Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

any downside to Wippermann Connex link?

Started by Bob Ross · · Last activity · 16 posts · 924 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 May 2008
Last activity
19 May 2008
Original author
Bob Ross
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
924
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

  2. Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I swore off the Wipperman ones after one broke as I was taking off
    from a 4-way stop last year. I was barely moving, but I went down
    pretty hard. Since then, I've stuck with KMC and SRAM quick links,
    more out of superstition than any empirical quality concerns.

    Like you say, it's not a common occurrence, but once is really all it
    takes.

  3. Hank said:
    Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent
    quick- disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain &
    drivetrain easier. Is there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links
    coming undone at the starting line of a race (!) but as far
    as I can determine that's not a common enough occurence for
    me to worry about. I'm more concerned with whether they
    affect longevity/durability of the chain or cogs, or if they
    affect shifting, or... well, anything that might be viewed as
    a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I swore off the Wipperman ones after one broke as I was taking
    off from a 4-way stop last year. I was barely moving, but I
    went down pretty hard. Since then, I've stuck with KMC and
    SRAM quick links, more out of superstition than any empirical
    quality concerns.

    Like you say, it's not a common occurrence, but once is really
    all it takes.

    Seconded. There are 6 cyclists in this family, and I use
    various width SRAM Powerlinks (black, silver or gold, depending
    on the chain width) without any problems whatsoever.

    I've used Wipperman conneX links only twice, and a side plate
    failed on one of those, breaking the chain.

    John

  4. Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
    SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
    2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
    are in full crankcases, so there is no dirt to set up a grinding
    action. I use White Lightning dry wax lube, so it is easy to see in
    the bottom of the crankcase where the little balls of wax collect what
    it is that they surround -- and on these bikes is mostly oil that
    didn't all quite get cleaned off the the chain before I applied the
    wax, not dirt. I gave both those bikes their six-monthly service a
    while ago and inspected the SRAM links somewhat cursorily without
    disassembling the chains; they were obviously fine, not thinned out
    anywhere. For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
    and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
    those have always seen the chain out.

    After the comments here perhaps I won't even try the Wipperman quick-
    link, and instead use the proven SRAM quick-link on the Wipperman
    chain. Or it may be that it is a chain hygiene matter, that a properly
    clean and lubricated Connex link will last as well as the SRAM one.
    How well did you fellows with the Connex breakages look after your
    chains?

    I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

    HTH.

    Andre Jute
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

  5. Andre Jute said:
    Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?


    Quoted message said:


    I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
    SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
    2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
    are in full crankcases...

    Quoted message said:

    ... For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
    and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
    those have always seen the chain out.

    Quoted message said:


    I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

    Does that have a derailer inside?

  6. Andre Jute said:
    Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
    SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
    2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
    are in full crankcases, so there is no dirt to set up a grinding
    action. I use White Lightning dry wax lube, so it is easy to see in
    the bottom of the crankcase where the little balls of wax collect what
    it is that they surround -- and on these bikes is mostly oil that
    didn't all quite get cleaned off the the chain before I applied the
    wax, not dirt. I gave both those bikes their six-monthly service a
    while ago and inspected the SRAM links somewhat cursorily without
    disassembling the chains; they were obviously fine, not thinned out
    anywhere. For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
    and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
    those have always seen the chain out.

    After the comments here perhaps I won't even try the Wipperman quick-
    link, and instead use the proven SRAM quick-link on the Wipperman
    chain. Or it may be that it is a chain hygiene matter, that a properly
    clean and lubricated Connex link will last as well as the SRAM one.
    How well did you fellows with the Connex breakages look after your
    chains?

    I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

    HTH.

    Andre Jute
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

    Wipperman Connex links are fine. Never had any problems with them and
    I'm using them for almost 10 years on my road bikes. They are easier to
    open then the SRAM links and are better made IMO. Only downside? They
    are more expensive when you buy them separately.

    Lou

  7. Dan O said:
    Andre Jute said:

    On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
    SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
    2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
    are in full crankcases...
    ... For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
    and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
    those have always seen the chain out.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

    Does that have a derailer inside?

    No. These are singlespeed/8speed chains. The gearboxes are Shimano's
    Nexus 8 speed hub gears, zero deraileurs, just a control cable,
    mechanical in one case, electronic in the other. There are a lot of
    pics of one of the electronically controlled bikes here:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20Trek%20Navigator%20L700%20Smover.html
    and a pic of the mechanically controlled bike here:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20Bauhaus.html
    Enjoy!

