General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Anquet v06

Started by Nick Hopton · · Last activity · 34 posts · 973 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 June 2007
Last activity
25 June 2007
Original author
Nick Hopton
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
973
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nick Hopton said:

    A typical walk for me might be a circular one perhaps 30-odd km long,
    comprising many bits of interconnecting footpaths in the local area.

    Is this an open area, or a mixture of forests and farmland tracks?

    Quoted message said:

    To navigate walks like this without stopping every five minutes to
    consult maps, I need to be able to follow a track on the GPS that is
    good to a few metres. Plotting a track like this takes lots of track
    points. I also pop numbered waypoints on the track at intervals of
    about 500 or a 1000 metres, so that I can keep track <groan> of where
    I am. I think this is the way that many people navigate using GPSs
    but unfortunately you can't plan walks in Anquet using track points

    I'm not sure that it is actually. I don't navigate that way. I don't follow
    tracks and I usually have no more than a dozen waypoints. The key thing is
    to carefully choose where to place the waypoints, typically at critical
    points like path junctions, bridges, summits, features of interest etc. How
    I get from one waypoint to another isn't actually that important, and it
    often isn't a straight line (although I'll add an extra waypoint or two if I
    need to avoid a cliff or lake or whatever).

    Of course, I usually walk on open ground which is often trackless, and I can
    choose my route to suit the lay of the land. In farmland/forestry I'd use a
    lot more waypoints.

    If there are a lot of interconnecting footpaths, the main thing is to mark
    the junctions. It doesn't really matter how much the paths twist and turn
    between the junctions, you just need to know which way to turn at each
    junction. If the following junction waypoint doesn't indicate the right
    direction to turn, you may need to insert an extra "directional" waypoint
    shortly after the junction. Or you could add some text to the waypoint
    description, like "Turn left", or even "L" if you want to keep it short.

    With careful planning you don't actually need that many waypoints, and you
    don't really need a detailed track to follow, although it makes things very
    easy if you do. But do you really want to spend the whole walk staring at
    your GPS? If you just have waypoints at junctions, you only have to look at
    the GPS when you reach each junction.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  2. Nick Hopton said:

    I didn't know that Anquet wasn't designed from the outset to work with
    GPSs and that the GPS handling procedures were bolted on afterwards.
    This must explain many of the problems.

    This is only true of V1. V06 was written with GPS interaction in mind -
    hence the change in terminology.

    Quoted message said:


    So, from our discussions I conclude that for me, at least, the main
    problem with the system is that it is not possible to plot directly a
    *track* on the map, save it and send it to the GPS. It is, of course,
    possible to plot a *route* on the map using lots of waypoints and send
    it to the GPS as a track, but this is a very unsatisfactory way of doing
    things, there needs to be a clear distinction kept between *routes* and
    *tracks*. My GPS and I suppose most GPSs can only store a limited number
    of waypoints, but lots of track points, which is why the distinction is
    important.

    I still don't understand why you find it unsatisfactory to save a route
    as a track? This gets around the maximum waypoints issue. Perhaps I'm
    missing something in the way that Gartrip works?

    Quoted message said:

    There are still a few problems, one ought, for example, to be able to
    right-click on a folder and then select 'hide' from the menu, to stop
    its data from being displayed on the map.

    The required action (on a database object) is Right Click - Close
    Database. Alternatively, you can go into the "Appearance" tab for any
    route and switch off the display of waypoints and/or make the route
    transparent.

    The problem of the truncated

    Quoted message said:

    boxes is a serious one and needs fixing urgently, I have hundreds of
    programs on this computer and this is the *only* one that behaves in
    this way.

    I'll drop Anquet a line about all this and let you know what they have
    to say (assuming that they give me permission to do this).

    Regards, Nick.

  3. Roy said:

    In v06 it is possible to run an option to reduce the number of waypoints
    on a route (or should that be routelet?). I don't know how the algorithm
    works and if it would leave behind the waypoints you actually want. Then
    again, I don't use GPS.

