Any 15 year old racers?

Lifelover2.0

Feb 21, 2005
I just want to see how good everyone else is. I love biking and race however it seems like my competition is 18 year olds when I am racing, well see thats the problem. Its kinda hard to compare myself to racers 3 or more years older than me. If you guys would like to just say sometimes or have an opinon on the lack of younger riders just speak up!

Lifelover2.0 said:
I just want to see how good everyone else is. I love biking and race however it seems like my competition is 18 year olds when I am racing, well see thats the problem. Its kinda hard to compare myself to racers 3 or more years older than me. If you guys would like to just say sometimes or have an opinon on the lack of younger riders just speak up!
How do you want people to compare to you? Times, wins, category.....? Im 17 going 18 but was racing when I was 15 so I suppose I can compare in a way. What do you want to know?

I am 15 and I have been racing for a year now. I live in Idaho and there is not a shortage of 15 year old riders. On my team 6 kids are 15 and at state my the 15/16 class was 16 kids. At nationals there was over 50 15-18.

Lol...Racing over here in B grade im racin any1 from 15 to 40. Theres one or two guys my age....us 'youngsters' inprove with every race....lol

Wow we got a kid from nationals, very impressive, well anyways I was just wondering like average mph and like climber or sprinter? Personally I am a climber who rides at 25 mph. Thanks for all of your guys feedback

Lifelover2.0 said:
Wow we got a kid from nationals, very impressive, well anyways I was just wondering like average mph and like climber or sprinter? Personally I am a climber who rides at 25 mph. Thanks for all of your guys feedback
Im a bit of a mixed bag. I like my climbing but I've got a decent kick as well, probably cos I do track. Nobody really does time trials around here but as a rough guide I did 87k(55miles?) in 2:19 yesterday.

Nationals for us (australia) are split into u15, u17,u19,u23 and open. In all age groups there are at least 70 riders. Note that u15 means that you are either turning 13 or 14 in that year so really 15-18 here would easily have 100+.

State numbers here are normally around 15 for u15 and u17 but we have a population of less than 500 000. A very high ratio of junior worlds medalists/champions come from here so quality is great even though quantity isnt.

I can climb and sprint. We have gear restrictions for anyone below U19 (i think) so sprinting is weird cause you cant switch to the big ring... But they dont really care abot restrictions at club level, just state.

Yippie Kye Ay said:
I am 15 and I have been racing for a year now. I live in Idaho and there is not a shortage of 15 year old riders. On my team 6 kids are 15 and at state my the 15/16 class was 16 kids. At nationals there was over 50 15-18.
Are you referring to road nationals? On the results there were over a hundred in 17-18, and a bit less in 15-16. By the way, were you there? I'm interested in what the courses were like.

Bluey_27 said:
I can climb and sprint. We have gear restrictions for anyone below U19 (i think) so sprinting is weird cause you cant switch to the big ring... But they dont really care abot restrictions at club level, just state.
5.5m for u13 (43x16?) 6m for u15 (43x15) 6.5m for u17 (43x14) and whatever 52x14 gives you for u19 for those that are interested. Also until this year for u17 and below 30mm rim, min of 28 spokes, clincher only, no aero bars. Now it is any rim as long as its metal, min of 16 spokes, clincher, no aeros. Old system was better as it gave the less well off more of a chance and created a more equal playing field. Might see a downturn in numbers now when the rich kids bring out shamals, k's etc.. Just a bit of useless info for you..

Yeh, now its max of 25mm rim depth and not allowed to be made from compostit materials like carbon and kevlar. but you can use a wheel with 12 spokes min if its on the UCI rupture test list...some more useless info....

Bluey_27 said:
Yeh, now its max of 25mm rim depth and not allowed to be made from compostit materials like carbon and kevlar. but you can use a wheel with 12 spokes min if its on the UCI rupture test list...some more useless info....
Even with the changes, that's still an awesome rule-wish we had it in America. Especially for tt's. How can someone on non-aero wheels, even with clip-ons, go with someone on a full tt bike with disc wheels and such. And yeah, that's what some people are rollin' on.

whoawhoa said:
Even with the changes, that's still an awesome rule-wish we had it in America. Especially for tt's. How can someone on non-aero wheels, even with clip-ons, go with someone on a full tt bike with disc wheels and such. And yeah, that's what some people are rollin' on.

Yeh I feel sorry for you. Saw a picture on cyclingnews (think it was a thread on the track section here too) of I tihnk it was a 13 and under scratch race on the track at your nationals. I think out of about 15 kids there were only two on non zipp or disk style wheels. Gotta be disheartening for a lil tacker just starting to see that or for the kid who cant afford it.

In a way its the same when we reach u19 here as we're put in with the seniors. When your only 16 and havent got an arsenal sitting in the cupboard after having restrictions for so long it is quite daunting to see all the zipps and cosmics on the start line even if you know you can cream some of the fellas. Should move down here!

lol, under 13s and just about every1 is on $3000 bikes.
No aero bars are allowed either...or aero tubing for that matter.

Bluey_27 said:
lol, under 13s and just about every1 is on $3000 bikes.
No aero bars are allowed either...or aero tubing for that matter.

Sorry blue but you've gotta stick to the facts. You're allowed a bike with a maximum tube width of 80mm, as of uci rules. This means you can have a full on time trial bike as long as you've got no aerobars and legal wheels. saw a girl at nationals the other year with full teschner time trial bike without aero wheels and bars but she still had elbow pads so she couldd use her shimano cables as a semi aerobar setup. From memory she came third last!

*goes and gets membership handbook* hmmm..... i though standard ment only normal tubing.

Bluey_27 said:
*goes and gets membership handbook* hmmm..... i though standard ment only normal tubing.
I'm not having a go, just want to clear it up. Standard means that the frame sits within a diamond template (two triangle frame) and has a maximum diameter of 80mm, minimum of (from memory, not sure if this includes the seat and chain stays) 25mm. Its as of uci regulations, applies to everyone regardless of age. If you ever go to track nationals you'll see u15 and u17 riders on B.T's. Don't take too much notice of your handbook as it basically says a first year rider in an age group is still classed as a 2nd year from the prior age group. There was a lot of ******** about that down here two years ago which was quite funny to watch.