General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ann: Hill proximity information

Started by Jim Willsher · · Last activity · 14 posts · 429 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 June 2005
Last activity
28 June 2005
Original author
Jim Willsher
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
429
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All,

    Just a quick announcment, if anyone is interested. I have recently
    updated my website, and it now includes a facility to print "Hill
    Proximity Information" for any hill.

    For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    with a degree of certainty.

    The sheet can be printed from the website, or you can generate a PDF.

    Visit the page here:

    http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Hills/Hill_Proximity.php

    or to just get Munros:
    http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Hills/Munros/Munro_Proximity.php

    or Corbetts:
    http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Hills/Corbetts/Corbett_Proximity.php

    etc etc.

    Comments/feedback welcome. Hope it's useful to somebody!

    Jim


  2. Quoted message said:

    For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    with a degree of certainty.

    Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    the waypoints loaded for that area.

  3. email hidden said:


    Quoted message said:

    For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    with a degree of certainty.

    Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    the waypoints loaded for that area.


    Absolutely. But this is good for standing at the top and saying
    "What's that hill" - you just look down the list (if you've sorted it
    by bearing) and it's easy.

    Jim

  4. On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    |
    | > For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    | > distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    | > on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    | > with a degree of certainty.
    | >
    |
    | Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    | nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    | the waypoints loaded for that area.

    My OS Explorer Map and ordinary compass do that without having to think
    about entering waypoints.

    My next GPS will *have* to the ability to easily enter 10 figure OS
    National Grid waypoints on when the top of a hill, because I always end up
    doing a different route than I planned. I rarely have more then the
    vaguest plan which is subject to change on a whim. Interesting places,
    and/or the weather, good or bad, etc. always divert my from any planned
    route.

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> http://www.webshots.com
    Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
    Screensaver. also 200,000 amateur pics. Four new pics each day.

  5. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:31:21 +0100, Jim Willsher <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]"
    | <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |
    | >
    | >> For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    | >> distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    | >> on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    | >> with a degree of certainty.
    | >>
    | >
    | >Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    | >nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    | >the waypoints loaded for that area.
    | Absolutely. But this is good for standing at the top and saying
    | "What's that hill" - you just look down the list (if you've sorted it
    | by bearing) and it's easy.

    If you *expected* to be on *that* hill.

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> http://www.webshots.com
    Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
    Screensaver. also 200,000 amateur pics. Four new pics each day.

  6. Dave Fawthrop said:

    On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    |
    | > For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    | > distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    | > on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    | > with a degree of certainty.
    | >
    |
    | Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    | nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    | the waypoints loaded for that area.

    My OS Explorer Map and ordinary compass do that without having to think
    about entering waypoints.

    My next GPS will *have* to the ability to easily enter 10 figure OS
    National Grid waypoints on when the top of a hill, because I always end up
    doing a different route than I planned. I rarely have more then the
    vaguest plan which is subject to change on a whim. Interesting places,
    and/or the weather, good or bad, etc. always divert my from any planned
    route.

    So...don't use it then!

    Personally I find it very useful, as I can locate any visible hill
    very quickly, even those which are off the edge of the current map
    sheet. Given that visibility is often in excess of the 40-odd KM you
    get on a standard Landranger, I'm not about to start carrying a
    shelfload of OS maps just to be able to work out what a hill on the
    horizon might be.

    Jim

  7. "Dave Fawthrop" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    My next GPS will *have* to the ability to easily enter 10 figure OS
    National Grid waypoints on when the top of a hill, because I always end
    up
    doing a different route than I planned. I rarely have more then the
    vaguest plan which is subject to change on a whim. Interesting places,
    and/or the weather, good or bad, etc. always divert my from any planned
    route.

    I've used a geko 101 whilst munro bagging for 18mths, 89 munros. Winter and
    summer.

    I walk route then if it's cloudy/poor visibilty I take a bearing and fire
    in a feature or waypoint.
    The GPS is just a 'backup'. I can't put routes in it and don't do it anyway.

