anti-motorcycle barrier resources

anern

Guest
Hi,
Can anybody point me to some photo's of these - particularly the
derailure hanger munching ones.

Cheers,

Bruce.

On 15/05/2008 13:38, anern wrote:
> Can anybody point me to some photo's of these - particularly the
> derailure hanger munching ones.

Here are some I took last year, shortly after I finally got the council
to remove the RADAR gates from alongside:
http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031330csouthwaydrive.jpg
http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031331bsouthwaydrive.jpg
http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031331csouthwaydrive.jpg

(If you're trying to get some barriers removed, BTW, the Disability
Discrimination Act 2005 is your friend).

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:39:04 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

> On 15/05/2008 13:38, anern wrote:
>> Can anybody point me to some photo's of these - particularly the
>> derailure hanger munching ones.

> Here are some I took last year, shortly after I finally got the council
> to remove the RADAR gates from alongside:
> http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031330csouthwaydrive.jpg
> http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031331bsouthwaydrive.jpg
> http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031331csouthwaydrive.jpg
>
> (If you're trying to get some barriers removed, BTW, the Disability
> Discrimination Act 2005 is your friend).

Wrexham County Borough Council (name and shame) have installed these on a
cycle lane they've attempted to build on an old railway line.

Go there any weekend afternoon and you can see that they are no obstacle
at all to motorcycle riders, who only slow down to ride through if there's
pedestrians up ahead!

peter

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 15/05/2008 13:38, anern wrote:
>> Can anybody point me to some photo's of these - particularly the
>> derailure hanger munching ones.

>Here are some I took last year, shortly after I finally got the council
>to remove the RADAR gates from alongside:
>http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031330csouthwaydrive.jpg
>http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031331bsouthwaydrive.jpg
>http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z0703031331csouthwaydrive.jpg
>
>(If you're trying to get some barriers removed, BTW, the Disability
>Discrimination Act 2005 is your friend).

Would this law also help me where I am trying to get removed some
staggered barriers across a cycle way? (i.e. the kind of barriers
normally use to prevent cycles entering a footpath).

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:36:40 +0100, Mark wrote:

> Would this law also help me where I am trying to get removed some
> staggered barriers across a cycle way? (i.e. the kind of barriers
> normally use to prevent cycles entering a footpath).

If you can't get a wheelchair around them then I'm sure it would work.

Can a (recumbent) trike be considered equivalent to a wheelchair? I know
a couple of people who ride trikes because they have trouble walking and
they certainly wouldn't get through most anti-cycle devices put across
cycle lanes.

peter

On 16/05/2008 18:39, naked_draughtsman wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:36:40 +0100, Mark wrote:
>> Would this law also help me where I am trying to get removed some
>> staggered barriers across a cycle way? (i.e. the kind of barriers
>> normally use to prevent cycles entering a footpath).

> If you can't get a wheelchair around them then I'm sure it would work.

ND's right. I was hoping to direct you to the relevant part of the Act,
but I couldn't find it (ISTR it took me ages to find it last time I
looked, as well). I'm pretty sure I cited it in either a letter or an
e-mail to the council a couple of years ago, but I can't find that either.

> Can a (recumbent) trike be considered equivalent to a wheelchair? I know
> a couple of people who ride trikes because they have trouble walking and
> they certainly wouldn't get through most anti-cycle devices put across
> cycle lanes.

I don't think so, according to the letter of the law, but I'm sure the
press would have fun with barriers that prevent disabled cyclists from
accessing cycle facilities.