Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks

Started by * * Chas · · Last activity · 24 posts · 5,263 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 June 2007
Last activity
7 June 2007
Original author
* * Chas
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,263
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Chas.

  2. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    * * Chas said:

    Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    This is just a guess, but I think the extractor threads are
    different, a Victory crank w/o the self extractor bolts is
    useless unless you have the special Left handed thread extractor
    tool. I vaguely recall that the Triomphe is more normal and
    has right handed extractor threads on both sides.

    I am just guessing and could be completely wrong about this.
    They are pretty cranks and generally cheap, but it's for a
    reason. Between the 116 BCD and the odd threading, they can
    be very difficult to actually use.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBRmBcRWTWTAjn5N/lAQHeaAP+NGDSPcvo0s5uQG+NJZZGpeX6IwHE4ly0
    3+Ey9OBkA/nuWWPhTuP8bcqAgnMTTxPftTOptvI9Pj0sgHdS58gEIvc2Ck+eh+nn
    tH9mX3RoYOg1RrL0TkHEzJLofZwekjIVJnU8mo38zRw/9K6rOO0Gur4aGm6/Qslz
    Zv3BXlvwUBc=
    =W+Ux
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  3. Indeed, the victory cranks are a big problem. First, I think they are
    anodized (triomphe cranks are simply polished). Second, they have
    weirdo backwards left-handed (?) threads. If you lose the self
    extracting crank bolts you are in deep trouble as reverse-threaded
    (campy-made) extractors are rare. Another bad campy idea ...

    Finally, the 5 spider arms are actually different on victory and
    triomphe, although they look superficially similar. Triomphe arms
    taper almost all the way to the chainring bolts ; victory arms have
    more of a bowtie traper (they taper inwards, then taper outwards,
    roughly in equal amounts) and victory arms are much beefier.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  4. * * Chas said:

    Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    In that era, Record cranks are an oval cross section, Victory has a
    narrowish flat face and beveled sides, Triomphe similar but a broader
    face, less 'cut' on the edges.

    The extractors may be added or removed with the Record tool. Same 116mm
    rings, IIRC.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  5. * * Chas said:

    Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe. I have
    their official product brochures here:

    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  6. John Thompson said:
    * * Chas said:

    Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe. I have
    their official product brochures here:

    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are very
    attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I had
    from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are much
    more nicely finished.

  7. Donald Gillies said:

    Indeed, the victory cranks are a big problem. First, I think they are
    anodized (triomphe cranks are simply polished).

    That's not true. I had a set of Victory cranks that were simply
    polished aluminum. But, most modern cranks and other parts are
    anodized, so that should not be a deal-killer. They would certainly be
    not "hard anodized", considering their time frame.

    Second, they have

    Quoted message said:

    weirdo backwards left-handed (?) threads.

    Yeah. Save at least one of their cheesy self-extractors, else you will
    not be able to remove the crank.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig...
    You soon find out the pig likes it!

  8. Steve Gravrock said:
    John Thompson said:
    * * Chas said:

    Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe. I have
    their official product brochures here:

    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    Quoted message said:

    For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are very
    attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I had
    from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are much
    more nicely finished.

    The biggest drawback to the cranks was the completely non-standard 116mm
    BCD. This limited chainring availablity even when they were still in
    production. Plus, the left-hand thread on the Victory crank's
    self-extracting bolts could be problematic if you lost one.

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    * * Chas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks besides
    > the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    John Thompson said:

    Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe. I have
    their official product brochures here:
    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Gravrock said:

    For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are very
    attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I had
    from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are much
    more nicely finished.

    John Thompson said:

    The biggest drawback to the cranks was the completely non-standard 116mm
    BCD. This limited chainring availablity even when they were still in
    production. Plus, the left-hand thread on the Victory crank's
    self-extracting bolts could be problematic if you lost one.

    For as often as that operation's needed, a visit to your LBS for crank
    removal with Campagnolo's LH puller isn't a big deal.

