General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Anniversary dinner

Started by carla · · Last activity · 44 posts · 822 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 September 2004
Last activity
13 September 2004
Original author
carla
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
822
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. If you remember that you had pizza, in February no less, I would say
    that you haven't come to terms with this WOE, and a normal relationship
    with food. You'll get there in time. :-)

    --
    Cheri

    Cubit wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    As I recall, I did have some pizza, back in February. I learned from


    my

    Quoted message said:

    mistake.

  2. It sounds to me like you're well on your way to long lasting success. I
    wish you the best in your weight loss journey. :-)

    --
    Cheri

    carla wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    As a person who has been a no-holds-barred,


    if-it-tastes-good-keep-eating-it

    Quoted message said:

    face-stuffer her entire life, I consider this a massive success.


    Moderation

    Quoted message said:

    in all things is my long term goal.

    --
    carla
    http://geekofalltrades.typepad.com/geek

  3. It's terrible to think that you've been this stupid you're whole life.
    Especially at your age.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Cheri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In your case, the food obviously keeps you full of [censored]. Sit down and
    take a hard one, you'll feel better. :-)

    --
    Cheri

    JC Der Koenig wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    It's only food that made you fat, and it's only food that keeps you


    that

    Quoted message said:

    way.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. --


    MFW

    Quoted message said:


  4. Cubit said:

    There have been many posts about eating excessive carbs, where the poster
    seems to be bragging about the carby thing they are going to eat. It
    usually comes with a collection of rationalizations about why the carbs
    are
    ok on this occasion. Often the occasion is in some way "special."

    To really succeed at this LC thing, we need to adjust to the LC
    way-of-life.
    At the time of my comment, I was really thinking about the effect these
    posts have on others, but as a mechanism of self delusion, they might be
    unwise for the posters as well.

    I did not mean to suggest that you should not share about your approach
    to
    managing low carb. Maybe, instead of pointing out the adverse effect
    your
    falling off the wagon (jumping) might have on others, I should have
    simply
    chastized you for it. Hmmm. I don't like a punative approach. Indeed,
    with that in mind, I should have pointed out how wonderful your health
    and
    appearance will be if you can stick to things.

    I recently attended a birthday gathering where only two of us ate
    nothing,
    while the group, about 30, had full carb ice cream and cake. Everybody
    seemed to accept this. I was surprised. I thought I would catch some
    flack
    for not eating it. Apparently, here in the Silicon Valley, low carb is
    respected, even by those who do not participate. January's surge in the
    press may have had an impression.

    Low Carb fails, when dieters return to eating the carbs. Viewing carby
    meals as special treats is setting the stage for future failure. We
    should,
    like Iggy, actively search for the path to lifelong success.

    I don't believe that low carb is going to fail if you have special
    dinners. I think the opposite happens -- if you restrict yourself too
    much, then you fail. I will continue to have treats for special
    occasions.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  5. "carla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    As a person who has been a no-holds-barred,


    if-it-tastes-good-keep-eating-it

    Quoted message said:

    face-stuffer her entire life, I consider this a massive success.


    Moderation

    Quoted message said:

    in all things is my long term goal.

    --
    carla

    As a person who also was in this club, I would agree! It sounds like you
    had a wonderful meal! It also sounds like that your tastes have changed, I
    mean you mentioned the one appetizer being "too sweet". I know I have found
    myself eating something and noting it to be "too sweet". Those words coming
    out of my mouth? Whoda thunk?

    --
    Lisa
    208/179.5/145-150
    Low-carb since June 2004

  6. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (The Queen of Cans and Jars)

    Quoted message said:
    Cubit said:

    Maybe, instead of pointing out the adverse effect your falling off the
    wagon (jumping) might have on others, I should have simply chastized you
    for it.

    or you could just take your sanctimonious [censored] and shove it.

    Indeed. You want to be a friggin' humorless robot, Cubit, that's your
    business. The rest of us live real lives, with conflicts and decisions and
    compromises. One special dinner out does not constitute "falling off the
    wagon." I thought Carla's plan made a lot of sense under the circumstances.
    It wasn't like she had packed up and moved into the Afghan restaurant so she
    could eat their bread and rice all day.

    There's such a thing as perspective.

    Daria
    166/under 145/under 145
    sugar-free since 2/1/04
    low-carb since 2/17/04

  7. :
    : I don't believe that low carb is going to fail if you have special
    : dinners. I think the opposite happens -- if you restrict yourself
    too
    : much, then you fail. I will continue to have treats for special
    : occasions.
    :
    : --
    : Bob in CT

    i ABSOLUTELY agree with this bob.
    learning what triggers excessive eating, and learning another
    approach to food (food is fuel) is what ASD-LC is about for me!

  8. Ya done good, Carla. As they say, there's nothing like a reformed ( fill in
    your choice--drunk, smoker, overeater). Some people are as excessive in
    their approach to dieting as they were to their overeating. The key to
    success is finding a plan that works for you, something that is comfortable,
    that you are not always wishing you could evade. Sharing your approach
    gives others ideas that may be useful in finding a comfortable WOE for them.

