General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Any Experience with Dog Attacks?

Started by Elfhunter · · Last activity · 36 posts · 1,412 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 November 2003
Last activity
3 November 2003
Original author
Elfhunter
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,412
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dave Andersen said:

    I hope the take-home message you got from this is that wearing headphones while running is a really
    awful idea. Unfortunately, it's an even worse idea for a woman, for exactly the reason you
    mentioned as your initial reaction.

    Probably not Dave, the "I run with headphones" crowd is pretty stupid.

  2. Actually, I don't hate them. I don't mind dogs, but at that very moment when one has his teeth in
    my butt (and for a while thereafter), it's hard to love any dog. My back was to the dog because
    we were on the same road and we met each other. As we passed each other, the dog turned and sunk
    his teeth in.

    Brian Jones "The Frazzzzzzzzz!" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Brian Jones said:

    Maybe so, but two years ago, when I was out for a leisurely morning run,


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dog, walking with its master, without a leash, must really have wanted to play with me. He bit me
    in the backside and left three puncture wounds. Fortunately, the owner was a guy I know, and he
    assured me the dog had


    had

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    all his shots.


    What the hell were you doing with your back to the dog? Only a complete moron would run from a
    dog, wether it's play or not. If you run they will chase, it's their instinct.

    Frasier <who hates those smelly flea-bags too

  3. [email hidden] (dieshooter) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    A sad example of what can happen with free roaming dogs ... this actually happened to me
    LAST NIGHT.

    Out for my evening run, a smallish dog, about 30 pounds, came charging across the street barking
    at me .. dog looked like a puppy. He came at me from behind, so I stopped, faced him and tried to
    address him in a calm manner .. the dog stopped and ran away, barking .. when I turned to run, he
    came racing back at me, charging me again from behind .. clearly not playing, very aggressive, but
    when I turned to face him, he again turned and ran ... on the third time as I tried to run off
    (he'd been chasing me for about a block by now) he came at me again, and I turned and stomped my
    foot to scare him off. He turned around and bolted into the road, where he was hit by a car and
    killed. Right in front of me.

    It was extremly sad. And on my birthday. Damn.


    Why should you be sad? Its owner clearly cared about it less than you do.

    Quoted message said:

    It wasn't my fault, nor was it the driver's, it was the fault of the clod who wouldn't keep his
    puppy in his yard. It was the dog, sadly that suffered the consequences.

    I really like dogs, and I like people who own dogs. But please, please keep them in a fenced yard,
    or on a leash ... only bad things can happen when you live in an urban area and let your dog run
    free, either a person gets bitten or the dog gets hurt.

    sad.

  4. (shinypenny) said:

    Actually, since this experience happened early on during my first year of running, my take-home
    message was that I had *finally* established a habit. I didn't let the snow, my fear of dogs, and
    skinned knees stop me from going out again the very next day.

    As for the headphones, I know you're right, but I love running to music so it's unlikely I'll
    ever stop.

    <shrug>

    Dumbass.

    Quoted message said:

    If I let my fear of getting bit by a dog, tackled by a rapist, run over by a car, or slipping on
    the snow take over, I'd never get my butt out the door!!

    If it's that big, you probably should loose weight before you take up jogging.

  5. Brian Jones said:

    Actually, I don't hate them. I don't mind dogs, but at that very moment when one has his teeth in
    my butt (and for a while thereafter), it's hard to love any dog. My back was to the dog because we
    were on the same road and we met each other. As we passed each other, the dog turned and sunk his
    teeth in.


    Not very observant, are you?

  6. One thing that works well if a dog is running up on you over a distance is to ignore the dog for a
    while until it gets fairly close--your judgment--then turn around and run toward the dog, jumping
    and yelling your head off. Dogs--like people--are wary of completely unpredictable and apparently
    mental individuals.

    I've only done this a few times, but the dog has always turned and ran. But now I carry pepper spray
    when I run. Although some people have suggested maybe I don't need to worry about dog attacks now
    that I do most of my running on treadmills.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

    - Homer J. Simpson

  7. Harold Buck said:

    One thing that works well if a dog is running up on you over a distance is to ignore the dog for a
    while until it gets fairly close--your judgment--then turn around and run toward the dog, jumping
    and yelling your head off.