    116mm rings mean you either like the gearing or you should pass on these
    cranks.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  10. "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > * * Chas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks


    besides

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    John Thompson <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe. I


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > their official product brochures here:
    > http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    > http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Gravrock said:

    For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are


    very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I had
    from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are much
    more nicely finished.

    John Thompson said:

    The biggest drawback to the cranks was the completely non-standard


    116mm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    BCD. This limited chainring availablity even when they were still in
    production. Plus, the left-hand thread on the Victory crank's
    self-extracting bolts could be problematic if you lost one.

    For as often as that operation's needed, a visit to your LBS for crank
    removal with Campagnolo's LH puller isn't a big deal.

    116mm rings mean you either like the gearing or you should pass on these
    cranks.
    --
    Andrew Muzi

    Thanks, too late...

    I picked up a rare Italian vintage frame from a local seller earlier this
    year. He offered me a deal on a vintage grupo of my choice. Last week was
    the first time we were able to get together to work out a deal on the
    components.

    He had a box full of recent Campy acquisitions. In the mix was an almost
    new Victory crankset with self extractor crank bolts. I'd never seen one
    of these cranks up close and after looking at R/NR/SR cranks and clones
    for 40+ years I figured it might look good on one of my bikes.

    52/42 is not my cup of tea. I'd seen some 116mm chainrings at several LBSs
    in the past so I figured I would be able to get smaller rings without a
    problem. So far I've drawn a blank on finding a 50T and under 40T 116mm
    chainrings.

    Chas.

  11. * * Chas said:

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> * * Chas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe cranks


    besides

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > John Thompson <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe. I


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> their official product brochures here:
    >> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    >> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Steve Gravrock <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are


    very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I had
    > from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are much
    > more nicely finished.

    Quoted message said:
    John Thompson said:

    The biggest drawback to the cranks was the completely non-standard


    116mm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    BCD. This limited chainring availablity even when they were still in
    production. Plus, the left-hand thread on the Victory crank's
    self-extracting bolts could be problematic if you lost one.

    Quoted message said:

    For as often as that operation's needed, a visit to your LBS for crank
    removal with Campagnolo's LH puller isn't a big deal.

    Quoted message said:

    116mm rings mean you either like the gearing or you should pass on these
    cranks.
    --
    Andrew Muzi

    Thanks, too late...

    I picked up a rare Italian vintage frame from a local seller earlier this
    year. He offered me a deal on a vintage grupo of my choice. Last week was
    the first time we were able to get together to work out a deal on the
    components.

    He had a box full of recent Campy acquisitions. In the mix was an almost
    new Victory crankset with self extractor crank bolts. I'd never seen one
    of these cranks up close and after looking at R/NR/SR cranks and clones
    for 40+ years I figured it might look good on one of my bikes.

    52/42 is not my cup of tea. I'd seen some 116mm chainrings at several LBSs
    in the past so I figured I would be able to get smaller rings without a
    problem. So far I've drawn a blank on finding a 50T and under 40T 116mm
    chainrings.

    I fear you are doomed, my friend.........

  12. "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    * * Chas said:

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    >>> * * Chas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>>> Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe


    cranks

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    besides

    Quoted message said:

    >>>> the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Quoted message said:

    >> John Thompson <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have

    Quoted message said:

    >>> their official product brochures here:
    >>> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    >>> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    Quoted message said:

    >Steve Gravrock <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are


    very

    Quoted message said:

    >> attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I


    had

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are


    much

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> more nicely finished.

    Quoted message said:

    John Thompson wrote:
    > The biggest drawback to the cranks was the completely non-standard


    116mm

    Quoted message said:

    > BCD. This limited chainring availablity even when they were still


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > production. Plus, the left-hand thread on the Victory crank's
    > self-extracting bolts could be problematic if you lost one.

    Quoted message said:

    For as often as that operation's needed, a visit to your LBS for


    crank

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    removal with Campagnolo's LH puller isn't a big deal.

