I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too). The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever. Both
have XT rear derailleur
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)
Dave
UK and Europe · Public discussion
Another stupid question - about ratchet noise
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- UK and Europe
- Published
- 28 August 2004
- Last activity
- 1 September 2004
- Original author
- David
- Posts
- 10
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,540
- Views / 30 days
- 22
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
David said:
I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too). The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever. Both
have XT rear derailleur
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)
DaveThe ratchet is in the freehub body, not the mech. Some makes/models click,
some don't. Campagnolo freehubs click like billy-o (sp?) -- quite pleasant,
really. -
David said:
I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too).Exactly! It's normal.
Quoted message said:
The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever.There's bound to be /some/ noise if you stick your lug hole close enough.
Some Shimayes hubs have "Silent Roller Clutch" versions but not the Deore.
Maybe just the slightly different design happens makes it queiter or it
has more grease in there. Also different bikes can amplify noises more
than others.Quoted message said:
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?Do not take the hub apart and add grease. There would be a risk of
gumming up the pawls up if you did. Pawls are the spring loaded things
that engage with the ratchet inside the hub ("freehub"😉. They need to be
able to spring back freely otherwise you'd have no drive when you
pedalled. This action naturally makes a noise. If you think it's loud,
you should hear a Campagnolo 8-speed one.Quoted message said:
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)
No chance ;-)
~PB
-
I scribbled:
Quoted message said:
Do not take the hub apart and add grease.
I meant the freehub body AKA freewheel body, the part the sprockets fit on
that contains the freewheel mechanism. It's alright to add grease to the
main hub bearings, if you know what you're doing.~PB
-
Simonb said:
David said:
I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too). The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever. Both
have XT rear derailleur
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)
DaveThe ratchet is in the freehub body, not the mech. Some makes/models click,
some don't. Campagnolo freehubs click like billy-o (sp?) -- quite pleasant,
really.Try a Chris King - like being chased by a swarm of hornets
Tony
-
"Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Simonb said:
The ratchet is in the freehub body, not the mech. Some makes/models
click,Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
some don't. Campagnolo freehubs click like billy-o (sp?) -- quite
pleasant,Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
really.
Try a Chris King - like being chased by a swarm of hornets
I used to rely on lollipop sticks taped to the stays until I got a Hope XC.
Music!Pete
-
in message <[email hidden]>, David
(') said:
I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too). The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever. Both
have XT rear derailleur
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)Allegedly this is because Campagnolo hubs famously click loudly, and in
trying to sell higher end kit to roadies Shimano designed their higher
end kit to sound as much like Campag as possible. I do not know this to
be true but it's a good story and not at all impossible.--
[email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ -
"Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
David said:
I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too).Exactly! It's normal.
Quoted message said:
The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever.There's bound to be /some/ noise if you stick your lug hole close enough.
Some Shimayes hubs have "Silent Roller Clutch" versions but not the Deore.
Maybe just the slightly different design happens makes it queiter or it
has more grease in there. Also different bikes can amplify noises more
than others.Quoted message said:
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?Do not take the hub apart and add grease. There would be a risk of
gumming up the pawls up if you did. Pawls are the spring loaded things
that engage with the ratchet inside the hub ("freehub"😉. They need to be
able to spring back freely otherwise you'd have no drive when you
pedalled. This action naturally makes a noise. If you think it's loud,
you should hear a Campagnolo 8-speed one.Quoted message said:
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)
No chance ;-)
~PB
This rang a bell with me !
Just checked my rear wheel and yes it`s marked Shimano Deore Silent Clutch
FH-R080 and it certainly is "silent".
This wheel (and the front Deore LX HB-M563) were supplied FOC by the LBC
last year due to fitting my original rear wheel to someone else's
machine -(manager blamed "the lad" - listening to "pop" on radio). Original
wheels (Alexa) were not up to much, never really true for long and spokes
had started to break on drive side.
As far as I can tell these wheels could be upto four years old , but so is
the bike (TREK 700) so I`m happy.Colin N
-
Colin Nelson said:
This rang a bell with me !
Just checked my rear wheel and yes it`s marked Shimano Deore Silent
Clutch FH-R080 and it certainly is "silent".Oh right. I didn't realise the Deore had a Silent Clutch version, was
using the Shimano current online catalogue as reference.~PB
-
Simon Brooke <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
in message <[email hidden]>, David
(') said:
I have XT wheels on my bike, and I've noticed that it makes a
ratcheting clicking noise when you turn the crank back (OK many other
bikes I've had do this too). The strange thing is my partner has a
similar bike with Deore wheels and it makes no noise whatsoever. Both
have XT rear derailleur
Whats going on here ? Do I need to lubricate something, or is it a
different ratchet thang ?
Any justifying-the-extra-for-XT advice appreciated :-)Allegedly this is because Campagnolo hubs famously click loudly, and in
trying to sell higher end kit to roadies Shimano designed their higher
end kit to sound as much like Campag as possible. I do not know this to
be true but it's a good story and not at all impossible.Having just re-examined both bikes, I have concluded that my XT rear
wheel and cassette have a better class of enthusiast-semi-pro-click
than that of the Deore. I am vindicated :-)
Dave
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.