¦A WOMAN was seriously injured when she rode in to a head-height ¦wire strung across a path in Gorse Hill. ¦ ¦Police said the woman was riding her bike with her family about ¦8.30pm on Thursday when she hit the wire was strung about 5ft from ¦the ground across the path in St Mark's Rec. ¦ ¦She was thrown from her bike and suffered serious facial injuries¦ ¦which police said were expected to require surgery. ¦ ¦Police said they were treating the incident "extremely seriously" ¦and appealed for anyone with information to come forward. ¦ ¦Anyone with information should phone Swindon police on ¦0845 408 7000.
¦A WOMAN was seriously injured when she rode in to a head-height ¦wire strung across a path in Gorse Hill. ¦ ¦Police said the woman was riding her bike with her family about ¦8.30pm on Thursday when she hit the wire was strung about 5ft from ¦the ground across the path in St Mark's Rec. ¦ ¦She was thrown from her bike and suffered serious facial injuries¦ ¦which police said were expected to require surgery. ¦ ¦Police said they were treating the incident "extremely seriously" ¦and appealed for anyone with information to come forward. ¦ ¦Anyone with information should phone Swindon police on ¦0845 408 7000.
I've used that path once and, strangely enough, I was actually on the lookout for such devices; the little bollards are asking for something to be tied between them. Gorse Hill is as pikey as ****.
¦A WOMAN was seriously injured when she rode in to a head-height ¦wire strung across a path in Gorse Hill. ¦ ¦Police said the woman was riding her bike with her family about ¦8.30pm on Thursday when she hit the wire was strung about 5ft from ¦the ground across the path in St Mark's Rec. ¦ ¦She was thrown from her bike and suffered serious facial injuries¦ ¦which police said were expected to require surgery. ¦ ¦Police said they were treating the incident "extremely seriously" ¦and appealed for anyone with information to come forward. ¦ ¦Anyone with information should phone Swindon police on ¦0845 408 7000.
I've used that path once and, strangely enough, I was actually on the lookout for such devices; the little bollards are asking for something to be tied between them. Gorse Hill is as pikey as ****.
It is attempted murder.
And when they catch someone setting up such a trap, that is what they should be charged with, with appropriate sentence.
It would only be attempted murder if there were intent to kill
The mens rea (the Latin for the "guilty mind"😉 for murder includes both an intention to kill and/or to cause grievous bodily harm where there is a high probability of death resulting, whereas attempted murder depends on an intention to kill alone. This makes the offence difficult to prove and it is more common for a lesser charge to be preferred under the Offences Against The Person Act 1861.
Le Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:17:28 +0100, p.k. a écrit :
Quoted message said:
ian henden said:
It is attempted murder.
It would only be attempted murder if there were intent to kill
The mens rea (the Latin for the "guilty mind"😉 for murder includes both an intention to kill and/or to cause grievous bodily harm where there is a high probability of death resulting, whereas attempted murder depends on an intention to kill alone. This makes the offence difficult to prove and it is more common for a lesser charge to be preferred under the Offences Against The Person Act 1861.
pk
Well, things may be changing lately. There have been speeding drunk drivers sentenced for murder on the basis that they had to know that their behaviour was likely to cause somebody's death.
Le Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:17:28 +0100, p.k. a écrit :
Quoted message said:
ian henden said:
It is attempted murder.
It would only be attempted murder if there were intent to kill
The mens rea (the Latin for the "guilty mind"😉 for murder includes both an intention to kill and/or to cause grievous bodily harm where there is a high probability of death resulting, whereas attempted murder depends on an intention to kill alone. This makes the offence difficult to prove and it is more common for a lesser charge to be preferred under the Offences Against The Person Act 1861.
Well, things may be changing lately. There have been speeding drunk drivers sentenced for murder on the basis that they had to know that their behaviour was likely to cause somebody's death.
Well, things may be changing lately. There have been speeding drunk drivers sentenced for murder on the basis that they had to know that their behaviour was likely to cause somebody's death.
Is that in Switzerland or the UK?
It would be gratifying to think that it was in the UK, but I fear not. -- Chris
Well, things may be changing lately. There have been speeding drunk drivers sentenced for murder on the basis that they had to know that their behaviour was likely to cause somebody's death.
Is that in Switzerland or the UK?
It would be gratifying to think that it was in the UK, but I fear not.
In the meantime we need something rather like the vertical piece of angle iron with a hook-shaped cutter at the top which was fixed on the front of some jeeps in Normandy to prevent decapitation by wire. It will need to be a bit lighter, of course. I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular.
I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular.
I can't see how I'd be any more vulnerable on an upright than I was when the fishing line got me on my recumbent. In fact on that day I might have been better off on an upright, as the line would only have been at chest height, but the scumbags strung the next couple of lines slightly higher up.