    I've found this to be less than satisfactory as it can delete some
    important waypoints.

    druidh

  4. Nick Hopton said:

    Roy wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    In v06 it is possible to run an option to reduce the number of
    waypoints on a route (or should that be routelet?). I don't know how
    the algorithm works and if it would leave behind the waypoints you
    actually want. Then again, I don't use GPS.


    [...]

    A typical walk for me might be a circular one perhaps 30-odd km long,
    comprising many bits of interconnecting footpaths in the local area. To
    navigate walks like this without stopping every five minutes to consult
    maps, I need to be able to follow a track on the GPS that is good to a
    few metres. Plotting a track like this takes lots of track points. I
    also pop numbered waypoints on the track at intervals of about 500 or a
    1000 metres, so that I can keep track <groan> of where I am. I think
    this is the way that many people navigate using GPSs but unfortunately
    you can't plan walks in Anquet using track points (not directly, anyway).

    I've never experienced anyone plotting / walking to this degree of
    "accuracy". TBH - perhaps a full mapping GPS would be better (I
    appreciate it's also more costly). e,g, you could use your existing
    software and Geko with a PDA.

    druidh

  5. Paul Saunders said:
    druidh said:

    As for the storing and handling of data, I've created a number of
    databases for different purposes - planned walks, completed walks,
    geocaches etc. Within these databases, I may have a number of folders,
    perhaps with some geographical grouping. The advantage of the multiple
    database approach is that each can be opened/ closed as required -
    with as many open as your screen can cope with! Closing down any you don't
    want at that time unclutters the screen.

    I'm still using the "old" Anquet, v1.2.20, so I'm not familiar with these
    databases. How do they compare to the Data Management and categories of the
    old version?

    Sorry Paul - I DO recall playing around with the Data management feature
    but it's so long ago :-) The one issue I have with this feature is that
    the "Naismiths" calculations are set at the System level. It's not
    possible to set a default for each database.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Note that the earlier version of Anquet used the term "path" for a
    section of a route - each route could be made from a number of
    "paths". This nomenclature was dropped with V06 as GPS devices did
    not recognise this construct.

    So have they just changed the nomenclature, or are there more fundamental
    changes to how the new Anquet works? I didn't like the sound of some of the
    new changes so I still haven't tried it.


    The new user interface includes an "Explorer" type window - much the
    same as Windows Explorer. So, drag-and-drop of routes/routlets is
    possible. I'm not aware of any GPS function which is now lacking - can
    you think of something that was problematic before, and I can report back?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    However, it is still possible to create
    "sub-routes" within each route, join them, copy them etc. So, a
    classic use for me might be a sub-route from the car park to a
    bridge, then another for a horse-shoe walk, then re-use the first
    from the bridge to the car park by copying it and using the Reverse
    option. Saves going over the same bit twice.

    Which is basically how the original Anquet was designed to work.

    Yep - and was one of it's strengths compared with, say, Memory Map. The
    new multi-DB option just makes this a bit easier (IMO of course).

    Quoted message said:


    Paul

  6. druidh wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A typical walk for me might be a circular one perhaps 30-odd km long,
    comprising many bits of interconnecting footpaths in the local area.
    To navigate walks like this without stopping every five minutes to
    consult maps, I need to be able to follow a track on the GPS that is
    good to a few metres. Plotting a track like this takes lots of track
    points. I also pop numbered waypoints on the track at intervals of
    about 500 or a 1000 metres, so that I can keep track <groan> of where
    I am. I think this is the way that many people navigate using GPSs but
    unfortunately you can't plan walks in Anquet using track points (not
    directly, anyway).

    I've never experienced anyone plotting / walking to this degree of
    "accuracy". TBH - perhaps a full mapping GPS would be better (I
    appreciate it's also more costly). e,g, you could use your existing
    software and Geko with a PDA.


    [...]