    I wish now I'd taken a photo of the little balls of wax inside the
    crankcase at the end of six months of winter riding, which show either
    that White Lightning dry wax is bleeding marvellous or that we should
    immediately petition the President to make full chain cases compulsory
    for all bikes (to save rising water, high quality oil and energy).

    Andre Jute
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20HUMOUR.html

  8. Andre Jute said:

    How well did you fellows with the Connex breakages look after your
    chains?

    In my case, the bike was only 2 months old, and had 300-400 miles on
    it. I didn't have fenders on it at the time, so I'm pretty sure it had
    never been ridden in the rain (I had my fendered touring bike for rain
    days). I was in a 34-17 gear, starting from a dead stop, IIRC.

  9. Lou Holtman said:


    Wipperman Connex links are fine. Never had any problems with them and
    I'm using them for almost 10 years on my road bikes. They are easier to
    open then the SRAM links and are better made IMO. Only downside? They
    are more expensive when you buy them separately.

    Lou

    I've just thrown away a Connex link as the pin wasn't riveted square
    with the outer plate. If used I can imagine it would have been the weak
    link. Other than that my experiences with them are fine. They don't open
    as easily as SRAM links when flopping about in a carboot (only of a
    concern if you clean your chain 😉). Look for the shifting chamfer on
    the linkplates to install them the right way up
    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  10. M-gineering said:
    Lou Holtman said:


    Wipperman Connex links are fine. Never had any problems with them and
    I'm using them for almost 10 years on my road bikes. They are easier
    to open then the SRAM links and are better made IMO. Only downside?
    They are more expensive when you buy them separately.

    Lou

    I've just thrown away a Connex link as the pin wasn't riveted square
    with the outer plate. If used I can imagine it would have been the weak
    link. Other than that my experiences with them are fine. They don't open
    as easily as SRAM links when flopping about in a carboot (only of a
    concern if you clean your chain 😉). Look for the shifting chamfer on
    the linkplates to install them the right way up

    My experience with the SRAM goldlinks lately are that I have to fiddle
    with them for 15 minutes before installing to remove the sharp edges of
    the slots, which makes opening a big PIA.

    Lou

  11. Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    Not in my opinion. We have sold hundreds with no problems whatsoever.
    We use the 6mm one on just about every 10s chain we sell(Campagnolo
    and shimano),

  12. Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
    adjacent links.

    I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
    Never had one break.

    I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
    starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
    point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
    SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
    wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
    chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
    chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
    back to the .75 wear limit.

    Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
    spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
    wear.

    Tom Young

  13. On Fri, 16 May 2008 06:56:47 -0700 (PDT), Bob Ross <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    Nobody has mentioned that the Connex is asymmetrical, while all of the
    other links are symmetrical. The difference: the Connex will skip on
    an 11 tooth cog if installed "upside down." For an impatient dyslexic
    like myself, that's enough for me not to bother with it when the
    others don't have this defect, are at least equally good and better if
    the failure anecdotes in this thread are true, and cheaper. I use IRD
    snaplink for 10 speed.

  14. Not a racer, myself...but I have commuted over 5000 miles without a
    problem using a Connex links using wipperman and Record chains

    TomYoung said:
    Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
    adjacent links.

    I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
    Never had one break.

    I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
    starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
    point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
    SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
    wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
    chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
    chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
    back to the .75 wear limit.

    Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
    spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
    wear.

    Tom Young

  15. I use the connex link on all our bikes including our tandem. No
    problems since I began using them about 12,000 miles ago.

    Wayne

  16. TomYoung said:
    Bob Ross said:

    I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
    disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
    there any downside to these gizmos?

    I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
    at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
    that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
    concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
    or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
    be viewed as a negative.

    Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

    I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
    adjacent links.

    I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
    Never had one break.

    I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
    starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
    point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
    SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
    wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
    chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
    chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
    back to the .75 wear limit.

    Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
    spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
    wear.

    Tom Young

    I noticed that the 10 speed superlinks I received approx 2 years ago
    seemed to have pins that were a little undersized. I reckon if you put
    your chain wear tool across a new quick-link on a new chain you would
    see some apparent wear. I haven't measured the pin diameters with a
    micrometer, but my impression is that the pins on the Wipperman Connex
    links are a closer fit in the inner links and therefore would show less
    apparent wear when new and also probably cause a little less wear to
    chainrings & sprockets.

    Martin

    --
    Removed z before replying by email.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.