    Quoted message said:

    116mm rings mean you either like the gearing or you should pass on


    these

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    cranks.
    --
    Andrew Muzi

    Thanks, too late...

    I picked up a rare Italian vintage frame from a local seller earlier


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    year. He offered me a deal on a vintage grupo of my choice. Last week


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the first time we were able to get together to work out a deal on the
    components.

    He had a box full of recent Campy acquisitions. In the mix was an


    almost

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    new Victory crankset with self extractor crank bolts. I'd never seen


    one

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of these cranks up close and after looking at R/NR/SR cranks and


    clones

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for 40+ years I figured it might look good on one of my bikes.

    52/42 is not my cup of tea. I'd seen some 116mm chainrings at several


    LBSs

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in the past so I figured I would be able to get smaller rings without


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    problem. So far I've drawn a blank on finding a 50T and under 40T


    116mm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    chainrings.

    I fear you are doomed, my friend.........

    Potential uses:

    1. A squirrel killing ninja Frisbee with a handle?

    2. A nice wall decoration

    3. A ruthless eBay sale...

    42T and 52T 116mm chainrings are available and that's what I have but I'm
    getting too long in the tooth to push high gears anymore.

    Chas.

  13. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    * * Chas said:

    52/42 is not my cup of tea. I'd seen some 116mm chainrings at several LBSs
    in the past so I figured I would be able to get smaller rings without a
    problem. So far I've drawn a blank on finding a 50T and under 40T 116mm
    chainrings.

    _ I think 50t is pretty unlikely. You might get lucky and find a
    36t on Ebay, there was a guy selling them fairly regularly for a
    while. I won't sell you mine...

    _ You might try these guys

    http://www.bicycleclassics.com/

    There web page claims to have some 116 BCD rings, but I was never
    successful in actually contacting them. Looks like they are all
    out of 36t...

    _ It makes a great fixed gear crank.

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/sept/BookerBense.htm

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBRmRNdGTWTAjn5N/lAQEntAQAtlOvaqmkbw0gfnwElmFCemZvB5AS+pPb
    lDbt7ugZDhDSYwJY8c5m4lIpwLOyE2oSE+sm+Vjdf26VWaoUuRVwvs3KZJhfLi/k
    eg/evwBxm2C/SAHgBqjBXxHkwDBkTddSgIr8VoipX4bMbWIm/FcGFsGkdU6s3BdZ
    Mcxh0PDrC9I=
    =ZE8u
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  14. * * Chas said:

    52/42 is not my cup of tea. I'd seen some 116mm chainrings at several LBSs
    in the past so I figured I would be able to get smaller rings without a
    problem. So far I've drawn a blank on finding a 50T and under 40T 116mm
    chainrings.

    Been there, done that. 52/42 was too high for me even when I was 19
    years old and had good knees. Fortunately, in my case the rings were
    110mm so finding a triple crank that they'd fit on was trivial.

  15. * * Chas said:

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    * * Chas said:

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >>> * * Chas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >>>> Is there any difference between Campy Victory and Triomphe


    cranks

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    besides
    > >>>> the self extracting crank bolts in some Victory cranks?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >> John Thompson <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >>> Victory has a nicer, polished and anodized finish than Triomphe.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have
    > >>> their official product brochures here:
    > >>> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
    > >>> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >Steve Gravrock <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >> For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are
    very
    > >> attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I


    had

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >> from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are


    much

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >> more nicely finished.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    > > The biggest drawback to the cranks was the completely non-standard
    116mm
    > > BCD. This limited chainring availablity even when they were still


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > production. Plus, the left-hand thread on the Victory crank's
    > > self-extracting bolts could be problematic if you lost one.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > For as often as that operation's needed, a visit to your LBS for


    crank

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > removal with Campagnolo's LH puller isn't a big deal.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > 116mm rings mean you either like the gearing or you should pass on


    these

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > cranks.
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, too late...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I picked up a rare Italian vintage frame from a local seller earlier


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    year. He offered me a deal on a vintage grupo of my choice. Last week


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the first time we were able to get together to work out a deal on the
    components.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    He had a box full of recent Campy acquisitions. In the mix was an


    almost

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    new Victory crankset with self extractor crank bolts. I'd never seen


    one

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of these cranks up close and after looking at R/NR/SR cranks and


    clones

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for 40+ years I figured it might look good on one of my bikes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    52/42 is not my cup of tea. I'd seen some 116mm chainrings at several


    LBSs

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in the past so I figured I would be able to get smaller rings without


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    problem. So far I've drawn a blank on finding a 50T and under 40T


    116mm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    chainrings.