    You're right, that works very well. But you can enhance the result if you teach yourself to bark
    like a dog. This causes them to depart more quickly. I once chased a dog right back into his own
    yard. It was fun watching the dog's owner as she saw me come around the corner - a rather large man
    galloping straight toward her and woofing like crazy.

    Zeb

  8. [email hidden] (Ed prochak) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Paul Kanterman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I love dogs, but have no patience for people that cannot control their animals. It is called
    obedience school. Read about it.

    As one obedience school instructor I had pointed out that no amount of training can guarantee a
    dog might not sometime disobey.

    The thing that bothers me this that the owners of dogs which are chasing after you always seem to
    shout that the dogs are such good natured that there is no way they will attack you. Well, it may be
    that they won't attack the people who feed them daily. Also, why in the world do they think that it
    is okay for them to make me part of the tests for the veracity of their claims? Incidentally, when I
    was 10 years old, I was actually bitten by a dog while I was riding my bike. I never got even an
    apology. Those [censored] claimed that I was teasing the dog. I was riding on a public road and the
    dog didn't even chase me. It jumped me.

  9. "ElfHunter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Yunno Elf, I thought you were a whiney little [censored] until about 2:30 this afternoon. After nine
    years without being hassled by dogs, one got me again.

    <wild cheering occurs throughout the whole of Yankeeland>

    I've cleaned my wounds (sorry, they're not too serious), binned my torn running tights, visited my
    local police station and made my complaint (yup, I know who the owner was and where he lives), and
    I'm just off to get another tetanus 'cause I can't remember when I had one last.

    All dog owners should be subjected to whatever they permit their dogs to do to others. I'd happily
    watch a police dog practice on the unprotected body of the idiot who owned 'my' dog.

    Personally, I blame this thread for subliminally reaching out into the brains of dogs in the UK and
    planting the idea to attack me. I shall have my revenge.

    Roger.

  10. On 1 Nov 2003 11:18:09 -0800, [email hidden] (ElfHunter) wrote:

    Dear punkass [censored],

    Quoted message said:

    The thing that bothers me this that the owners of dogs which are chasing after you always seem to
    shout that the dogs are such good natured that there is no way they will attack you.

    Look idiot, they are trying to put you at ease, as the dog is ripping your throat out.

    Quoted message said:

    Well, it may be that they won't attack the people who feed them daily. Also, why in the world do
    they think that it is okay for them to make me part of the tests for the veracity of their claims?

    What test? You now have the dog and master in some grand scheme to use you as a guinea pig? What
    are a nutjob?

    Quoted message said:

    Incidentally, when I was 10 years old, I was actually bitten by a dog while I was riding my bike.

    I'll bet you deserved it oo, didn't you?

    Quoted message said:

    I never got even an apology. Those [censored] claimed that I was teasing the dog.

    See! i knew it was your fault.

    Quoted message said:

    was riding on a public road and the dog didn't even chase me. It jumped me.

    Strictly a self defense response, I'm sure.

  11. apusapus said:

    "ElfHunter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Yunno Elf, I thought you were a whiney little [censored] until about 2:30 this afternoon. After nine
    years without being hassled by dogs, one got me again.

    <wild cheering occurs throughout the whole of Yankeeland>

    I've cleaned my wounds (sorry, they're not too serious),

    Bummer! Penis wound then?

    Quoted message said:

    inned my torn running tights, visited my local police station and made my complaint (yup, I know
    who the owner was and where he lives),

    And he you, thanks to my efforts.

    Quoted message said:

    nd I'm just off to get another tetanus 'cause I can't remember when I had one last.

    I hope they got the dog one, if he survived the inintial shock of sinking his teeth into a giant bag
    of fart-wind.

    Quoted message said:

    All dog owners should be subjected to whatever they permit their dogs to do to others.

    They get their legs humped too.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd happily watch a police dog practice on the unprotected body of the idiot who owned 'my' dog.

