H. Guy said:got a CC catalog the other day and it featured a new pedal/cleat
by time. didn't they just redesign their stuff a coupla years ago?
is this new one compatible with the last generation, or is it
ANOTHER buy-new-pedals-and-cleats situation? i'm still using my
original TBT stuff from 89/90, and i'm sitting on a pile of spares,
so i'm good for another 20 years unless my feet change sizes.
but what's the deal? what was wrong with the LAST redesigned
revolutionary pedal system?
Excel Sports has shown the new Time RXS pedals for awhile now. And I
see an advertisement for them from Competitive Cyclist on the Cycling
News website. About $250 or so for the titanium carbon version down to
$125 for the steel composite version. And I think they have one under
$100 which does not have the various adjustments. Check Excel for
prices.
Cycling News did a brief review on them last week or so. They did not
test if the Impact cleats worked with the new RXS pedals.
My personal opinion why Time came out with a new pedal so soon after
the Impact is as follows.
The Impact was redesigned a few years ago to solve two problems. 1.
The original Equipe style was heavy. Everyone wants light weight now.
The Impact were lighter, but not by much. 2. The original Equipe used
a 4 bolt mounting pattern. So you had to have the adaptors for Carnac,
Sidi, Time shoes. Not sure if any other shoes used adaptors or not.
Most just had the 3 bolt Look drilling. So the Impact cleat had the 3
bolt pattern to work with any shoe. And I see now Carnac and Sidi have
dropped the adaptor method on their new shoes so you have to have a
cleat that uses 3 bolt Look pattern if you get new shoes.
The Impact redesign solved the 3 bolt Look pattern compatibility
problem. And this should allow you to angle the cleat some. Angling
the cleat is not possible with the 4 bolt Time pattern. But the Impact
redesign did not reduce the weight enough. So sales were probably not
great. So now we have the RXS redesign to reduce the weight even more.
And I think they look pretty good. Especially at $125. If I get a
new bike and new shoes, I'll definitely give them a try.
I'm still using the Equipe design. Started in 1992 and have never used
any other road specific pedal since. I did retire my 1992 Sport model
last year when Nashbar was selling some Competition models for about
$60. I figured I was due some new shiny pedals. The old Sport models
had worn out bearings but still worked just fine. I am on my third set
of front cleats in 13 years of use. I'm always amazed when I read
about people buying new pedals and cleats and shoes every year or two
to get the latest and greatest and lightest or fix their worn out
cleats.