Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

any glueless patches that work?

Started by dan baker · · Last activity · 14 posts · 579 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
dan baker
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
579
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    d

  2. On 24 May 2004 09:19:38 -0700, [email hidden] (dan baker) may have

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    Same experience here.

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Someone reported good results if the tube is cleaned with an alcohol
    cleaning cloth first. It didn't work for me.

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    Not me, so far. In fact, I had better results with a piece of carpet
    repair tape than with the self-stick patches; long story, a case of
    "use what's at hand or carry the bike home".

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. dan baker said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    In a word: no.

    One of myLBS won't sell them unless you ask specifically. My personal
    experience is that even when you get a good bond, the patch material
    fails after extended use. I don't have a quantification of extended use;
    maybe it's many hundreds of miles, maybe it's a few months. I learned my
    lesson before I was able to determine the exact cause of failure.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  4. dvt said:
    dan baker said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    In a word: no.

    One of myLBS won't sell them unless you ask specifically. My personal
    experience is that even when you get a good bond, the patch material
    fails after extended use. I don't have a quantification of extended
    use; maybe it's many hundreds of miles, maybe it's a few months. I
    learned my lesson before I was able to determine the exact cause of
    failure.

    This has been my experience too. They work fine in the short term, but always
    fail eventually. Sometimes it takes months, but eventually you'll wind up with
    a slow leak. This is a real pain when you have several patches on one tube,
    with more than one leaking or about to leak. Finally, replacing glueless
    patches with real ones is a pain, because it's hard to get the adhesive off the
    tube. I've had my run with glueless patches, and gone back to regular ones. At
    least when I can...

    The biggest problem with glued patches is that the glue tends to harden once the
    tube is opened. Nothing's worse than being stuck on the road with a useless,
    dried out tube of glue. So I still carry a few glueless patches.

    Matt O.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....
    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?
    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    Think of them as temporary get you home patches. I've used them and never
    had one fail is as little time as your's have. I followed the directions
    on the package, Park brand, and scuffed up the area before applying. My
    patches were lasting right around a year before they failled. I use them
    as a backup to the extra tube I carry. That way if I get more than one flat
    on a ride I have a way to get home.
    ---------------
    Alex

  6. Quoted message said:
    dan baker said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    The glueless patches just don't stand up well under the higher psi pressure
    of road tires. They work much more reliably on my mountain bikes, however.

    Julian

  7. Quoted message said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    Contrary to other posters here, I've had great success with the Trek
    pre-glued patches, which I believe are the same ones sold under the "Scabs"
    label, and possibly others as well. I've found them permanent, providing
    they stay in the tire (and it's kept inflated). The only time I've had an
    issue with them is when I had one on a spare tube.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    "dan baker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    d

  8. dan baker said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    Glueless (or, as we call them, clueless) patches are a temporary measure
    to get you home, not a permanent patch. Once home, patch the tube with a
    real, glued, patch.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
    _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
    (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
    nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  9. I would have to agree w/ the minority. I rarely have problems w/ park
    glueless patches. I do clean the tire w/ an alcohol wipe prior to glueing to
    assure a clean stick.
    andy
    "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    dan baker said:

    I've tried a couple brands of glueless patches: park and performance.
    They seem to work ok for a little bit, but always seem to end up with
    a slow leak about a week later....

    I've tried applying with and without "roughing" with sandpaper and it
    doesn't seem to matter. Is there some other secret to geting them to
    really bond well?

    Has anyone used any that create a really good patch?

    Glueless (or, as we call them, clueless) patches are a temporary measure
    to get you home, not a permanent patch. Once home, patch the tube with a
    real, glued, patch.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
    _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
    (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
    nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  10. On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:38:46 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The biggest problem with glued patches is that the glue tends to harden once the
    tube is opened. Nothing's worse than being stuck on the road with a useless,
    dried out tube of glue. So I still carry a few glueless patches.

    Carry only unopened tubes of glue. A 97 cent Bell patch kit at Wal
    Mart, even if you don't like the patches, includes the standard
    little tube of perfectly good glue; and for home use, use the tubes
    you've opened on the road before, or a jar of appropriate
    glue/Elmer's Rubber Cement/contact cement (currently under
    discussion in rec.bicycles.misc, and discussed in the past also).
    --
    Rick Onanian

  11. Rick Onanian said:

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:38:46 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The biggest problem with glued patches is that the glue tends to harden once the
    tube is opened. Nothing's worse than being stuck on the road with a useless,
    dried out tube of glue. So I still carry a few glueless patches.

    Carry only unopened tubes of glue. A 97 cent Bell patch kit at Wal
    Mart, even if you don't like the patches, includes the standard
    little tube of perfectly good glue; and for home use, use the tubes
    you've opened on the road before, or a jar of appropriate
    glue/Elmer's Rubber Cement/contact cement (currently under
    discussion in rec.bicycles.misc, and discussed in the past also).

    I almost always run out of patches before using the whole tube of glue.
    I put the remaining glue in the next patch kit and keep using it with
    the new, unopened, glue as an emergency spare. BTW, before I cap the
    glue tube I spread a bit of glue around the threads to make the cap seal
    better.

  12. On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:57:44 -0700, Peter <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, before I cap the
    glue tube I spread a bit of glue around the threads to make the cap seal
    better.

    I like that idea so much, I figured I'd quote it just to bring some
    emphasis to it.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  13. On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:38:46 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The biggest problem with glued patches is that the glue tends to harden once the
    tube is opened. Nothing's worse than being stuck on the road with a useless,
    dried out tube of glue.

    I've had that problem, too: two flats, dried out glue.

    Since then I've operated on the theory that the air in the tube of
    glue is what dries it out once it's been opened. So now after
    patching, I squeeze the tube to remove the air, then screw the cap
    back on. So far (ten years) it's worked.

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The biggest problem with glued patches is that the glue tends to harden once the
    tube is opened.

    Hmm... I don't have that problem...I think that the biggest problem is that
    the tubes are so flimsy that they get a pinhole and then the glue dries. I
    know I've had tubes dry up that I've never-opened. I read here that that's
    what is happening and that explanation jives with my experience.

    Quoted message said:

    Carry only unopened tubes of glue.

    I say you have to open up your patch kit once every so often and verify
    by weight that there is still glue in there. As long as you do so, you
    can carry partially used tubes.

    dkl

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.