    No thanks, the Geko is just fine for me, I keep the little walking man
    on the line of the track and I know I'm on course. We all have our own
    ideas about what suits us and for walking at least I don't see any point
    in using mapping GPSs or PDAs. All I need to do is plot a track, pop a
    few numbered waypoints on it, sent the track and the waypoints to the
    GPS and print a map showing the track and the waypoints. My needs are
    simple, but Anquet makes doing this very hard work. For example, for no
    apparent reason when I'm plotting a track Anquet will suddenly decide to
    change the directory where the points are being stored. I can't even
    begin to understand why this happens, it's really not good enough.

    The mapping, of course, is brilliant, but for me its functionality is
    wrecked by the miserable, confusing way that I have to try and interact
    with it.

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton,
    Caversham, Reading, England.

  7. Paul Saunders said:

    With careful planning you don't actually need that many waypoints, and you
    don't really need a detailed track to follow, although it makes things very
    easy if you do. But do you really want to spend the whole walk staring at
    your GPS? If you just have waypoints at junctions, you only have to look at
    the GPS when you reach each junction.

    I find that I don't even need waypoints at every junction. I omit a
    junction waypoint if heading towards the next waypoint would tell me
    which way turn to take at the junction, which it often does. So when
    following a route I'll simply choose whichever exit is closest to the
    direction the GPS is pointing me to.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  8. Chris Malcolm said:

    I find that I don't even need waypoints at every junction. I omit a
    junction waypoint if heading towards the next waypoint would tell me
    which way turn to take at the junction, which it often does. So when
    following a route I'll simply choose whichever exit is closest to the
    direction the GPS is pointing me to.

    Very good point! Now that's what I call intelligent waypoint placement. It's
    surprising how few waypoints you actually need if you place them carefully
    enough. Micro-navigation with multiple waypoints in a small area is rarely
    necessary.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    Latest Blog Post: A Photo or a Snap?
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  9. druidh said:

    The new user interface includes an "Explorer" type window - much the
    same as Windows Explorer. So, drag-and-drop of routes/routlets is
    possible. I'm not aware of any GPS function which is now lacking - can
    you think of something that was problematic before, and I can report
    back?

    It was a long time ago, but didn't Anquet choose where to put the waypoints
    itself? Like every 100m or so?

    The main thing that bugs me about Anquet and MM is that you can't create
    "proper" waypoints. What I mean is that you don't have a choice of the
    actual waypoint symbols used in the GPS (lots of pretty icons in Anquet, but
    what use is that when they don't correspond to your GPS?) and you can't edit
    the description field.

    Or maybe you can now, I don't know. Like I say, I use Ozi and GPSU for my
    GPS management so I'm not really bothered how Anquet or MM do it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    Latest Blog Post: A Photo or a Snap?
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  10. druidh <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    With my Geko 301, the standard practice is to follow a Route. A Route
    is made up of a number of waypoints.
    A Track is something which the GPS creates as you walk/cycle.

    It is not universally standard practice. I always use a saved track rather
    than a route, placing waypoints only where I want them rather than at every
    point the route changes direction.

    Quoted message said:

    It IS possible to download a route "as a track" and use the Geko to
    follow this. This has the advantage of having more "waypoints"
    (actually trackpoints) - but these are not listed as such in the Geko
    Waypoints list.

    Exactly, and not having them cluttering up the waypoint list seems an
    advantage to me. I have had a case, where going on a ten day holiday, using
    routes I would have run out of waypoint space (500) but tracks were fine.

  11. Paul Saunders said:
    druidh said:

    The new user interface includes an "Explorer" type window - much the
    same as Windows Explorer. So, drag-and-drop of routes/routlets is
    possible. I'm not aware of any GPS function which is now lacking - can
    you think of something that was problematic before, and I can report
    back?

    It was a long time ago, but didn't Anquet choose where to put the waypoints
    itself? Like every 100m or so?

    Don't recall that one.

    Quoted message said:

    The main thing that bugs me about Anquet and MM is that you can't create
    "proper" waypoints. What I mean is that you don't have a choice of the
    actual waypoint symbols used in the GPS (lots of pretty icons in Anquet, but
    what use is that when they don't correspond to your GPS?)

