Anyone carry pepper spray while riding?

J999w

Guest
Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on
them or wack them with my pump ... but more for when
encountering rowdy kids just starting their summer vacation,
have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of
their friend's car.

Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm
(sometimes 'ya gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big
guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and normally don't get harrassed,
but every once and a while I come across some buzzed social
bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the
'faggy bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the
finger, or give them a stream of expletives and some
suggestions of physical impossible feats, but I fear that
some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across
someone looking for a fight and I'm thinking that the full
water bottle I bounce off their car will just entice them
more and I'm going to need an edge (something legal).

Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

Thanks.

jw Milwaukee

> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

Ruger GP-100 4in barrel, stainless. 148gr. FJHP Federal
Hydroshock Gun control - The ability to put two rounds
through the same hole.

I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works
just as well. I suppose the Halt would work pretty well
against two legged predators, but my tiny little North
American Arms 22 revolver will work better.

J999w wrote:
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

I started carrying Halt! after a homeless guy took a swing
at me with his cane as I was riding by (he missed). I never
did use it though. I was using that clip they make for it
and about 6 months after I bought it, it fell off when I was
on a long fast downhill. I haven't replaced it. I recomend
not using that clip. I seem to get more threats from drivers
who can roll their windows up and render it ineffective.
Loose dogs are rare where I ride.

Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote in news:OE1Bc.8231$tC5.7408
@fed1read02:

> J999w wrote:
>> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> I seem to get more threats from drivers who can roll their
> windows up and render it ineffective. Loose dogs are rare
> where I ride.

In front of the windshield is the air intake vents. Some
pepper spray directed to this area would be forced into the
vehicle by the ventilation system regardless of whether the
windows are up or not. I think most vehicles have some flow-
through ventilation even if the system is switched off.

--
Mike DeMicco <[email protected]

"J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade
> on them or wack
them
> with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids
> just starting
their
> summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and
> getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out
> of the window of their friend's
car.

> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about
> 10:30pm (sometimes
'ya
> gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and
> 200+ lbs) and normally don't get harrassed, but every once
> and a while I come across
some
> buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to
> take on the
'faggy
> bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger,
> or give them a stream of expletives and some suggestions
> of physical impossible feats,
but I
> fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come
> across someone
looking
> for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I
> bounce off their
car
> will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge
> (something
legal).

> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw Milwaukee

Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite w/ 102 gr Golden Sabre ammo.
Started carrying it all of the time (legally with gun
permit) after 2 drunken hoofties tried to run me off of the
road with their pickup truck.

Mike,

This is a pretty dangerous recommendation. Drivers of the
ilk under discussion lack the talent to drive safely in the
first place. Rendering them effectively blind in this
manner could present a serious danger to a significant
number of people. Even if you could prove you acted in self-
defense, I think it likely that should the driver
subsequently injure someone due to impairment, the
responsibility would not land there.

Despite their lack of skills, I cannot advocate the use of
violence against drivers. Even the insolent hand gesture
does nothing to improve my mood and potentially escalates a
no-win situation into one where injuries may occur. Since I
adopted a more mellow response to dangerous drivers, I find
that I often forget about them and forget to even discuss
them after the ride is over. Oh, I still mumble something
under my breath while smiling and waving at them, but I am
amused, rather than angry, at them when they look at me with
total bewilderment.

There may be times where weapons, sprays, or bad attitudes
are an understandable response (I doubt, for example, that
I'd be any too mellow if someone actually hit me), but most
of the time, I find that I feel better about myself and the
world, as a whole, if I just let it go.

Rick

"Mike DeMicco" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:OE1Bc.8231$tC5.7408 @fed1read02:
>
> > J999w wrote:
> >> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
> >
> > I seem to get more threats from drivers who can roll
> > their windows up and render it ineffective. Loose dogs
> > are rare where I ride.
> >

> In front of the windshield is the air intake vents. Some
> pepper spray directed to this area would be forced into
> the vehicle by the ventilation system regardless of
> whether the windows are up or not. I think most vehicles
> have some flow-through ventilation even if the system is
> switched off.
>
> --
> Mike DeMicco <[email protected]

Originally posted by J999w
[...]