    I have only needed it for 'real' whilst in a 10ft visibilty blizzard twice.

    Oreintating the map at the summit using a compass/features should give
    you a good idea where 'that' summit is.

    Nick

    PS Still waiting for the Mio168 to drop below 200pounds then I'll get that
    with
    my Fugawi on it.

  8. Jim Willsher said:
    Dave Fawthrop said:

    On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    |
    | > For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    | > distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    | > on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    | > with a degree of certainty.
    | >
    |
    | Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    | nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    | the waypoints loaded for that area.

    My OS Explorer Map and ordinary compass do that without having to think
    about entering waypoints.

    My next GPS will *have* to the ability to easily enter 10 figure OS
    National Grid waypoints on when the top of a hill, because I always end up
    doing a different route than I planned. I rarely have more then the
    vaguest plan which is subject to change on a whim. Interesting places,
    and/or the weather, good or bad, etc. always divert my from any planned
    route.

    So...don't use it then!

    Personally I find it very useful, as I can locate any visible hill
    very quickly, even those which are off the edge of the current map
    sheet. Given that visibility is often in excess of the 40-odd KM you
    get on a standard Landranger, I'm not about to start carrying a
    shelfload of OS maps just to be able to work out what a hill on the
    horizon might be.

    It sounds good to me, too, although I couldn't get it to work

    "Query Failed : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
    manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the
    right syntax to use near 'ASC' at line 1"

    Hill Meallan nan Uan within 5km (and all the others I tried,
    Using Firefox on Winedose. Same with Internet Exploder, though.

    Trev

  9. "Jim Willsher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    Just a quick announcment, if anyone is interested. I have recently
    updated my website, and it now includes a facility to print "Hill
    Proximity Information" for any hill.

    For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    with a degree of certainty.

    Very good, nice neat little tool, I would prefer the table sorted by the
    bearing!

    I built something very similar to this a couple of years back,
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/distcalc.htm I primarily
    developed it for myself to help identify hills on panoramas and photographs.

    I then linked the table directly to the panorama. Take a look at the
    foollwoing example
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/pans/carnacoireboidheach.htm
    (650K) (and It only works in IE) Click on part of the image and a table
    giving all possible hills in that direction is shown. Quite accurate
    although the panorama stitching software corrupts the image and can give
    inaccuracies up to 1.5°

    The image was taken on Sunday from the top of Carn a Coirre Boidheach (just
    west of Lochnagar)

  10. Stuart said:

    I then linked the table directly to the panorama. Take a look at the
    foollwoing example
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/pans/carnacoireboidheach.htm
    (650K) (and It only works in IE)

    Not so - works nicely on Linux / Firefox 1.0.4 for me.

    --
    pjk

  11. "Paul J. Keenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Stuart said:

    I then linked the table directly to the panorama. Take a look at the
    foollwoing example


    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/pans/carnacoireboidheach.htm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (650K) (and It only works in IE)

    Not so - works nicely on Linux / Firefox 1.0.4 for me.

    --

    So it does, I must of made it "getElementById" Mozilla stuff compatable at
    some point! quite easy really, just takes twice as long as you have to write
    the bulk of your code again in another language, and then debug the lot!
    ...... the joys of client side scripting!

    It definately won't work in netscape 4 or earlier...... caus i didn't write
    the code for that nasty little browser!

  12. On 28 Jun 2005 17:34:59 GMT, Nobody Here <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jim Willsher said:
    Dave Fawthrop said:

    On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    |
    | > For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    | > distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    | > on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    | > with a degree of certainty.
    | >
    |
    | Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    | nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    | the waypoints loaded for that area.

    My OS Explorer Map and ordinary compass do that without having to think
    about entering waypoints.

    My next GPS will *have* to the ability to easily enter 10 figure OS
    National Grid waypoints on when the top of a hill, because I always end up
    doing a different route than I planned. I rarely have more then the
    vaguest plan which is subject to change on a whim. Interesting places,
    and/or the weather, good or bad, etc. always divert my from any planned
    route.