    Personally, I blame this thread for subliminally reaching out into the brains of dogs in the UK and
    planting the idea to attack me. I shall have my revenge.

    Actually it's far mose sinister than that Frasier my good man, you see we took up a collection and
    paid old Angus MacFarland to have his dog attack you, however since we specified you be "ripped to
    pieces" it would appear the attempt failed.

  12. "apusapus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "ElfHunter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Yunno Elf, I thought you were a whiney little [censored] until about 2:30 this afternoon. After nine
    years without being hassled by dogs, one got me again.


    Actually, I was not whining. I was venting. There is a difference. It was not self-pity that made me
    post the original article, but anger. Realistically, venting was the only thing that I can do about
    the incidence.

    Quoted message said:

    <wild cheering occurs throughout the whole of Yankeeland>

    I've cleaned my wounds (sorry, they're not too serious), binned my torn running tights, visited my
    local police station and made my complaint (yup, I know who the owner was and where he lives), and
    I'm just off to get another tetanus 'cause I can't remember when I had one last.


    I feel sorry for the doctor if he has to see your old man's ass.

    Quoted message said:

    All dog owners should be subjected to whatever they permit their dogs to do to others. I'd happily
    watch a police dog practice on the unprotected body of the idiot who owned 'my' dog.

    Personally, I blame this thread for subliminally reaching out into the brains of dogs in the UK
    and planting the idea to attack me. I shall have my revenge.


    Maybe you just wanted the attention, and the dogs of UK gladly obliged. OK, I was joking. Hope you
    don't miss any of your running because of your injury. Get better soon.

    Quoted message said:


    Roger.

  13. Luckily, no rabies in the UK.

    "apusapus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "ElfHunter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Yunno Elf, I thought you were a whiney little [censored] until about 2:30 this afternoon. After nine
    years without being hassled by dogs, one got me again.

    <wild cheering occurs throughout the whole of Yankeeland>

    I've cleaned my wounds (sorry, they're not too serious), binned my torn running tights, visited my
    local police station and made my complaint


    (yup,

    Quoted message said:

    I know who the owner was and where he lives), and I'm just off to get another tetanus 'cause I
    can't remember when I had one last.

    All dog owners should be subjected to whatever they permit their dogs to


    do

    Quoted message said:

    to others. I'd happily watch a police dog practice on the unprotected


    body

    Quoted message said:

    of the idiot who owned 'my' dog.

    Personally, I blame this thread for subliminally reaching out into the brains of dogs in the UK
    and planting the idea to attack me. I shall


    have

    Quoted message said:

    my revenge.

    Roger.

  14. "apusapus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "ElfHunter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Yunno Elf, I thought you were a whiney little [censored] until about 2:30 this afternoon.

    Seeing yourself in everyone else.

    Quoted message said:

    <wild cheering occurs throughout the whole of Yankeeland>

    I hope the dog was vaccinated. Lord knows what sort of warts it could get from you.

    Quoted message said:

    All dog owners should be subjected to whatever they permit their dogs to do to others.

    Yet when you are subjected to same sort of behavior you inflict on others you cry like a little
    baby. Ah woger is mad. Poor poor woger.

  15. Frank Tantillo said:

    Luckily, no rabies in the UK.

    You've got Frasier Edwards on your continent (allegedly) and you claim you have no rabies? HA!

  16. [email hidden] (ElfHunter) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I jog on the streets and some cretins around here walk their dogs without their leashes. Today I
    jogged past 2 idiots with 3 unleashed dogs. Even though I tried to veer away from them, the dogs
    started to move into position as if they were trying to encircle me. Nothing happened this time,
    but it is a matter of time before some dog takes a chunk out of me. What are my legal rights if
    that happens? Any suggestions?

    Oh, to you dog lovers out there, I have the right not to be bitten. Furthermore I have the right
    not to be fearful about getting bitten. To you, your dogs are like your children. To me, they are
    animals capable of hurting me badly. Damn I hate these inbreds who don't leash their dogs.

    Carry mace and unload the whole cannister on the attacking dog while doing your best Tony Montana
    imitation.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.