I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular.
I can't see how I'd be any more vulnerable on an upright than I was when the fishing line got me on my recumbent.
I would have thought you would be better off on an upright because you can be pushed backwards off the bike by the line if it doesn't break. With a recumbent seat you can't be pushed backwards because the seat is in the way so the line force will have to be sufficient to stop you if it doesn't break.
-- Tony
"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular.
I can't see how I'd be any more vulnerable on an upright than I was when the fishing line got me on my recumbent.
I would have thought you would be better off on an upright because you can be pushed backwards off the bike by the line if it doesn't break. With a recumbent seat you can't be pushed backwards because the seat is in the way so the line force will have to be sufficient to stop you if it doesn't break.
Probably true but the overseat steering on my bike provides quite a lot of protection (especially with the metal-post-mounted mirror I have on top of them). And no, I don't want to ever find out if this is true or not!
I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular.
I can't see how I'd be any more vulnerable on an upright than I was when the fishing line got me on my recumbent.
I would have thought you would be better off on an upright because you can be pushed backwards off the bike by the line if it doesn't break. With a recumbent seat you can't be pushed backwards because the seat is in the way so the line force will have to be sufficient to stop you if it doesn't break.
The weight of the cycle is not that significant a proportion of the weight of rider+cycle. If you were hitting a piece of seat-belt webbing stretched across the path, then yes, you could be stopped, whatever you were riding. If you hit a piece of stretched fishing line at speed, it's going to cut.
-- [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by ; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or ; www-html. -- George Lund
Squashme wrote: > I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular. I can't see how I'd be any more vulnerable on an upright than I was when the fishing line got me on my recumbent.
I would have thought you would be better off on an upright because you can be pushed backwards off the bike by the line if it doesn't break. With a recumbent seat you can't be pushed backwards because the seat is in the way so the line force will have to be sufficient to stop you if it doesn't break.
The weight of the cycle is not that significant a proportion of the weight of rider+cycle. If you were hitting a piece of seat-belt webbing stretched across the path, then yes, you could be stopped, whatever you were riding. If you hit a piece of stretched fishing line at speed, it's going to cut.
But you would agree that of the two you would be better off on an upright?
-- Tony
"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
Danny Colyer wrote on 09/07/2006 19:16 +0100: > Squashme wrote: >> I suppose this business will make recumbents more popular. > I can't see how I'd be any more vulnerable on an upright than I was > when the fishing line got me on my recumbent. I would have thought you would be better off on an upright because you can be pushed backwards off the bike by the line if it doesn't break. With a recumbent seat you can't be pushed backwards because the seat is in the way so the line force will have to be sufficient to stop you if it doesn't break.
The weight of the cycle is not that significant a proportion of the weight of rider+cycle. If you were hitting a piece of seat-belt webbing stretched across the path, then yes, you could be stopped, whatever you were riding. If you hit a piece of stretched fishing line at speed, it's going to cut.
But you would agree that of the two you would be better off on an upright?
No. If the line is stretched at the appropriate height and you hit it fast it's going to cause severe injury. I really don't think the configoration of the bike would make a ha'p'orth of difference. Of course, on a low recumbent you've a chance of passing clear under a line strung to catch people on uprights. But if you hit it, you've going to be injured. Throat probably worst, but I wouldn't like to be caught across the eyes either.
If you hit a piece of stretched fishing line at speed, it's going to cut.
and Tony Raven wondered:
Quoted message said:
But you would agree that of the two you would be better off on an upright?
That's my gut feeling, but I'm not prepared to perform a control experiment riding an upright.
But the report says that the wire was 5 feet from the ground. How high is a recumbent plus rider? (You may observe that I speak from complete ignorance here) (Not for the first time, you may also observe)
But the report says that the wire was 5 feet from the ground. How high is a recumbent plus rider? (You may observe that I speak from complete ignorance here) (Not for the first time, you may also observe)
Wouldn't it just lop your pennant, so to speak?
Wires can be strung at any height. When I got got, the wire was at neck height for a Street Machine or BMX rider (it was pure coincidence, of course, that the first rider to come along was on a Street Machine and not a BMX): <url:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/cycling/fishingline/>
I was much luckier than the latest victim. The line came untied at one end before it did any more than what was, in the end, a fairly superficial cut.
In article <[email hidden]> Simon Brooke <[email hidden]> wrote: <snip>
Quoted message said:
No. If the line is stretched at the appropriate height and you hit it fast it's going to cause severe injury. I really don't think the configoration of the bike would make a ha'p'orth of difference.
But it's probably easier to fit a cable cutter to a recumbent than any other type of bike.