    Sometimes these "cheats" or wanderings are really far less harmful than we
    might think, anyway. We don't go out for dinner often but when we do our
    favorite is Thai food. I no longer do the Pad Thai which I used to love but
    do indulge in the coconut ice cream for dessert as it is one of my favorite
    things. On first blush one thinks SUGAR, aaargh!!! But a whole cup of real
    ice cream has only about 35 grams of carb and I suspect that the coconut ice
    cream has less as it is made with coconut milk rather than cow's milk and
    the serving is generally less than a cup. So, it's far different from
    eating a pile of rice under your entree. Earlier in the year we went to a
    Japanese restaurant where I had the Bento, a little bit of several things.
    It had some tempura, steak teriyaki, some fresh fruits, I ate it all but no
    rice. When I got home I did a little research and estimated that the whole
    indulgence was about 36 carbs, certainly not a disaster.

    In news:[email hidden],
    carla <[email hidden]> stated
    | Double follow-up here, because I'd like to add one more comment.
    | Unlike many folks around here who prepare most of their meals at
    | home, I eat out very frequently, and know how to make good choices
    | that are consistent with my eating plan. I eat lunch every day and
    | frequently dinner at my office cafeteria and avoid all manner of
    | temptation there. I eat dinner at restaurants - frequently excellent
    | restaurants, but also ordinary ones like Pizzeria Uno - once or twice
    | a week. I know how to order the grilled steak or chicken with a side
    | of vegetables. I don't eat the bread just because it is in front of
    | me. And I don't go off plan just because there is an opportunity to
    | do so.
    |
    | This evening was my anniversary, and my husband and I went to the same
    | wonderful restaurant where we have celebrated every anniversary since
    | our first. This was not merely someone's birthday party, or
    | someone's barbeque, or some generic excuse to misbehave, and my
    | posting about it here was not some kind of rationalization. This was
    | a very special and rare occasion - I likely won't have another like
    | it for many months - and I planned for it, altered the way I ate
    | during the day in anticipation of it, and approached it with a plan
    | of attack that led me to have a much better and closer to healthy
    | meal (and day as a whole) than I would have had if I'd been on no
    | plan at all or if I'd approached this as a caution-to-the-winds cheat
    | day.
    |
    | As a person who has been a no-holds-barred,
    | if-it-tastes-good-keep-eating-it face-stuffer her entire life, I
    | consider this a massive success. Moderation in all things is my long
    | term goal.
    |
    | --
    | carla
    | http://geekofalltrades.typepad.com/geek

  9. Ya done good, Carla. As they say, there's nothing like a reformed ( fill in
    your choice--drunk, smoker, overeater). Some people are as excessive in
    their approach to dieting as they were to their overeating. The key to
    success is finding a plan that works for you, something that is comfortable,
    that you are not always wishing you could evade. Sharing your approach
    gives others ideas that may be useful in finding a comfortable WOE for them.

    Sometimes these "cheats" or wanderings are really far less harmful than we
    might think, anyway. We don't go out for dinner often but when we do our
    favorite is Thai food. I no longer do the Pad Thai which I used to love but
    do indulge in the coconut ice cream for dessert as it is one of my favorite
    things. On first blush one thinks SUGAR, aaargh!!! But a whole cup of real
    ice cream has only about 35 grams of carb and I suspect that the coconut ice
    cream has less as it is made with coconut milk rather than cow's milk and
    the serving is generally less than a cup. So, it's far different from
    eating a pile of rice under your entree. Earlier in the year we went to a
    Japanese restaurant where I had the Bento, a little bit of several things.
    It had some tempura, steak teriyaki, some fresh fruits, I ate it all but no
    rice. When I got home I did a little research and estimated that the whole
    indulgence was about 36 carbs, certainly not a disaster.

    In news:[email hidden],
    carla <[email hidden]> stated
    | Double follow-up here, because I'd like to add one more comment.
    | Unlike many folks around here who prepare most of their meals at
    | home, I eat out very frequently, and know how to make good choices
    | that are consistent with my eating plan. I eat lunch every day and
    | frequently dinner at my office cafeteria and avoid all manner of
    | temptation there. I eat dinner at restaurants - frequently excellent
    | restaurants, but also ordinary ones like Pizzeria Uno - once or twice
    | a week. I know how to order the grilled steak or chicken with a side
    | of vegetables. I don't eat the bread just because it is in front of
    | me. And I don't go off plan just because there is an opportunity to
    | do so.
    |
    | This evening was my anniversary, and my husband and I went to the same
    | wonderful restaurant where we have celebrated every anniversary since
    | our first. This was not merely someone's birthday party, or
    | someone's barbeque, or some generic excuse to misbehave, and my
    | posting about it here was not some kind of rationalization. This was
    | a very special and rare occasion - I likely won't have another like
    | it for many months - and I planned for it, altered the way I ate
    | during the day in anticipation of it, and approached it with a plan
    | of attack that led me to have a much better and closer to healthy
    | meal (and day as a whole) than I would have had if I'd been on no
    | plan at all or if I'd approached this as a caution-to-the-winds cheat
    | day.
    |
    | As a person who has been a no-holds-barred,
    | if-it-tastes-good-keep-eating-it face-stuffer her entire life, I
    | consider this a massive success. Moderation in all things is my long
    | term goal.
    |
    | --
    | carla
    | http://geekofalltrades.typepad.com/geek

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Yup. Food made me fat, so I'm going to start eating something else
    instead. Not sure what yet. Maybe compact discs, or blankets.

