Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Another DIY Paint Job Question

Started by Scott Gordo · · Last activity · 6 posts · 456 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 January 2008
Last activity
4 January 2008
Original author
Scott Gordo
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
456
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Skimmed older posts but after a few discussions with shop guys and
    hearing all kinds of debris I figured I'd go to the Oracle. That's you
    guys.

    I garbage picked a half-stripped Specialized Sirrus, probably no more
    than a couple years old. Looks like it had been a delivery bike and
    treated downright sadistically: maybe 40% of the dark red paint has
    been chipped up by a carelessly swung Kryptonite chain and the entire
    downtube is now exposed aluminum. There isn't a tube on the bike that
    didn't suffer this kind of ritualized beating. What little wasn't
    chain-flogged was protected by a thick coat black brake, grease, and
    road mung.

    Cleaned it up a bit and upon inspection I didn't find any cracks or
    dents. Put some wheels on it and took a slow spin (vbrakes had been
    removed) around the block and didn't feel anything that suggested
    impending catastrophic failure. I've also got some parts lying around
    I think would make a happy home on it (and would make my home happier
    with less bits strewn about.)

    I know we're not exactly talking about a vintage Masi here, but if it
    doesn't mean a ludicrous amount of labor I'd be interested in
    stripping the frame down and trying a decent rattlecan job. More than
    anything this would be a trial run as within a few years I don't think
    I'll be able to find a nail polish brush wide enough for some of my
    steel frames.

    I've heard everything from stripping with nasty oven cleaning spray
    and a hose to professional bead blasting being the only solution as
    there's some kind of factory surface treatment that, if harmed, will
    do bad things to the frame. I also read an archived post of Mr. Muzi's
    that suggested simply roughing up the clearcoat's surface layer with
    sandpaper, priming, and painting, but I think it's likely that the
    small craters left where there once was paint will stand out without
    some kind of filler, which seems potentially more time consuming than
    stripping. I could, however, be coerced otherwise....

    Also, naturally, I'm trying to keep the price on this project as close
    to nil as possible. Lets say under $30.

    Suggestions much appreciated.

    Scott

  2. Scott Gordo said:

    Skimmed older posts but after a few discussions with shop guys and
    hearing all kinds of debris I figured I'd go to the Oracle. That's you
    guys.

    I garbage picked a half-stripped Specialized Sirrus, probably no more
    than a couple years old. Looks like it had been a delivery bike and
    treated downright sadistically: maybe 40% of the dark red paint has
    been chipped up by a carelessly swung Kryptonite chain and the entire
    downtube is now exposed aluminum. There isn't a tube on the bike that
    didn't suffer this kind of ritualized beating. What little wasn't
    chain-flogged was protected by a thick coat black brake, grease, and
    road mung.

    Cleaned it up a bit and upon inspection I didn't find any cracks or
    dents. Put some wheels on it and took a slow spin (vbrakes had been
    removed) around the block and didn't feel anything that suggested
    impending catastrophic failure. I've also got some parts lying around
    I think would make a happy home on it (and would make my home happier
    with less bits strewn about.)

    I know we're not exactly talking about a vintage Masi here, but if it
    doesn't mean a ludicrous amount of labor I'd be interested in
    stripping the frame down and trying a decent rattlecan job. More than
    anything this would be a trial run as within a few years I don't think
    I'll be able to find a nail polish brush wide enough for some of my
    steel frames.

    I've heard everything from stripping with nasty oven cleaning spray
    and a hose to professional bead blasting being the only solution as
    there's some kind of factory surface treatment that, if harmed, will
    do bad things to the frame. I also read an archived post of Mr. Muzi's
    that suggested simply roughing up the clearcoat's surface layer with
    sandpaper, priming, and painting, but I think it's likely that the
    small craters left where there once was paint will stand out without
    some kind of filler, which seems potentially more time consuming than
    stripping. I could, however, be coerced otherwise....

    Also, naturally, I'm trying to keep the price on this project as close
    to nil as possible. Lets say under $30.

    For under $30, wash the bare frame (detergent and hot water) thoroughly
    to remove any oil, wax, crud, silicon, etc. Wetsand the finish with 400
    paper such that there are no shiny spots in the old paint.

    I'd chance a good scrubbed and sanded aluminum and old paint substrate
    with grey aerosol primer at this level. If you find poor adhesion after
    a year or two, you can use real metal etch next time. (I don't think,
    given the budget and your educational component here, that's worth
    anguishing over)

    Wetsand with 600 between coats of primer and before color if desired.
    You'll get a much improved finish with a small time investment at that
    point. Multiple primer coats are OK to fill uneven 'lock peened' areas.

    Note that you can't get a decent finish working below about 65 degrees
    and you'll need ventilation, so, depending on your location, January may
    be a problem.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  3. "A Muzi" wrote: (clip) Note that you can't get a decent finish working
    below about 65 degrees (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    When I want my rattle-can paint to spray really well, especially in cold
    weather, I shake the can while holding it under a hot water tap. Adjust the
    water temp 'til it's ALMOST uncomfortable. This raises the propellant
    pressure and lowers the paint viscosity, both of which help produce a very
    fine spray.

    DON'T do what my friend did, and heat it on the stove, while chatting
    outside with a friend. The can exploded, shot up like a rocket, broke the
    stove grate and sprayed red paint all over his kitchen, and embedded itself
    in the ceiling.

  4. Leo Lichtman said:

    When I want my rattle-can paint to spray really well, especially in cold
    weather, I shake the can while holding it under a hot water tap. Adjust the
    water temp 'til it's ALMOST uncomfortable. This raises the propellant
    pressure and lowers the paint viscosity, both of which help produce a very
    fine spray.

    You still won't get a proper finish below 65 degrees without mixing
    the paint with a proper low temp additive (difficult with a rattle
    can).

  5. Leo Lichtman said:

    DON'T do what my friend did, and heat it on the stove, while chatting
    outside with a friend. The can exploded, shot up like a rocket, broke the
    stove grate and sprayed red paint all over his kitchen, and embedded itself
    in the ceiling.

    GIF! GIF!

  6. Leo Lichtman said:

    ...
    DON'T do what my friend did, and heat it on the stove, while chatting
    outside with a friend. The can exploded, shot up like a rocket, broke the
    stove grate and sprayed red paint all over his kitchen, and embedded itself
    in the ceiling.

    We want video!

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    POST FREE OR DIE!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.