Road Cycling · Public discussion

Another Book Becomes a Collector's Item?

Started by Richard Adams · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,023 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 April 2004
Last activity
27 April 2004
Original author
Richard Adams
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,023
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Someone posted an email to VN.com and it appeared in today's
    mailbag, in reference to "The Season Starts When?" According
    to the ed's feedback the book is now out of print, but can
    be had for an outrageous sum on Amazon. Indeed, already in
    the $25 arena.

    I was lucky enough to score a copy of Bob Roll's first
    book. Bobke: A Ride on the Wild Side (a dusty but otherwise
    fine copy) from an LBS. Nuts on ebay have shelled as much
    as $100 a copy.

    Roll came out with Bobke II last year, for those who were
    missing out and didn't have the bottomless wallets. Any idea
    if there's another collection of O'Grady 'toons in the
    works, or has the OGWGFIW fallen out of favor? I noticed,
    right after getting the full complement of pint glasses that
    they're less conspicuous in the VN online store.

    At least I'm not getting skinned picking up an old copy of
    Davis Phinney's book.

  2. But you have to admit that not only the writing but the
    format of the first book is really good. I wouldn't part
    with my copy for $100 but for $500.......perhaps.

    "Richard Adams" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone posted an email to VN.com and it appeared in
    today's mailbag, in reference to "The Season Starts When?"
    According to the ed's feedback the book is now out of
    print, but can be had for an outrageous sum on Amazon.
    Indeed, already in the $25 arena.

    I was lucky enough to score a copy of Bob Roll's first
    book. Bobke: A Ride on the Wild Side (a dusty but
    otherwise fine copy) from an LBS. Nuts on ebay have
    shelled as much as $100 a copy.

    Roll came out with Bobke II last year, for those who
    were missing out and didn't have the bottomless
    wallets. Any idea if there's another collection of
    O'Grady 'toons in the works, or has the OGWGFIW fallen
    out of favor? I noticed, right after getting the full
    complement of pint glasses that they're less
    conspicuous in the VN online store.

    At least I'm not getting skinned picking up an old copy of
    Davis Phinney's book.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Richard Adams) said:

    Someone posted an email to VN.com and it appeared in
    today's mailbag, in reference to "The Season Starts When?"
    According to the ed's feedback the book is now out of
    print, but can be had for an outrageous sum on Amazon.
    Indeed, already in the $25 arena.

    I was lucky enough to score a copy of Bob Roll's first
    book. Bobke: A Ride on the Wild Side (a dusty but
    otherwise fine copy) from an LBS. Nuts on ebay have
    shelled as much as $100 a copy.

    Roll came out with Bobke II last year, for those who
    were missing out and didn't have the bottomless
    wallets. Any idea if there's another collection of
    O'Grady 'toons in the works, or has the OGWGFIW fallen
    out of favor? I noticed, right after getting the full
    complement of pint glasses that they're less
    conspicuous in the VN online store.

    At least I'm not getting skinned picking up an old copy of
    Davis Phinney's book.

    Hey, Richard,

    I doubt VeloPress will be interested in doing another
    collection of VN 'toons anytime soon. With only 18-20
    magazine issues a year in the early days, it took a full 10
    years -- 1989-99 -- to come up with enough stuff to fill the
    first one. We're doing a third OGWGFIW jersey for Christmas
    2004, though, and John Kelly at Exerstuff wants some new pint-
    glass designs, so the online store should flesh out a tad in
    time for the holiday shoplifting season.

    I've thought about doing a collection of my "Shop Talk"
    strips from Bicycle Retailer & Industry News. That got
    started in 1992, so there's enough material, especially
    since I do a couple or three "Show Talk" strips every year
    for "The Show Daily" at Interbike. Whether it's actually
    funny is anybody's guess, though. I like the Mud Stud
    character I use in that strip, but few people have actually
    seen the damn' thing, since BRAIN's audience is mostly
    confined to industry types on the john who are looking for a
    distraction but have already read that day's newspaper.

