Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Another Campagnolo BB bites the dust

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 45 posts · 916 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 May 2006
Last activity
7 June 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
45
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
916
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 45
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

    Phil Wood makes bb's in any size/taper. For a permanent (but pricey)
    solution, check them out.

    D'ohBoy

  3. "D'ohBoy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

    Phil Wood makes bb's in any size/taper. For a permanent (but pricey)
    solution, check them out.

    D'ohBoy

    Phil is good but permanent? Any bearings will wear with time, the Phil ones
    have a good reputation, do hold up well and even they will need to be
    replaced someday. Phill used to be pretty good about fixing worn out
    bearings under warrenty or for a resonable fee but their repair prices have
    driven me to other options lately.

    Dave

  4. Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

    The new Centaur bottom bracket will work. The one that uses the bottom
    bracket lockring tool to install the cups. Instead of that awful
    rounded tooth ring. 111mm or 115 mm, whichever you need. Veloce,
    Mirage, AC-H, SC-S, AC-S, Centaur are all the same shape, symmetric or
    asymmetric. Chorus and Record triple, 111mm, bottom brackets are not
    the same as the lower groups.

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    The new Centaur bottom bracket will work. The one that uses the bottom
    bracket lockring tool to install the cups.

    Did you mean *cassette* lockring tool?

    Mark

  6. Mark Janeba said:

    Did you mean *cassette* lockring tool?

    In older Campy groups the cassette lockring for Record and Chorus was
    also the BB retainer cup tool. Centaur use to have their own BB
    specific tool. Now I hear that Centaur, Record and Chorus all share the
    same cassette / BB tool.

    Kenny

  7. Mark said:

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    How does the BB keep failing? After how long? Is the warrantee covering
    them?
    I'm somewhat surprised to hear this. I've rarely heard of any Campy
    stuff having early failures . If we had an idea of how or why it's
    failing, we might be better able to make a recommendation. Peter will
    certainly have the answer.

    Regards. John

  8. Mark Janeba said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    The new Centaur bottom bracket will work. The one that uses the bottom
    bracket lockring tool to install the cups.

    Did you mean *cassette* lockring tool?

    Yes. Cassette lockring and bottom bracket cups for Record and Chorus
    and the new Centaur all use the same tool. Park BBT5.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=1198&sku=2643&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Quoted message said:


    Mark

  9. Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

    I'd recommend you try to work out why they are failing before you spend
    more money on another BB. Maybe the BB threads in your frame need to be
    retapped. I have a AC-H BB that is nearly 4 years old and has done
    probably more than 30000km and is still spinning very smoothly.

    Bruce.

  10. Bruce Dickson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

    I'd recommend you try to work out why they are failing before you spend
    more money on another BB. Maybe the BB threads in your frame need to be
    retapped. I have a AC-H BB that is nearly 4 years old and has done
    probably more than 30000km and is still spinning very smoothly.

    Bruce.

    The bb needs to be faced.

    Robin Hubert

  11. Dave Reckoning said:

    replaced someday. Phill used to be pretty good about fixing worn out
    bearings under warrenty or for a resonable fee but their repair prices have
    driven me to other options lately.

    Other options, such as?

    jbr

  12. Quoted message said:

    Hi

    I have the Veloce groupset on my tourer, and am very happy with it...
    except for the BB, which keeps failing on me!

    So, this time I'm thinking of getting a better one.

    Does anyone know whether the standard Veloce triple bb can be replaced
    with, say a Centaur one? (or even the new CentaurT one?)

    Or perhaps someone else makes a better, but compatible one?

    Regards,
    Mark

    The Centaur in 115.5 or a Phil Wood but what is happening to the Ac-H?
    Is the frame BB shell prepped? Faced BB shell?

  13. Kenny said:
    Mark Janeba said:

    Did you mean *cassette* lockring tool?

    In older Campy groups the cassette lockring for Record and Chorus was
    also the BB retainer cup tool. Centaur use to have their own BB
    specific tool. Now I hear that Centaur, Record and Chorus all share the
    same cassette / BB tool.

    Kenny

    Never was a 'Centaur' BB until late 2005...they were AC-H, AC-S, etc
    and used the 5 prong tool. Now the 'Centaur' uses a lockring tool ala
    Record/Chorus, is a 3 bearing BB, very nice, about $65.

  14. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Kenny said:
    Mark Janeba said:

    Did you mean *cassette* lockring tool?

    In older Campy groups the cassette lockring for Record and Chorus was
    also the BB retainer cup tool. Centaur use to have their own BB
    specific tool. Now I hear that Centaur, Record and Chorus all share the
    same cassette / BB tool.

    Kenny

    Never was a 'Centaur' BB until late 2005...they were AC-H, AC-S, etc
    and used the 5 prong tool. Now the 'Centaur' uses a lockring tool ala
    Record/Chorus, is a 3 bearing BB, very nice, about $65.

    $46. See www.lickbike.com

    Robin Hubert

  15. Robin Hubert said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Kenny said:

    Mark Janeba wrote:

    >Did you mean *cassette* lockring tool?

    In older Campy groups the cassette lockring for Record and Chorus was
    also the BB retainer cup tool. Centaur use to have their own BB
    specific tool. Now I hear that Centaur, Record and Chorus all share the
    same cassette / BB tool.

    Kenny

    Never was a 'Centaur' BB until late 2005...they were AC-H, AC-S, etc
    and used the 5 prong tool. Now the 'Centaur' uses a lockring tool ala
    Record/Chorus, is a 3 bearing BB, very nice, about $65.

    $46. See www.lickbike.com

    Robin Hubert

    ahhh, what's that a 23% margin? Mailorder does not the market
    make.....sell lots at this margin, or yer lights might not be on.....

  16. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    ahhh, what's that a 23% margin? Mailorder does not the market
    make.....sell lots at this margin, or yer lights might not be on.....

    that's not the buyer's problem. paying your bills is your
    responsibility.

  17. I'll second that. The Phil Wood on my commuter has failed twice
    (bearings). I'm now running a Shimano tapered BB, which at $30 or so
    is less than one-half of the repair to the Wood and has lasted as long
    so far.

  18. Quoted message said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    ahhh, what's that a 23% margin? Mailorder does not the market
    make.....sell lots at this margin, or yer lights might not be on.....

    that's not the buyer's problem. paying your bills is your
    responsibility.

    But, OTOH, I don't see anyone from the mailorder firms posting on this
    forum and giving sound advice based on first hand experience. Don't you
    think that's worth something?

  19. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    The Centaur in 115.5 or a Phil Wood but what is happening to the Ac-H?
    Is the frame BB shell prepped? Faced BB shell?

    I'd suspect that the answer to one of those is either no or improperly.

    Jasper

  20. Qui si parla Campagnolo says...

    Quoted message said:

    ahhh, what's that a 23% margin? Mailorder does not the market
    make.....sell lots at this margin, or yer lights might not be on.....

    Lickton's is a no frills operation, but they do have a store front and I
    believe they do custom builds if requested. Don't know if they do a lot
    of repairs. Maybe its just cheaper to do business in a crowded little
    corner of west side Chicago than in Boulder. The clientele of Boulder
    probably don't put much pressure on you for killer prices, since Boulder
    is known for excellent bicycling opportunities and high incomes.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.