fairly
    nearby as well.

    Roos

  11. David Martin said:

    So, on the spur of the moment, where should I go and what should I
    see?

    Diamond factory, Rieke museum ( but ignore the " night watch"😉 chill in a
    "brown cafe"

  12. Woody said:

    Anne Franks House

    =2+ hrs queing

  13. Roos Eisma said:
    Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, State Modern Art Museum...

    And these are all within easy walking distance of the PC Hooft straat.
    The tunnel under the Rijksmuseum is currently the subject of arguments
    because it used to be one of the main cycling routes and recent
    reconfigurations have changed that.

    If you're not in museum mood go to the Albert Cuyp market, which is fairly
    nearby as well.

    Or even go to Waterlooplein (?spelling) market and buy a load of
    nurse-locks. Flog 'em to urc folk on your return. This market has a
    fair amount of bike stuff.

  14. robert.clark said:

    There is a bicycle rental outfit - Mac Bikes - located directly at the side of
    the Amsterdam Centraal Station.

    Spend an hour marvelling at the size of the bike park (multistory of
    course) outside Centraal Station.

    Tim

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.