I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today with
a 7.5cm bb drop.
Thanks.
Jack
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today with
a 7.5cm bb drop.
Thanks.
Jack
Jack said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.
The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0
(And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a road bike)
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Jack said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.
The Lemond Poprad is 7.4 cm. It's a cyclocross bike, but you can throw some road tires on it.
Quoted message said:Jack said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.
Andrew Lee said:The Lemond Poprad is 7.4 cm. It's a cyclocross bike, but you can throw some road tires on it.
That's odd. Cross bikes are normally _higher_.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Are you sure? According to the Bianchi web site,
the San Remo has a 6.5cm bb drop:
gianni.bianchiusa.com05 san remo.htmlOpen ↗
Jack
"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Jack said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0
(And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a road bike)
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Originally posted by Jack:
Quoted message said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-
custom, road bikes made today with
a 7.5cm bb drop.
I'm curious...why is this particular measurement important to you, in isolation from all the other dimensions of the frame?
JLS
Jack said:
I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today with
a 7.5cm bb drop.
Off of the to of my head, Rivendell and Heron. The Heron Road/Rally frame as a 75 mm drop. Our
Touring/Wayfarer has a 80 mm drop.
Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
heronbicycles.comheronbicycles.comOpen ↗ tullios.comtullios.comOpen ↗
jlscott3 said:I'm curious...why is this particular measurement important to you, in isolation from all the other
dimensions of the frame?
A lower BB (especially combined with a taller head tube and/or fork) rotates the rider to a bit more
upright position. This can be of value to those looking for comfort.
Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
heronbicycles.comheronbicycles.comOpen ↗ tullios.comtullios.comOpen ↗
My current bike has a high bb as road bikes go, 6.5cm. I've been doing some reading on the Rivendell
site about low bb's, and I see that Serotta has gone to 8cm drop like Rivendell. So I want to try a
bike with a lower bb than I currently have, but not super low like 8cm. Just to see how it feels.
Jack
"jlscott3" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Originally posted by Jack:
Quoted message said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non- custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.I'm curious...why is this particular measurement important to you, in isolation from all the other
dimensions of the frame?JLS
--
jlscott3 said:Originally posted by Jack:
Quoted message said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non- custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.I'm curious...why is this particular measurement important to you, in isolation from all the other
dimensions of the frame?
5mm is hardly this much:
|---|
Matt O.
Quoted message said:Jack said:Quoted message said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.
Quoted message said:"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0
(And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a road bike)
Jack wrote: Are you sure? According to the Bianchi web site, the San Remo has a 6.5cm bb drop:
gianni.bianchiusa.com05 san remo.htmlOpen ↗
Silly me. I measured a 58sm bike instead of looking it up.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
"Jack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.
The Kogswell derailer framesets have a 7.2cm drop.
Silly me, for believing published geometry charts.
Jack
"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Jack said:>I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
>with a 7.5cm bb drop.Quoted message said:"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0
(And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a road bike)
Jack wrote: Are you sure? According to the Bianchi web site, the San Remo has a 6.5cm bb drop:
gianni.bianchiusa.com05 san remo.htmlOpen ↗Silly me. I measured a 58sm bike instead of looking it up.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Jack wrote:
>>I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made today
>>with a 7.5cm bb drop.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
>The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0 (And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a
>road bike)
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Jack wrote: Are you sure? According to the Bianchi web site, the San Remo has a 6.5cm bb drop:
gianni.bianchiusa.com05 san remo.htmlOpen ↗
Quoted message said:"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Silly me. I measured a 58sm bike instead of looking it up.
Jack said:Silly me, for believing published geometry charts.
While we are affably discussing split hairs here, did I miss your reply to "Why?"
7.5 (or 7.0 or 8.0) is the realm of touring bikes but I can't say I could feel a 5mm difference. Did
you have something in mind with that dimension?
My tape measure says , typically: Waterford's Sport geometry is 6.5 Bianchi's pedal-in-corners econo
pista is 5.0 Bianchi Volpe (touring) 7.7 Redline cyclo cross 5.8
It's nice to be high when necessary but it's nice to be low when needed, too. What kind of bike are
you concerned about?
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
I guess I have been doing too much reading on the Rivendell website. They like low bb's. And I am
interested in feeling the difference in the ride.
Jack
"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>Jack wrote:
>>>I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non-custom, road bikes made
>>>today with a 7.5cm bb drop.Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
>>The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0 (And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a
>>road bike)Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>Jack wrote: Are you sure? According to the Bianchi web site, the San Remo has a 6.5cm bb drop:
>gianni.bianchiusa.com05 san remo.htmlOpen ↗Quoted message said:"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Silly me. I measured a 58sm bike instead of looking it up.
Jack said:Silly me, for believing published geometry charts.
While we are affably discussing split hairs here, did I miss your reply to "Why?"
7.5 (or 7.0 or 8.0) is the realm of touring bikes but I can't say I could feel a 5mm difference.
Did you have something in mind with that dimension?My tape measure says , typically: Waterford's Sport geometry is 6.5 Bianchi's pedal-in-corners
econo pista is 5.0 Bianchi Volpe (touring) 7.7 Redline cyclo cross 5.8It's nice to be high when necessary but it's nice to be low when needed, too. What kind of bike
are you concerned about?--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Originally posted by Jack
Quoted message said:I guess I have been doing too much reading on the Rivendell
website. They like low bb's. And I am
interested in feeling the difference in the ride.
My point in asking "why" was that it would be impossible (IMHO) to isolate the differences in feel caused by the lower BB when you're riding a frame that has different steering geometry, tires, etc. It's fine to compare one bike to another but just don't walk away thinking that the differences are all due to the BB height.
JLS
A Muzi said:The recently discontinued Bianchi San Remo is a 7.0
(And 7.5 is more a touring bike than a road bike)
Although it might be a tad low for criteriums, 7.5cm drop ought to be fine for stage racing.
--
-John ([email hidden])
i'd like to know how to measure a BB drop??
My Litespeed Veneto has a claimed BB drop of 7.6cm. I haven't actually measured it to verify that.
If you check the Litespeed web site, I think a few of their other models are much the same. And
Rivendell make the Rambouillet...
Nick
"Jack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I would like to know if there are any off the rack, that is, non- custom, road bikes made today
with a 7.5cm bb drop.
In article <[email hidden]>,
(g.daniels) said:i'd like to know how to measure a BB drop??
Measure down from the line joining the wheel axle centers to the center of the BB spindle.
--
Ted Bennett Portland OR
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.