Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Any Bike Friday owners here?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 12 posts · 724 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 September 2006
Last activity
2 October 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
724
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. have some questions for you OK?

  2. Quoted message said:

    have some questions for you OK?

    I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get a Bike
    Friday or a Brompton.

    Can anyone offer some opinions and advice?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have some questions for you OK?

    I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get a Bike Friday or a
    Brompton.

    Can anyone offer some opinions and advice?

    What do you want to use it for? That is the crucial question here.
    Folding bikes are "horses for courses."

    If you want to use it to ride 8 miles to work, fold it up and bring it
    in side with you, the Brompton has the advantage. If you want to do
    mixed mode commuting like riding to the bus stop or train station, and
    then from the bus stop or train station the rest of the way to work, the
    Brompton wins hands down.

    If you want to travel by car, train, boat or air to a destination and go
    riding as a tourist, then the Bike Friday wins. If you want a
    high-performance ride, the Bike Friday wins.

    Check out

    atob.org.ukBuyers' Guide.html

  4. Tim McNamara said:

    What do you want to use it for? That is the crucial question here.
    Folding bikes are "horses for courses."

    If you want to use it to ride 8 miles to work, fold it up and bring it
    in side with you, the Brompton has the advantage. If you want to do
    mixed mode commuting like riding to the bus stop or train station, and
    then from the bus stop or train station the rest of the way to work, the
    Brompton wins hands down.

    If you want to travel by car, train, boat or air to a destination and go
    riding as a tourist, then the Bike Friday wins. If you want a
    high-performance ride, the Bike Friday wins.

    Actually I'm wanting to do both above

    Maybe I should think abt getting BOTH a Brompton and a
    BF?

  5. Quoted message said:

    Maybe I should think abt getting BOTH a Brompton and a
    BF?

    I agree with Tim's comments about the Brompton vs. BF.
    I have a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket that's been good for traveling.
    I've also used the option of packing it in the suitcase/trailer so you
    can be fully self-contained for riding to the airport/train/bus station
    and is nice for taking bike tour that ends in a different city. I've
    found it to be a good choice for multi-day touring

    But the Brompton certainly folds more quickly and compactly for taking
    on city busses/subways/etc. and would be a better choice for commutes
    that combine a bike ride with mass transit.

    I'd suggest deciding on your primary purpose in looking for a folding
    bike and then choose an appropriate model. Later you can see if it'll
    also serve well enough for other applications or if you need another
    model as well.

  6. peter said:

    I agree with Tim's comments about the Brompton vs. BF.
    I have a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket that's been good for traveling.
    I've also used the option of packing it in the suitcase/trailer so you
    can be fully self-contained for riding to the airport/train/bus station
    and is nice for taking bike tour that ends in a different city. I've
    found it to be a good choice for multi-day touring

    OK

    Quoted message said:

    But the Brompton certainly folds more quickly and compactly for taking
    on city busses/subways/etc. and would be a better choice for commutes
    that combine a bike ride with mass transit.

    Understood

    Right now the most usage would be commuting back and
    forth to work on daily basis and having the folding
    option for those times when weather doesn't permit me
    to ride back home. In that case Id fold the bike up
    and put in trunk of co-workers car and catch a ride
    that way.

    So...... I guess numerous folds a day could be expected
    in that scenario. Sounds like the Brompton wins there
    huh?

    But... I also want to do some multi-day touring next
    summer. But that would only be say once or twice a
    year in that scenario of usage.

    Bottom line...sounds like two bikes is really the
    answer. The Brompton for daily commuting.....and maybe
    a folding or NON folding touring bike for the touring?

    I wish I could find a place in St Louis that has
    Brompton son display sop I could look at one. Anyone
    know of a place?

  7. Quoted message said:
    peter said:

    I agree with Tim's comments about the Brompton vs. BF.
    I have a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket that's been good for traveling.
    I've also used the option of packing it in the suitcase/trailer so you
    can be fully self-contained for riding to the airport/train/bus station
    and is nice for taking bike tour that ends in a different city. I've
    found it to be a good choice for multi-day touring

    OK

    Quoted message said:

    But the Brompton certainly folds more quickly and compactly for taking
    on city busses/subways/etc. and would be a better choice for commutes
    that combine a bike ride with mass transit.

