Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Any Truvativ BB experience (and compatability ques.)

Started by Chris · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,278 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
9 March 2003
Last activity
10 March 2003
Original author
Chris
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,278
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
    RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just
    love my bike.

    So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex BBs,
    even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive (the ST cranks description simply reads
    "splined"😉. I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and they have horrid reviews...all less than
    three "stars" or whatever system they use. So...has anyone ever used a Truvativ BB? Should I be
    afraid? Are the Stylo Teams (2001 and 2002 models) ISIS or proprietarily (a la Shimano) splined? Can
    I put a RF ISIS BB in a 01-02 Stylo Team?

    The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever - but I
    wanted to order all the stuff I need to both finish upgrading my Sugar and finish building my
    hardtail, and if I go Next, I will blow out my self-established price limit by about $100.

    Vital stats that may apply to BB questions: It will be installed in a Sugar frame, so
    short-to-mid-travel FS, ridden mostly XC, some "trail riding," rider is 185 (and losing weight, but
    probably will never get to 175, thanks to genetic love handles and increasing muscle mass).

    I should just buy the damn Next's and a RF SRX BB and stop my [censored], right?

    Chris

    PS - I always shop at my LBS, 'cuz dammit, it's the right thing to do, but even they tell me to shop
    online for some stuff...they just can't compete with the prices.

  2. Chris said:

    I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
    RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just love
    my bike.

    So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex
    BBs, even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive (the ST cranks description simply reads
    "splined"😉. I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and they have horrid reviews...all less than
    three "stars" or whatever system they use. So...has anyone ever used a Truvativ BB? Should I be
    afraid? Are the Stylo Teams (2001 and 2002 models) ISIS or proprietarily (a la Shimano) splined?
    Can I put a RF ISIS BB in a 01-02 Stylo Team?

    The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever - but I
    wanted to order all the stuff I need to both finish upgrading my Sugar and finish building my
    hardtail, and if I go Next, I will blow out my self-established price limit by about $100.

    Vital stats that may apply to BB questions: It will be installed in a Sugar frame, so
    short-to-mid-travel FS, ridden mostly XC, some "trail riding," rider is 185 (and losing weight,
    but probably will never get to 175, thanks to genetic love handles and increasing muscle mass).

    I should just buy the damn Next's and a RF SRX BB and stop my [censored], right?

    Chris

    PS - I always shop at my LBS, 'cuz dammit, it's the right thing to do, but even they tell me to
    shop online for some stuff...they just can't compete with the prices.

    I have Next LPs on a TruVative sealex ISIS BB.

    I've had 2 BBs so far. The first lasted about 5k miles, but I replaced with when I could feel slop
    in the bearing and could probably have gotten another 1k+ out of it before it got bad enough that I
    *had* to replace it (didn't like the clicking). The second came with tight bearings -- the first
    would spin easily, the 2nd was bound a bit. Didn't notice it riding at all. Took over 1k miles to
    free-up. I don't know if it was tight bearings or slightly off bore on one side. Since it works for
    my bike and comes in a 118 (needed for the Next LPs to clear my swing-arm pivots), I'm using it! 🙂.
    The fact that RaceFace will only produce 113s has me annoyed at their arrogance -- their way or the
    highway? starting to sound like Shimano.

    Note that it doesn't take the standard shimano BB tool. I think that it uses the spider tool, but
    I'm not sure (I had one already, but don't remember what I bought it for 🙂).

    David

  3. Chris said:

    I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
    RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just
    love my bike.

    So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex BBs,
    even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive (the ST cranks description simply reads
    "splined"😉. I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and they have horrid reviews...all less than
    three "stars" or whatever system they use. So...has anyone ever used a Truvativ BB? Should I be
    afraid? Are the Stylo Teams (2001 and 2002 models) ISIS or proprietarily (a la Shimano) splined?
    Can I put a RF ISIS BB in a 01-02 Stylo Team?

    The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever - but I
    wanted to order all the stuff I need to both finish upgrading my Sugar and finish building my
    hardtail, and if I go Next, I will blow out my self-established price limit by about $100.

    Vital stats that may apply to BB questions: It will be installed in a Sugar frame, so
    short-to-mid-travel FS, ridden mostly XC, some "trail riding," rider is 185 (and losing weight, but
    probably will never get to 175, thanks to genetic love handles and increasing muscle mass).

    I should just buy the damn Next's and a RF SRX BB and stop my [censored], right?

    Chris

    PS - I always shop at my LBS, 'cuz dammit, it's the right thing to do, but even they tell me to
    shop online for some stuff...they just can't compete with the prices.

    I have the Stylo Team cranks and the Sealex BB. I have not had any problems with mine but I only
    have about 1k miles or so on it right now. I did have to buy the Park BBT-8 tool to install it. One
    note with using the tool. You have to keep pressure pushing in on the tool to keep it from slipping
    off while you tight the BB. I took a washer just big enough around to catch the tool and with an
    internal opening big enough to fit the crank bolt into. Put the tool on the BB then screw in in the
    washer/crank bolt and then the tool can't slip off the BB.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  4. "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the


    Truvativ

    Quoted message said:

    Stylo Team and the RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of
    money - I just love my bike.

    <snipped my own details>

    Alright, nevermind. The Stylo Team looks like a great crankset, but I knew if I ordered it I would
    still always be dreaming of the Next LP - so that's what I bought. I offset the cost by going square
    taper (with compact rings and RF Taperlock CrMO BB - $229); I can wait a few years for ISIS.

    For the record, I also bought all the parts I need for my hardtial project, and some stuff I just
    plain wanted. Grand total for cranks, BB, xtr F and xt R ders, xtr cables, xt chain, zuzu pedals, RF
    Deus stem - $449.

    I better not get a girlfriend anytime soon, as I can no longer afford to date.

    Chris (still thinks it's a bit crazy that $449 doesn't seem that expensive for bike parts when, in
    reality, it's ridiculous)

  5. Chris said:

    I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
    RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just love
    my bike.

    So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex
    BBs, even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive

    ISIS is ISIS.... that is the whole point behind a "standard"
    I.S.I.S. (International Spline Interface Standard)

    Quoted message said:

    (the ST cranks description simply reads "splined"😉. I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and
    they have horrid reviews...

    Dunno, I use RaceFace North Shore XS bottom Brackets. I can destroy a [censored] UN-72 in a
    matter of miles

    Quoted message said:

    The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever -

    The baddest @ssed crank ever made is the Rafe Face North Shore DH

  6. David Kunz said:

    Chris wrote:

    Note that it doesn't take the standard shimano BB tool.

    100% correct.... You ABOSULTELY _NEED_ the Race Face BB tool

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.