    Quoted message said:

    I fear you are doomed, my friend.........

    Potential uses:

    1. A squirrel killing ninja Frisbee with a handle?

    2. A nice wall decoration

    3. A ruthless eBay sale...

    42T and 52T 116mm chainrings are available and that's what I have but I'm
    getting too long in the tooth to push high gears anymore.

    How 'bout one of those Shimano 7sp 13-34 MegaRange FWs? 🙂

  16. Steve Gravrock said:

    For all their faults detailed elsewhere in this thread, those are very
    attractive cranks. They look almost exactly like some SR cranks I had
    from about that same period, except that the Campag cranks are much
    more nicely finished.

    Actually, Campy got really weird about non-NR/SR stuff in the early
    1980's.

    - there is a 144 bcd gransport crank that looks like nuovo record
    - there is a 144 bcd victory crank that looks like nuovo record
    both of the above cranks are identical in shape/size.

    - there is a gransport crank with 3 arms - first steel, then alloy.
    - there is a geometric victory crank that's 116 bcd with 5 arms.
    which is very close in size/shape to triomphe and uses similar rings.

    We were talking (I think) about the geometric victory crank, that was
    roundly hated by just about everyone for its lousy aesthetics. I
    think you are talking about the rare 144 bcd victory 5-arm
    nuovo-record type of cranks.

  17. I have seen the following victory/triomphe chainrings on the internet
    :

    52T, 53T

    42T, 35T, 36T

    As far as I know, no other sizes were made. wwcyclery on ebay, and
    www.bicycleclassics.com, and www.loosescrews.com are some places you
    might look for chainrings.

    One good thing is that you can triplize these cranks with 15mm
    chainring bolts that are available today.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  18. Donald Gillies said:

    I have seen the following victory/triomphe chainrings on the internet
    :

    52T, 53T

    42T, 35T, 36T

    As far as I know, no other sizes were made.

    A quibble, but I used to have a 50/35 Victory crankset, and those were
    original Campy chainrings.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
    conclusion.
    -- George Bernard Shaw

  19. David L. Johnson said:
    Donald Gillies said:

    I have seen the following victory/triomphe chainrings on the internet
    :

    52T, 53T

    42T, 35T, 36T

    As far as I know, no other sizes were made.

    A quibble, but I used to have a 50/35 Victory crankset, and those were
    original Campy chainrings.

    There's a guy on Ebay selling 28/38/50 Victory triples, which appear to
    be factory new. (No, it's not me). Item #320080653205

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Victory-triple-crankset-175mm-28-38-50t_W0QQitemZ320080653205QQihZ011QQcategoryZ56195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    (Sorry, too lazy to learn how to use those shortlink services)

    Mark J.

  20. "Donald Gillies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have seen the following victory/triomphe chainrings on the internet
    :

    52T, 53T

    42T, 35T, 36T

    As far as I know, no other sizes were made. wwcyclery on ebay, and
    www.bicycleclassics.com, and www.loosescrews.com are some places you
    might look for chainrings.

    One good thing is that you can triplize these cranks with 15mm
    chainring bolts that are available today.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Thanks for the feedback.

    The Campy Victory & Triomphe catalog supplements from that time list
    chainrings in the following sizes:

    35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 50, 51, 52, & 53 teeth.

    Campy also made a true triple Victory crankset that used a 28T chainring
    that attached to bosses behind the spiders.

    Chas.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.