anybody using WTB Dirt Drops

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    base-line placement of my brake levers.

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    > base-line placement of my brake levers.

    I've got Nitto Dirt Drops which aren't anywhere near as flared as the WTBs so I can't help you
    there. But do a Google image search on Jacquie Phelan and you'll probably get some good ideas.

    Greg

  3. >Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    >base-line placement of my brake levers.

    The standard Riv advice for setting up weird bars is to hold off on taping them them until you've
    ridden them with the levers in a few different postions to get it all figured out.

    My guess for a good starting point would be levers pointed straight ahead, and as high up on the
    curve as possible while still allowing good finger reach to the levers from the drops.

    Cheers,

    -A

  4. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    > Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    > base-line placement of my brake levers.

    Just sent you a couple pics of my setup.

    Gary in VA

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    > base-line placement of my brake levers.

    Didja ever get what I sent you?

    JD

  6. John G

    John G Guest

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    > >>base-line placement of my brake levers.
    > >

    > > Didja ever get what I sent you?
    >
    > As seen here: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/XTR_Front.jpg

    I was beginning to wonder if the USPS lost it. Looks good.

    JD

  8. "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Got any pics of your set-up? The flare is really throwing me of. I could use some ideas on a
    > base-line placement of my brake levers.

    While I haven't run those bars, a buddy of mine did for years, on a Merlin Newsboy no less. His
    brakes always sucked. I liked the riding position with my hands on the hoods, but braking was junk.
    Of course, if you've ever ridden a Newsboy, you know the rear brake leaves a lot to be desired,
    roller cam under the chainstays with about a mile of cable housing routed through the frame. We all
    called it "the circus bike" because of it's freak show appearence and riding characteristics.