Any creative bicycle storage options for small patio?

G.T.

Guest
At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
room inside for bikes and snowboards. But we have a patio in back which is
a long skinny triangle which narrows down to 3' at one end and is 8' at the
other end. I'd like to put a big shed at the 8' end but SWRTW wants to keep
the area free for a table. So I was looking at these last night:

http://specials.osh.com/SinglePage.aspx?fsi=4815&loc=51079&ver=AP-S_SO_NT&pg=302690&ad=5291405&lmi

The High Shed, it will fit quite a few things but doesn't look too secure.

Short of designing and building my own shed does anyone have any suggestions
for something similar to the above? I can't do much to the existing
property as we are renting.

This is a shot from last night of the moon, Venus, Jupiter, and the star
Spica from the patio:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/astro/moon_venus_jupiter.jpg

Those are the tops of the 3000' Verdugos at the bottom of the photo,
fortunately I don't have to ride over them if I ride to work. But if I have
time on the way home I sure can.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not
> much room inside for bikes and snowboards. But we have a patio in
> back which is a long skinny triangle which narrows down to 3' at one
> end and is 8' at the other end. I'd like to put a big shed at the 8'
> end but SWRTW wants to keep the area free for a table. So I was
> looking at these last night:
>
> http://specials.osh.com/SinglePage.aspx?fsi=4815&loc=51079&ver=AP-S_SO_NT&pg=302690&ad=5291405&lmi
>
> The High Shed, it will fit quite a few things but doesn't look too
> secure.
>
> Short of designing and building my own shed does anyone have any
> suggestions for something similar to the above? I can't do much to
> the existing property as we are renting.
>
> This is a shot from last night of the moon, Venus, Jupiter, and the
> star Spica from the patio:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/astro/moon_venus_jupiter.jpg
>
> Those are the tops of the 3000' Verdugos at the bottom of the photo,
> fortunately I don't have to ride over them if I ride to work. But if
> I have time on the way home I sure can.

You suck and don't deserve an answer. <eg>

G.T. wrote:
> At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
> room inside for bikes and snowboards. But we have a patio in back which is
> a long skinny triangle which narrows down to 3' at one end and is 8' at the
> other end. I'd like to put a big shed at the 8' end but SWRTW wants to keep
> the area free for a table. So I was looking at these last night:
>
> http://specials.osh.com/SinglePage.aspx?fsi=4815&loc=51079&ver=AP-S_SO_NT&pg=302690&ad=5291405&lmi
>
> The High Shed, it will fit quite a few things but doesn't look too secure.

These are actually quite good. I use one in my backyard to store the
pool supplies and it houses the A/V system for the outdoor sound. The
doors are lockable with a padlock. While not the most secure thing in
the world, no storage shed really is. You could bolt some right angle
steel plates on the side and on the doors. Sort of like what they do in
airplane cockpits. That would be relatively inexpensive and secure
things enough.

Make sure you buy the sheds that are made out of recycled plastic. No
need to waste resources.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:27:08 -0700, G.T. wrote:

> At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
> room inside for bikes and snowboards.

Doing a little free association with the terms "creative bicycle storage",
all I can come up with is "up Mike V's butt."

Sorry I can't be of more help.

gabrielle

G.T. wrote:

> At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
> room inside for bikes and snowboards. But we have a patio in back which is
> a long skinny triangle which narrows down to 3' at one end and is 8' at the
> other end. I'd like to put a big shed at the 8' end but SWRTW wants to keep
> the area free for a table. So I was looking at these last night:
>
> http://specials.osh.com/SinglePage.aspx?fsi=4815&loc=51079&ver=AP-S_SO_NT&pg=302690&ad=5291405&lmi
>
> The High Shed, it will fit quite a few things but doesn't look too secure.
>
> Short of designing and building my own shed does anyone have any suggestions
> for something similar to the above? I can't do much to the existing
> property as we are renting.
>
> This is a shot from last night of the moon, Venus, Jupiter, and the star
> Spica from the patio:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/astro/moon_venus_jupiter.jpg
>
> Those are the tops of the 3000' Verdugos at the bottom of the photo,
> fortunately I don't have to ride over them if I ride to work. But if I have
> time on the way home I sure can.
>
> Greg

I don't know anything bout the shed, but tha night pic is cool. I tried
some night pix the other week, but they were way, way overexposed...
looked like daytime.

--
Slack

Per G.T.:
>for something similar to the above? I can't do much to the existing
>property as we are renting.

