Another cyclist hit by a drunk driver

Bill Anton

Guest
http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/082903/loc_082903054.shtml

No idea what he was doing on the south loop frontage road at 11:22 PM, nor is there any mention of
whether he had lights on the bike.

Here in Lubbock, roads are mostly straight and level. Lots of construction right now, but not near
where that accident happened. Our biggest problem around here (besides DWI) is people who drive
these HUGE SUVs and they're not paying attention to what they're doing: trying to drive while
chatting on the phone, scolding the kids, etc.

Please pray for the recovery of Mr. Walrath.

Bill Anton Lubbock, TX, USA

my prayers are with mr walrath for a complete and speedy recovery.

we have a similar problem here in new york, but it's made even more ridiculous because of the
intense gridlock and frayed nerves.

there's a trial balloon i've been trying to float but haven't gotten anywhere with: if you drive a
truck, you should be licensed like a truck driver, with a CDL.

cyclists in new york riding on major avenues are usually forced to ride in between lanes since there
are only two bike lanes left through midtown manhattan, and cars are parked, double parked, and
lined up to make turns. a bike and a regular car can easily coexist in one lane (2' + 6' < 10') and
a bike and a bus or a real truck can generally work with each other - the driver just snaps in the
mirror and i glide on by without needing to slow down. but for obvious reasons, escalade and
excursion drivers (and assorted others) can't get the lane dimensions right and frequently drift
over the lines. if these people had to really learn how to drive these things, there would be fewer
knock-downs.

--ag

news:[email protected]...

"Andy Gee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> but for obvious reasons, escalade and excursion drivers (and assorted others) can't get the lane
> dimensions right and frequently drift over the lines. if these people had to really learn how to
> drive these things, there would be fewer knock-downs.

My Uncle Joe drove a big ol' beer truck (at least a foot wider than an Escalade and 3 times the
length) through the streets of NYC for 30 years, with a spotless safety record. No matter what you
drive or where, the key is patience, attentiveness, and courtesy: three virtues that seem to be
waning in this country.

Bill Anton Lubbock, TX, USA

my point exactly. if you drive a commercial truck in nyc, you need a cdl (commercial driver's
license) and to get a cdl you have to know how to drive a truck. i've never been nudged, forced to
swerve or to brake by a beer truck!

--ag

"Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Gee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > but for obvious reasons, escalade and excursion drivers (and assorted others) can't get the lane
> > dimensions right and frequently drift over
the
> > lines. if these people had to really learn how to drive these things,
there
> > would be fewer knock-downs.
>
> My Uncle Joe drove a big ol' beer truck (at least a foot wider than an Escalade and 3 times the
> length) through the streets of NYC for 30 years, with a spotless safety record. No matter what you
> drive or where, the key is patience, attentiveness, and courtesy: three virtues that seem to be
> waning in this country.
>
> Bill Anton Lubbock, TX, USA

Ahhh, but can you pedal past six quart-sized beer bottles, filled with green-dyed water, spaced ten
feet apart and hit all six with a Ruger Blackhawk from fifteen feet away? All bottles taped to
minimize glass dispersion.

The only thing you need to worry about then is putting slug through block so both you and would-be
assassin come to stop close enough so you can pound it to a pulp.

Dean Arthur <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Ahhh, but can you pedal past six quart-sized beer bottles, filled with green-dyed water, spaced
> ten feet apart and hit all six with a Ruger Blackhawk from fifteen feet away? All bottles taped to
> minimize glass dispersion.

No, not a Ruger Blackhawk. Me and revolvers don't get along. Now if I can use my Glock-17c with the
33rd mag(possibly using quite a few over the six shots of the Ruger),then possibly yes. (^:

--

r practicing double taps