You're not one of those guys who rides in the road, even though there' a bike lane, are you? Many people get freaked out because of people on bicycles. Many are just idiots. But most don't want to hurt us. Those that do don't deserve a bullet (as many on this thread have basically siggested, and which, honestly at times, I might have condoned myself, I am after all a cyclist), but should be ignored.

Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)

zperrys wrote:
> Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to
> kick your ass simply because your riding a bicycle, then
> call the cops (you do take your cell phone with you when
> you ride, right?)

And what good will that do, aside from getting medical
attention more quickly? Do you think the cops are capable of
protecting you if you call them when you're already under
attack? Seems the only two choices are being prepared to
defend yourself or fleeing from danger. Mitch.

In article <[email protected]>, George
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040617022833.11381.00000078@mb-
> m23.aol.com...
> > Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade
> > on them or wack
> them
> > with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy
> > kids just starting
> their
> > summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer,
> > and getting just a little too abusive while half hanging
> > out of the window of their friend's
> car.
> >
> > Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about
> > 10:30pm (sometimes
> 'ya
> > gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5"
> > and 200+ lbs) and normally don't get harrassed, but
> > every once and a while I come across
> some
> > buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready
> > to take on the
> 'faggy
> > bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the
> > finger, or give them a stream of expletives and some
> > suggestions of physical impossible feats,
> but I
> > fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come
> > across someone
> looking
> > for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle
> > I bounce off their
> car
> > will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge
> > (something
> legal).
> >
> > Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > jw Milwaukee
>
> Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite w/ 102 gr Golden Sabre ammo.
> Started carrying it all of the time (legally with gun
> permit) after 2 drunken hoofties tried to run me off of
> the road with their pickup truck.

What, you going to shoot them as they drive away next time?
(Not that they don't deserve it but I can't see the gun
being of much value in this context.)

--
James P. Spencer Rochester, MN

"Badges?? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

James Spencer wrote:
> What, you going to shoot them as they drive away next
> time? (Not that they don't deserve it but I can't see the
> gun being of much value in this context.)

About all you can do is have it ready in case they come
around again. If somebody nearly strikes you with a 2 ton
blunt object, and then turns around and aims it at you
again, I'd consider that a good reason to respond with
force. Mitch.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:48:39 -0700, Bill Davidson
<[email protected]> ejaculated:

>Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

1. I do.
2. Never used it off duty.
3. Brand name not shown on container issued by my
former job
- police department.

Cordially,

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department®
___________________________________
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"It should be the policy of the United States to support ef-
forts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from
power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic
government to replace that regime,"
-- 1998 Iraq Liberation Act (Public Law 105-338)
signed by Bill Clinton

When ye encounter the infidels, strike off their heads till
ye have made a great slaughter among them, and of the rest,
make fast the fetters.
http://www.truthnet.org/islam/Quran/Rodwell/47/

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

Gooserider wrote:
> I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn
> works just as well. I suppose the Halt would work pretty
> well against two legged predators, but my tiny little
> North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.

What kind of ammo do you carry in that thing for dogs?
Snake shot?

zperrys wrote:
> You're not one of those guys who rides in the road, even
> though there' a bike lane, are you? Many people get
> freaked out because of

In my state, there is no provision that states you *must*
use the bike lane if there is one. Bicycles are just as much
vehicles as cars, (pardon me, no one drives 'cars'
anymore...) SUV's are.

> people on bicycles. Many are just idiots. But most don't
> want to hurt us. Those that do don't deserve a bullet (as
> many on this thread have basically

What f*cking planet are you living on? Anyone who has
choosen to use their vehicle to attack me, deserves a
bullet. Preferably two.

> siggested, and which, honestly at times, I might have
> condoned myself, I am after all a cyclist), but should be
> ignored.

That's right, just ignore the people that suggested that the
use of force in response to an attack by a two-ton moron-
piloted vehicle is justified. Just lie down and let them run
you over next time. God forbid you actually defend yourself.
Grow some balls, dude!

> Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to
> kick your ass simply because your riding a bicycle, then
> call the cops (you do take your cell phone with you when
> you ride, right?)

Riiiight, and Mr. Big Ass Dude will very patiently wait for
you to fumble out your phone, call 911 and wait while you
describe him, the situation, and your location. I'm sure his
fear of the police will freeze him in his tracks. Fight or
flight, those are your only two choices in that situation. I
prefer to have to have both options.