Maybe there's some way to wall off a slot of the 3' end without
permanently-impacting the property? If so, that plus an access door and a hook
in the ceiling would seem to be most space-saving option.
--
PeteCresswell

"Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G.T. wrote:
> >
> > This is a shot from last night of the moon, Venus, Jupiter, and the star
> > Spica from the patio:
> >
> > http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/astro/moon_venus_jupiter.jpg
> >
> > Those are the tops of the 3000' Verdugos at the bottom of the photo,
> > fortunately I don't have to ride over them if I ride to work. But if I

have
> > time on the way home I sure can.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> I don't know anything bout the shed, but tha night pic is cool. I tried
> some night pix the other week, but they were way, way overexposed...
> looked like daytime.

That shot is a composite of two. Both at ISO 400, 1/250 sec for the moon,
and 1.6 seconds for Venus, Jupiter, and Spica.

I have a couple of downtown LA, too, but haven't looked at them yet. This
winter when things are clearer downtown should look great.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hang um high.
>>

> Hmmm, that's an idea. It's got a patio roof with rafters, a couple
> of hooks and an eye bolt or two and I can lock them to the roof.
>
> Greg

Problem with that is that it makes them visible even though they are locked.
I have an 8x8 Keeter shed, assembly was easy and it fits together well but I
wouldn't trust the door locking system to safely store my bike unless you
add additional anti-theft stuff.
Throw the boards in the shed (or elsewhere.....:) and store the bikes
inside.

JMO
Gary

G.T. wrote:
> "Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>G.T. wrote:
>>
>>>This is a shot from last night of the moon, Venus, Jupiter, and the star
>>>Spica from the patio:
>>>
>>>http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/astro/moon_venus_jupiter.jpg
>>>
>>>Those are the tops of the 3000' Verdugos at the bottom of the photo,
>>>fortunately I don't have to ride over them if I ride to work. But if I

> have
>
>>>time on the way home I sure can.
>>>
>>>Greg
>>>

>>I don't know anything bout the shed, but tha night pic is cool. I tried
>>some night pix the other week, but they were way, way overexposed...
>>looked like daytime.
>>

> That shot is a composite of two. Both at ISO 400, 1/250 sec for the moon,
> and 1.6 seconds for Venus, Jupiter, and Spica.
>
> I have a couple of downtown LA, too, but haven't looked at them yet. This
> winter when things are clearer downtown should look great.
>
> Greg

I liked the photo too. It's my current desktop wallpaper.

Matt

gabrielle wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:27:08 -0700, G.T. wrote:
>
> > At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
> > room inside for bikes and snowboards.

> Doing a little free association with the terms "creative bicycle storage",
> all I can come up with is "up Mike V's butt."

I bet even the Angry Man collection of about 25 bikes would fit in that
giant ass.

After reading suggestions and a look today, I'm sure there is an easy
answer to Greg's dilemma, even leaving room for a table.

JD

G.T. wrote:
> At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
> room inside for bikes and snowboards.

****, man, when we lived in Manhattan we had six bikes (plus Jimbo's
unicycle) in the living room of a small one-bedroom apartment. It's all
a matter of your priorities.

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not much
>>room inside for bikes and snowboards.

> ****, man, when we lived in Manhattan we had six bikes (plus Jimbo's
> unicycle) in the living room of a small one-bedroom apartment. It's all
> a matter of your priorities.
>
> CC

But if one of your priorities is to maintain a meaningful relationship
with a member of the opposite sex who may not prioritize bikes like you
do, I imagine it could get tricky.

Matt

MattB wrote:

> But if one of your priorities is to maintain a meaningful relationship
> with a member of the opposite sex who may not prioritize bikes like you
> do, I imagine it could get tricky.

One of many reasons I like my wife so much.

CC

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> G.T. wrote:
> > At our new place we have no garage, little external storage, and not

much
> > room inside for bikes and snowboards.

> ****, man, when we lived in Manhattan we had six bikes (plus Jimbo's
> unicycle) in the living room of a small one-bedroom apartment. It's all
> a matter of your priorities.

Yeah, we've got the room inside and Kimberly ain't worried too much about
clean summer bikes but I know I'm lazy after rides so in the winter I'd end
up bringing a **** load of mud inside. My misplaced sense of responsibility
to my landlord is the stumbling block there plus if I got any of that mud
near our new sofa Kimberly wouldn't be so keen on the 3 bikes in the living
room (would have been four but I got rid of grandpa's beach cruiser today).

Greg

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>But if one of your priorities is to maintain a meaningful relationship
>>with a member of the opposite sex who may not prioritize bikes like you
>>do, I imagine it could get tricky.

> One of many reasons I like my wife so much.
>
> CC

I understand.

Matt