    Good choice -- according to the forensics shows I watch on TV, blankets have LOTS
    of fibers :-)

    --
    Saffire
    205/149/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  11. Bob in CT wrote:
    ||
    || I don't believe that low carb is going to fail if you have special
    || dinners. I think the opposite happens -- if you restrict yourself
    || too much, then you fail. I will continue to have treats for special
    || occasions.
    ||

    Having some extra carby things every now and again is no bad thing.
    Excessive consumption is where/when the problems start.

  12. You're calling me stupid, and you're using YOU'RE incorrectly in YOUR
    post. Don't you know that always happens? Next you'll be using "loose"
    when telling people they need to lose weight. Have a great day JC. LOL

    --
    Cheri

    JC Der Koenig wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    It's terrible to think that you've been this stupid you're whole life.
    Especially at your age.

    --

  13. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:08:37 -0400, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Bob in CT wrote:
    ||
    || I don't believe that low carb is going to fail if you have special
    || dinners. I think the opposite happens -- if you restrict yourself
    || too much, then you fail. I will continue to have treats for special
    || occasions.
    ||

    Having some extra carby things every now and again is no bad thing.
    Excessive consumption is where/when the problems start.

    Definitely true. Of course, I no longer get "set off" by most carby
    things (and I avoid those that do cause me to crave stuff).

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  14. That's what I was trying to say. I can have something occasionally
    without bingeing, but I couldn't always do that. It feels good to have
    decent control of my eating.

    --
    Cheri

    Bob in CT wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Definitely true. Of course, I no longer get "set off" by most carby
    things (and I avoid those that do cause me to crave stuff).

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  15. 🙂

    boy, i'd never attempt to criticize someone's pecking on usenet... I make so
    many typos and screwups that it ain't funny....or maybe it is...

    Cheri wrote:
    || You're calling me stupid, and you're using YOU'RE incorrectly in YOUR
    || post. Don't you know that always happens? Next you'll be using
    || "loose" when telling people they need to lose weight. Have a great
    || day JC. LOL
    ||
    || --
    || Cheri
    ||
    || JC Der Koenig wrote in message ...
    ||| It's terrible to think that you've been this stupid you're whole
    ||| life. Especially at your age.
    |||
    ||| --

  16. Only because Mr. JC Hot Shot called me stupid. Using you're in place of
    your AIN'T no typo. LOL

    --
    Cheri

    Roger Zoul wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    🙂

    boy, i'd never attempt to criticize someone's pecking on usenet... I


    make so

    Quoted message said:

    many typos and screwups that it ain't funny....or maybe it is...

  17. Quoted message said:

    You're calling me stupid, and you're using YOU'RE incorrectly in YOUR
    post. Don't you know that always happens? Next you'll be using "loose"
    when telling people they need to lose weight. Have a great day JC. LOL

    --
    Cheri

    JC Der Koenig wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    It's terrible to think that you've been this stupid you're whole life.
    Especially at your age.

    'You are' age? 'Your' looks correct to me.
    LCing since 12/01/03-
    Me- 5'7" 265/169/140
    & hubby- 6' 310/190/180
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (LCer09) said:
    Quoted message said:

    You're calling me stupid, and you're using YOU'RE incorrectly in YOUR
    post. Don't you know that always happens? Next you'll be using "loose"
    when telling people they need to lose weight. Have a great day JC. LOL

    --
    Cheri

    JC Der Koenig wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    It's terrible to think that you've been this stupid you're whole life.
    Especially at your age.

    'You are' age? 'Your' looks correct to me.
    LCing since 12/01/03-
    Me- 5'7" 265/169/140
    & hubby- 6' 310/190/180
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos

    It's correct there, but not in "you're whole life."

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  19. DG511 said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (The Queen of Cans and Jars)

    Quoted message said:
    Cubit said:

    Maybe, instead of pointing out the adverse effect your falling off the
    wagon (jumping) might have on others, I should have simply chastized you
    for it.

    or you could just take your sanctimonious [censored] and shove it.

    Indeed. You want to be a friggin' humorless robot, Cubit, that's your
    business. The rest of us live real lives, with conflicts and decisions and
    compromises. One special dinner out does not constitute "falling off the
    wagon." I thought Carla's plan made a lot of sense under the circumstances.
    It wasn't like she had packed up and moved into the Afghan restaurant so she
    could eat their bread and rice all day.

    There's such a thing as perspective.

    word.

  20. DG511 said:


    I thought Carla's plan made a
    lot of sense under the circumstances. It wasn't like she had packed
    up and moved into the Afghan restaurant so she could eat their bread
    and rice all day.


    That sounds fun, though. ;-)

    --
    carla
    http://geekofalltrades.typepad.com/geek

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.