    So...don't use it then!

    Personally I find it very useful, as I can locate any visible hill
    very quickly, even those which are off the edge of the current map
    sheet. Given that visibility is often in excess of the 40-odd KM you
    get on a standard Landranger, I'm not about to start carrying a
    shelfload of OS maps just to be able to work out what a hill on the
    horizon might be.

    It sounds good to me, too, although I couldn't get it to work

    "Query Failed : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
    manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the
    right syntax to use near 'ASC' at line 1"

    Hill Meallan nan Uan within 5km (and all the others I tried,
    Using Firefox on Winedose. Same with Internet Exploder, though.

    Trev

    Yes, apologies for that. How embarassing. I was tweaking some other
    parts of the site, like Google Maps, and messed this up. It's sorted
    now....

    Jim

  13. Stuart said:


    "Jim Willsher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    Just a quick announcment, if anyone is interested. I have recently
    updated my website, and it now includes a facility to print "Hill
    Proximity Information" for any hill.

    For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    with a degree of certainty.

    Very good, nice neat little tool, I would prefer the table sorted by the
    bearing!

    I built something very similar to this a couple of years back,
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/distcalc.htm I primarily
    developed it for myself to help identify hills on panoramas and photographs.

    I then linked the table directly to the panorama. Take a look at the
    foollwoing example
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/pans/carnacoireboidheach.htm
    (650K) (and It only works in IE) Click on part of the image and a table
    giving all possible hills in that direction is shown. Quite accurate
    although the panorama stitching software corrupts the image and can give
    inaccuracies up to 1.5°

    The image was taken on Sunday from the top of Carn a Coirre Boidheach (just
    west of Lochnagar)

    Just click a column heading the change (or reverse) the sort. The PDF
    is generated which whichever sort/criteria you currently have.

    Jim

  14. Jim Willsher said:

    On 28 Jun 2005 17:34:59 GMT, Nobody Here <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jim Willsher said:

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:47:01 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >|
    >| > For any given hill you will get a sheet giving you the bearings and
    >| > distances to other hills. Ideal for printing out and taking with you
    >| > on your walks, so you can look at your sheet and identify the hills
    >| > with a degree of certainty.
    >| >
    >|
    >| Not being funny BUT my GPS already does that when I'm there (select
    >| nearest waypoints) ! That's on the assumption that you've already got
    >| the waypoints loaded for that area.
    >
    >My OS Explorer Map and ordinary compass do that without having to think
    >about entering waypoints.
    >
    >My next GPS will *have* to the ability to easily enter 10 figure OS
    >National Grid waypoints on when the top of a hill, because I always end up
    >doing a different route than I planned. I rarely have more then the
    >vaguest plan which is subject to change on a whim. Interesting places,
    >and/or the weather, good or bad, etc. always divert my from any planned
    >route.

    So...don't use it then!

    Personally I find it very useful, as I can locate any visible hill
    very quickly, even those which are off the edge of the current map
    sheet. Given that visibility is often in excess of the 40-odd KM you
    get on a standard Landranger, I'm not about to start carrying a
    shelfload of OS maps just to be able to work out what a hill on the
    horizon might be.

    It sounds good to me, too, although I couldn't get it to work

    "Query Failed : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
    manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the
    right syntax to use near 'ASC' at line 1"

    Hill Meallan nan Uan within 5km (and all the others I tried,
    Using Firefox on Winedose. Same with Internet Exploder, though.

    Yes, apologies for that. How embarassing. I was tweaking some other
    parts of the site, like Google Maps, and messed this up. It's sorted
    now....

    Yes, works now, and I like it. Nw do it for the Yorkshire Dales, and
    I'll actually use it :-) I'm not sure that the naysayers actually
    understood either what it does or the point.

    --
    Nobby

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.