Where do you live? I would much rather be there than here in
the real world.

Regards,
H.

J999w wrote:
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade
> on them or wack them with my pump ... but more for when
> encountering rowdy kids just starting their summer
> vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and
> getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out
> of the window of their friend's car.
>
> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about
> 10:30pm (sometimes 'ya gotta ride whenever you can).
> Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and normally
> don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come
> across some buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave
> and is ready to take on the 'faggy bicyclist'. My normal
> reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
> stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical
> impossible feats, but I fear that some hot night, when
> I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking for a
> fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I
> bounce off their car will just entice them more and I'm
> going to need an edge (something legal).
>
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw Milwaukee

If I were to carry something non-lethal other than a gun,
I think I would probably prefer a air-powered cartridge
loaded taser (the kind that looks like a gun and shoots
15 feet,*NOT* the cheap contact kind) over a can of
pepper spray. I believe that they're legal to carry
concealed in most states without a license. They require
some training and practice to use effectively, but the
training is easy to get.

People who are enraged (or just pumped on adrenaline) and/or
on drugs can still function and continue attacking you even
after being sprayed (especially with consumer-grade sprays),
whereas 50,000 volts will stop anything short of a bull
elephant dead in his tracks.

I have been trained to use both, and when facing a single
attacker, I would feel much more confident of stopping an
attacker with a taser in my hand than a can of pepper spray,
but that's just me. If you are facing multiple attackers,
then I might give the nod to the spray, assuming you are
properly trained and practice it's use.

Regards,
H.

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn
> works just as well.
> suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged
> predators, but
my
> tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will
> work better.

With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute, fun
little toy, but I would hope you would never consider one to
be a serious defense weapon.

Dave

Raoul Duke wrote:
> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn
>> works just as well. I suppose the Halt would work pretty
>> well against two legged predators, but my tiny little
>> North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.
>
> With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute,
> fun little toy, but I would hope you would never consider
> one to be a serious defense weapon.
>
> Dave

Well, in context, if I had to choose only one between a can
of Halt!, an air horn, or a NAA .22 revolver, I'd take the
(tiny) revolver over the other two choices, although I think
that there are much better choices for a carry gun
available.

Dogs are usually pretty easy to scare off, so I'd probably
prefer to have two choices, one for two-legged perpetrators,
and one for the four-legged kind. Oddly enough, the thought
of shooting a dog disturbs me a great deal more than a
person. I'd much prefer to use a non-lethal form of
persuasion on our four-legged friends.

Regards,
H.

"J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade
> on them or wack
them
> with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids
> just starting
their
> summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and
> getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out
> of the window of their friend's
car.

> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about
> 10:30pm (sometimes
'ya
> gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and
> 200+ lbs) and normally don't get harrassed, but every once
> and a while I come across
some
> buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to
> take on the
'faggy
> bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger,
> or give them a stream of expletives and some suggestions
> of physical impossible feats,
but I
> fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come
> across someone
looking
> for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I
> bounce off their
car
> will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge
> (something
legal).

> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw Milwaukee

Yes...I carry "10% Pepper Spray". Halt might be OK for dogs,
but it is very weak pepper spray, and would not be a good
choice against two-legged varmints.

A small pepper spray fits neatly in the jersey pocket and
can be deployed quickly. I've used it several times on
dogs, and the effect is impressive. They seem to
immediately lose all interest in chasing me, and sometimes
go to the side of the road to rub their muzzles in the
grass. They don't whimper or cry, so I'm assuming it
doesn't hurt them too much.

I've never used it on a person, but I've seen it used by a
cop on a belligerent drunk and feel comforted by how
"persuasive" the pepper can be.

~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats -
Software for Cyclists

"Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn
> > works just as
well.
> > suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two
> > legged predators,
but
> my
> > tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will work
> > better.
>
> With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute,
> fun little toy,
but
> I would hope you would never consider one to be a serious
> defense weapon.
>
> Dave

I wouldn't want to get shot with one. It's a last ditch
option which fits nicely in a jersey pocket. Is it the
equal of my Kahr P9? No. But a single 22 shot is likely
to be enough to deter anybody. Or at least give me time
to get away.

Mike