    Agreed - a proper pain. How hard could that be??

    and you can't edit

    Quoted message said:

    the description field.

    That one seems to have been sorted.

    Quoted message said:


    Or maybe you can now, I don't know. Like I say, I use Ozi and GPSU for my
    GPS management so I'm not really bothered how Anquet or MM do it.

    Paul

  12. John Yale said:

    druidh <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    With my Geko 301, the standard practice is to follow a Route. A Route
    is made up of a number of waypoints.
    A Track is something which the GPS creates as you walk/cycle.

    It is not universally standard practice. I always use a saved track rather
    than a route, placing waypoints only where I want them rather than at every
    point the route changes direction.

    Aye true - but this has only really been possible with the advent of
    add-on software. As far as I know, it's impossible to manually enter a
    Track into a GPS - i.e. the GPS was built to have Waypoints and Routes
    as it's default.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    It IS possible to download a route "as a track" and use the Geko to
    follow this. This has the advantage of having more "waypoints"
    (actually trackpoints) - but these are not listed as such in the Geko
    Waypoints list.

    Exactly, and not having them cluttering up the waypoint list seems an
    advantage to me. I have had a case, where going on a ten day holiday, using
    routes I would have run out of waypoint space (500) but tracks were fine.

    Me too. And it saves having to find unique names for all your waypoints.
    (although Anquet provides a "Prefix" option to help in this regard).

    druidh

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, druidh
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    John Yale said:

    druidh <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    With my Geko 301, the standard practice is to follow a Route. A
    Route
    is made up of a number of waypoints.
    A Track is something which the GPS creates as you walk/cycle.


    It is not universally standard practice. I always use a saved track
    rather than a route, placing waypoints only where I want them rather
    than at every point the route changes direction.

    Aye true - but this has only really been possible with the advent of
    add-on software. As far as I know, it's impossible to manually enter a
    Track into a GPS - i.e. the GPS was built to have Waypoints and Routes
    as it's default.

    Even some of the early Gamins (40, 45, 38) could have tracks loaded into
    them from the Garmin PCX-5 software that ran under DOS.

    When the saved tracks & trackback features were introduced it then
    became practical to use saved tracks in place of routes.

    Since then I have almost always used saved tracks in preference to
    routes. The only potential advantage of routes is the eta to the
    waypoints but that it negated by the fact that it is calculated over a
    straight line and unless you use a lot of waypoints (leading to clutter)
    it will not follow the actual route over the ground if it is not
    straight.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  14. druidh <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    With my Geko 301, the standard practice is to follow a Route. A
    Route is made up of a number of waypoints.
    A Track is something which the GPS creates as you walk/cycle.

    It is not universally standard practice. I always use a saved track
    rather than a route, placing waypoints only where I want them rather
    than at every point the route changes direction.

    Aye true - but this has only really been possible with the advent of
    add-on software. As far as I know, it's impossible to manually enter a
    Track into a GPS - i.e. the GPS was built to have Waypoints and Routes
    as it's default.

    OK, I hadn't thought of that. I think twice before manually entering one
    waypoint manually, so the idea of entering a whole route manually never
    occured to me 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It IS possible to download a route "as a track" and use the Geko to
    follow this. This has the advantage of having more "waypoints"
    (actually trackpoints) - but these are not listed as such in the
    Geko Waypoints list.

    Exactly, and not having them cluttering up the waypoint list seems an
    advantage to me. I have had a case, where going on a ten day holiday,
    using routes I would have run out of waypoint space (500) but tracks
    were fine.

    Me too. And it saves having to find unique names for all your
    waypoints. (although Anquet provides a "Prefix" option to help in this
    regard).

    I use Tracklogs, which does not distinguish between Routes and Saved
    Tracks until you upload to the GPS. For Routes it then auto names the
    waypoints with prefix letters (from the initial letters of the name, or
    your choice) and a serial number.

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.