    In any case, thanks for asking -- and for being interested
    enough to buy stuff, too. I've been at this for 15 years,
    and I still can't believe that people will pay me for having
    fun. Sure beats writing headlines on the obits at The Pueblo
    Chieftain.

    Cheers,

    Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media maddogmedia.commaddogmedia.com

  4. I'll bet the obit headlines were interesting though, coming
    from Saint Patrick.

    "Patrick O'Grady" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    (Richard Adams) said:

    Someone posted an email to VN.com and it appeared in
    today's mailbag, in reference to "The Season Starts
    When?" According to the ed's feedback the book is now
    out of print, but can be had for an outrageous sum on
    Amazon. Indeed, already in the $25 arena.

    I was lucky enough to score a copy of Bob Roll's first
    book. Bobke: A Ride on the Wild Side (a dusty but
    otherwise fine copy) from an LBS. Nuts on ebay have
    shelled as much as $100 a copy.

    Roll came out with Bobke II last year, for those who
    were missing out and didn't have the bottomless wallets.
    Any idea if there's another collection of O'Grady 'toons
    in the works, or has the OGWGFIW fallen out of favor? I
    noticed, right after getting the full complement of pint
    glasses that they're less conspicuous in the VN online
    store.

    At least I'm not getting skinned picking up an old copy
    of Davis Phinney's book.

    Hey, Richard,

    I doubt VeloPress will be interested in doing another
    collection of VN 'toons anytime soon. With only 18-20
    magazine issues a year in the early days, it took a full
    10 years -- 1989-99 -- to come up with enough stuff to
    fill the first one. We're doing a third OGWGFIW jersey
    for Christmas 2004, though, and John Kelly at Exerstuff
    wants some new pint-glass designs, so the online store
    should flesh out a tad in time for the holiday
    shoplifting season.

    I've thought about doing a collection of my "Shop Talk"
    strips from Bicycle Retailer & Industry News. That got
    started in 1992, so there's enough material, especially
    since I do a couple or three "Show Talk" strips every year
    for "The Show Daily" at Interbike. Whether it's actually
    funny is anybody's guess, though. I like the Mud Stud
    character I use in that strip, but few people have
    actually seen the damn' thing, since BRAIN's audience is
    mostly confined to industry types on the john who are
    looking for a distraction but have already read that day's
    newspaper.

    In any case, thanks for asking -- and for being interested
    enough to buy stuff, too. I've been at this for 15 years,
    and I still can't believe that people will pay me for
    having fun. Sure beats writing headlines on the obits at
    The Pueblo Chieftain.

    Cheers,

    Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media maddogmedia.commaddogmedia.com

  5. "B. Lafferty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'll bet the obit headlines were interesting though,
    coming from Saint Patrick.

    Something like?

    Robert Atkins, Doctor and Author, "Was fed up with animals."

    Karl C. Jones, Retired AT&SF Engineer, "Gone around the bend
    for the last time."

    Skip Stone, Former NMSU Geologist, "Surrounded by his
    life's work."

    L. D. MacDonald, Farmer, "Once a man outstanding in
    his field."

    M. O. Klippe, Cyclist, "Now spinning in his grave."

    Baron von Frankenstein, aristrocrat, "Left a large
    body of work."

    Ray Darr, Maj. USAF Ret., "Secret Burial at Groom Lake
    planne+++ath0

    [NO CARRIER]

  6. "Richard Adams" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "B. Lafferty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>-
    ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll bet the obit headlines were interesting though,
    coming from Saint Patrick.

    Something like?

    Robert Atkins, Doctor and Author, "Was fed up with
    animals."

    Karl C. Jones, Retired AT&SF Engineer, "Gone around the
    bend for the last


    time."

    Quoted message said:


    Skip Stone, Former NMSU Geologist, "Surrounded by his
    life's work."

    L. D. MacDonald, Farmer, "Once a man outstanding in his
    field."

    T. O. Klippe, Cyclist, "Now spinning in his grave."

    Baron von Frankenstein, aristrocrat, "Left a large body
    of work."

    Ray Darr, Maj. USAF Ret., "Secret Burial at Groom Lake
    planne+++ath0

    [NO CARRIER]

    Time on your hands, eh?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.