UK and Europe · Public discussion

Anybody found a good seat

Started by David Wood · · Last activity · 8 posts · 402 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 October 2006
Last activity
12 October 2006
Original author
David Wood
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
402
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.
    The current one is a split type called Ergo and is not bad but not perfect
    Surprisingly I bought a massive gel seat with springs and it was awful on a
    long run!
    (I'm not a lightweight person so I tend to compress all the gel and end up
    on the plastic base!)
    Any experiences appreciated...

  2. On 11/10/2006 19:34, David Wood said,

    Quoted message said:

    I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.

    Seats are very personal, as you've just discovered! I don't know if any
    still do it, but years ago some bike shops had a "selection box" of
    saddles that you could hire and try them out before buying. It might be
    worth asking you LBS, although mine gave me a bit of a funny look when I
    asked!

    I bought a cheap saddle off eBay, and it lasted on my bike for, oh, all
    of five minutes. Yet my mother bought a cheap saddle donkeys years ago,
    and transferred it onto her very expensive Argos. When it wore out she
    bought another identical one a month ago for a fiver! Price isn't
    everything...

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  3. Paul Boyd said:

    On 11/10/2006 19:34, David Wood said,

    Quoted message said:

    I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.

    Seats are very personal, as you've just discovered! I don't know if any
    still do it, but years ago some bike shops had a "selection box" of
    saddles that you could hire and try them out before buying. It might be
    worth asking you LBS, although mine gave me a bit of a funny look when I
    asked!

    I bought a cheap saddle off eBay, and it lasted on my bike for, oh, all
    of five minutes. Yet my mother bought a cheap saddle donkeys years ago,
    and transferred it onto her very expensive Argos. When it wore out she
    bought another identical one a month ago for a fiver! Price isn't
    everything...


    Agreed. My fallback is still the San Marco Rolls. Its not flashy but its
    more comfortable than anything else I've ridden. Ive just looked at
    Wiggle & they now cost £24.99! Shocking. I'm sure I paid £15 for the
    last one. Mind you thinking about it that must have been about 6 years
    ago 🙂

    Stan Cox

  4. David Wood said:

    I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.
    The current one is a split type called Ergo and is not bad but not
    perfect Surprisingly I bought a massive gel seat with springs and it
    was awful on a long run!

    The latter wouldn't be surprising to many here. The gel moves out under body
    weight and stops supporting your body. You might find a traditional sprung
    saddle works for you (Brooks) if your weight is sufficient to work the
    springs.

    Quoted message said:

    (I'm not a lightweight person so I tend to compress all the gel and
    end up on the plastic base!)
    Any experiences appreciated...

    Saddles, like shoes, are very personal. What works for you won't necessarily
    work for the next person.

    Best idea I have is to go to a Specialized dealer and use their "bum
    measurer" (bit of foam on a board which holds depressions for a few
    minutes). This tells how wide your sit bones are positioned (bugger all to
    do with your apparent weight or bulk, mine are wide, and I'm very skinny),
    and can be combined with an idea of your riding position (upright, slight
    lean, full racing tuck) to estimate suitable saddle widths. Then use this
    information to narrow down your selection of saddles, not necessarily
    Specialized models.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, David Wood

    (') said:

    I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.
    The current one is a split type called Ergo and is not bad but not
    perfect Surprisingly I bought a massive gel seat with springs and it was
    awful on a long run!

    Yes, they are. The only comfortable saddle is a really hard one that fits
    you well. Different people have different width pelvises - and the width
    of your pelvis has little to do with how large you are. 'Specialized' (the
    brand) dealers now have a gauge thing which you sit on to measure the
    width of your pelvis.

    The reason you need a hard saddle is because you sit on two boney lumps on
    your pelvis called the ischeal tuberosities. If you sit on a hard saddle
    these take all the weight, and although it can be uncomfortable at first
    they have been evolved for sitting on and will cope. If, however, the
    saddle is soft, your ischeal tuberosities sink in and transfer weight to
    the soft tissue around them which is definitely not adapted to the task.
    Not only does it hurt but it can lead to permanent scarring and loss of
    function, so avoid soft saddles!

    Many people find Brooks leather saddles very comfortable, but you need to
    get one that fits. There's a lot of myths about 'breaking in' Brooks
    saddles - they do adapt to fit you, but only a bit, and my belief is that
    if it isn't comfortable on day one it isn't ever going to be.

    Other than the Brooks Professional - which I find very comfortable indeed -
    my second favourite is the Selle Italia SLR, which is minimalist and very
    hard. I can ride all day with either of those without any discomfort at
    all.

    Final thought - make sure your saddle is high enough. If your saddle is too
    low your [censored] will take more of your weight and your feet less. Weight on
    your feet is not only good for cycling efficiency, it's also good for
    comfort.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    Many people find Brooks leather saddles very comfortable, but you
    need to get one that fits. There's a lot of myths about 'breaking in'
    Brooks saddles - they do adapt to fit you, but only a bit, and my
    belief is that if it isn't comfortable on day one it isn't ever going
    to be.

    Hmmmm. The B17 on the old fixer was comfortable from day one, but the one
    on Depravo the Roadrat is taking a bit more time to get used to. I think I
    may have read somewhere that the brown ones break in quicker than the black,
    but putting a brown saddle on Depravo would just be Wrong.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>

    David Wood said:

    I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.
    The current one is a split type called Ergo and is not bad but not perfect
    Surprisingly I bought a massive gel seat with springs and it was awful on a
    long run!
    (I'm not a lightweight person so I tend to compress all the gel and end up
    on the plastic base!)
    Any experiences appreciated...


    I put a WTB Pure V on my ATB and that's pretty good - it has fairly soft
    padding with a central groove. My road bike has an old skool Unicanitor
    saddle that's as stiff as a board but also very comfortable. As for
    finding a saddle that's right for you, it's largely a question of trial
    and error. I would suggest something that has a narrow nose and firm
    padding, but beyond that you just have to find something that's the
    right shape and width to suit your seating area - if the fit isn't right
    then no amount of gel padding or springs or grooves is going to make it
    work properly (it's actually more likely to make it worse).

  8. Quoted message said:

    I removed the original cheap seat from my Marin mountain bike and have
    bought several in an attempt to get comfortable one.
    The current one is a split type called Ergo and is not bad but not
    perfect Surprisingly I bought a massive gel seat with springs and it
    was awful on a long run!
    (I'm not a lightweight person so I tend to compress all the gel and
    end up on the plastic base!)
    Any experiences appreciated...

    <url:www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html>

    The above link has everything you need to know about saddle fit. My
    experience is that the bits about fiddling with saddle height, tilt etc
    works wonders.

    Also, jeans don't really work for long rides <-- understatement

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.