    Understood

    Right now the most usage would be commuting back and
    forth to work on daily basis and having the folding
    option for those times when weather doesn't permit me
    to ride back home. In that case Id fold the bike up
    and put in trunk of co-workers car and catch a ride
    that way.

    So...... I guess numerous folds a day could be expected
    in that scenario. Sounds like the Brompton wins there
    huh?

    I'd opt for neither in that scenario. I can pop the wheels off my
    regular-sized Cannondale quicker than I can fold either a Brompton or
    BF and that way it fits easily in the trunk of my Corolla (which has a
    pretty small trunk so I'd expect it to fit in most cars).

  8. Quoted message said:
    peter said:

    I agree with Tim's comments about the Brompton vs. BF.
    I have a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket that's been good for traveling.
    I've also used the option of packing it in the suitcase/trailer so you
    can be fully self-contained for riding to the airport/train/bus station
    and is nice for taking bike tour that ends in a different city. I've
    found it to be a good choice for multi-day touring

    OK

    Quoted message said:

    But the Brompton certainly folds more quickly and compactly for taking
    on city busses/subways/etc. and would be a better choice for commutes
    that combine a bike ride with mass transit.

    Understood

    Right now the most usage would be commuting back and
    forth to work on daily basis and having the folding
    option for those times when weather doesn't permit me
    to ride back home. In that case Id fold the bike up
    and put in trunk of co-workers car and catch a ride
    that way.

    So...... I guess numerous folds a day could be expected
    in that scenario. Sounds like the Brompton wins there
    huh?

    I'd opt for neither in that scenario. I can pop the wheels off my
    regular-sized Cannondale quicker than I can fold either a Brompton or
    BF and that way it fits easily in the trunk of my Corolla (which has a
    pretty small trunk so I'd expect it to fit in most cars).

  9. Quoted message said:

    "peter" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Right now the most usage would be commuting back and
    forth to work on daily basis and having the folding
    option for those times when weather doesn't permit me
    to ride back home. In that case Id fold the bike up
    and put in trunk of co-workers car and catch a ride
    that way.

    So...... I guess numerous folds a day could be expected
    in that scenario. Sounds like the Brompton wins there
    huh?

    If you're putting the bike in a car, the BF fold isn't a big deal (but
    I would get the chain retainer -- without it, the chain falls off
    easily on unfolding). I got a BF (new world tourist) a little over a
    year ago since I occasionally had to take a public bus but I didn't
    want to compromise my general riding -- one salesperson at a local
    bike store that sold bromptons chuckled at me when I asked about
    getting cliples pedals and riding 20+ miles to a century on the
    brompton.

    Going on the bus with the BF is a little ackward, but it is
    manageable. When I throw the bike in the car, folding hardly takes any
    time. For me, the Friday was the right choice since it's now my
    primary ride (my wife and I like it so much that we're getting rid of
    our specialized sequoia comp and just ordered her a bike friday
    (pocket crusoe)).

    Mike

  10. zamansky said:

    Going on the bus with the BF is a little ackward, but it is
    manageable. When I throw the bike in the car, folding hardly takes any
    time. For me, the Friday was the right choice since it's now my
    primary ride (my wife and I like it so much that we're getting rid of
    our specialized sequoia comp and just ordered her a bike friday
    (pocket crusoe)).

    well that's was my goal as well ..... i.e. to have only
    one bike for everything

    I'm a poor starving student and cant afford several
    bikes....especially the high end bikes I like. Ha!

  11. Quoting <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get a Bike
    Friday or a Brompton.

    Brompton is optimised for fold time and package size; Bike Friday for
    riding.
    --
    OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
    e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:
    5 top/2 around,color,boulder:0,autoquiver,autodig,disclose:yiyayvygyc,pickup_bu
    rden:burdened,!cmdassist,msg_window:reversed,!sparkle,horsename:Rumiko,showrace

  12. David Damerell said:

    Brompton is optimised for fold time and package size; Bike Friday for
    riding.

    Yep

    I'm learning that.....thanks!

    I'm starting to think I need Brompton for my daily
    commute

    And a NON folding touring bike for long distance
    touring

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.