anyone for a metric century a month challenge?

MartinM

Guest
Shamelessly pinched from C+, here's an idea to get us all on our bikes
next year; nothing too serious (unless you want it to be)

the rules,

you must do at least a 100km ride (of any type, no-one's going to check
up on you) every calendar month

you get 1 point for each complete 100km you do in a day

err, that's it ;-) just add your latest ride and total points to this
thread

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shamelessly pinched from C+, here's an idea to get us all on our bikes
> next year; nothing too serious (unless you want it to be)

why duplicate the efforts of C+ ??

Do I have to do a separate ride for each challenge? ;-)

vernon wrote:

> why duplicate the efforts of C+ ??

because there are a lot of riders here that are not on C+

> Do I have to do a separate ride for each challenge? ;-)

100k= 1 point, 400k=4 points; it must be a continous ride to count
(tea/Z stops / train etc transits permitted)

in message <[email protected]>,
MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Shamelessly pinched from C+, here's an idea to get us all on our bikes
> next year; nothing too serious (unless you want it to be)
>
> the rules,
>
> you must do at least a 100km ride (of any type, no-one's going to check
> up on you) every calendar month
>
> you get 1 point for each complete 100km you do in a day
>
> err, that's it ;-) just add your latest ride and total points to this
> thread

Err... can I plead an excuse till April? I'm not going to be allowed back
on my bike until at least late January, and it will take a little while
to get some fitness back.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.

MartinM wrote:
> vernon wrote:
>

>>why duplicate the efforts of C+ ??

> because there are a lot of riders here that are not on C+
>

>>Do I have to do a separate ride for each challenge? ;-)

> 100k= 1 point, 400k=4 points; it must be a continous ride to count
> (tea/Z stops / train etc transits permitted)

Are we allowed breaks during these rides?

I was thinking of a break of somewhere in the region of 20 hours between
the stages of my ride.. Maybe even 48 hours at some points!

MartinM wrote:
> vernon wrote:
>

>>why duplicate the efforts of C+ ??

> because there are a lot of riders here that are not on C+
>

>>Do I have to do a separate ride for each challenge? ;-)

> 100k= 1 point, 400k=4 points; it must be a continous ride to count
> (tea/Z stops / train etc transits permitted)

I think he means can his 100km in January be used for the u.r.c.
challenge and the C+ challenge.

Random wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
>> vernon wrote:
>>

>>> why duplicate the efforts of C+ ??

>> because there are a lot of riders here that are not on C+
>>

>>> Do I have to do a separate ride for each challenge? ;-)

>> 100k= 1 point, 400k=4 points; it must be a continous ride to count
>> (tea/Z stops / train etc transits permitted)
>>

> Are we allowed breaks during these rides?
>
> I was thinking of a break of somewhere in the region of 20 hours between
> the stages of my ride.. Maybe even 48 hours at some points!

Breaks of that length are not allowed

MSeries wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > vernon wrote:
> >

> >>why duplicate the efforts of C+ ??

> > because there are a lot of riders here that are not on C+
> >

> >>Do I have to do a separate ride for each challenge? ;-)

> > 100k= 1 point, 400k=4 points; it must be a continous ride to count
> > (tea/Z stops / train etc transits permitted)
> >

> I think he means can his 100km in January be used for the u.r.c.
> challenge and the C+ challenge.

I see; yes of course it can, it's only a personal challenge, if on
both fora then post your ride to both. I think you have 70 points to
beat on C+, not sure about urc.

> I see; yes of course it can, it's only a personal challenge, if on
> both fora then post your ride to both. I think you have 70 points to
> beat on C+, not sure about urc.

I'm looking at around 19 points from Audaxes before my next big-ish tour in
July. Too busy to get much more than that fitted in...
I've got my money on MSeries here in urc....

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Shamelessly pinched from C+, here's an idea to get us all on our bikes
> > next year; nothing too serious (unless you want it to be)
> >
> > the rules,
> >
> > you must do at least a 100km ride (of any type, no-one's going to check
> > up on you) every calendar month
> >
> > you get 1 point for each complete 100km you do in a day
> >
> > err, that's it ;-) just add your latest ride and total points to this
> > thread

> Err... can I plead an excuse till April? I'm not going to be allowed back
> on my bike until at least late January, and it will take a little while
> to get some fitness back.

accepted as long as you go through to March, but no other late starters
without a very good reason ;-)

BTW this has me thinking; is the Randonneur Round the Year award only
available to riders who ride a 200k a month Jan-Dec or would
September- August be OK?

vernon wrote:

> I've got my money on MSeries here in urc....

not a Mr Kahn of this parish?

MartinM wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > in message <[email protected]>,
> > MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:
> >
> > > Shamelessly pinched from C+, here's an idea to get us all on our bikes
> > > next year; nothing too serious (unless you want it to be)
> > >
> > > the rules,
> > >
> > > you must do at least a 100km ride (of any type, no-one's going to check
> > > up on you) every calendar month
> > >
> > > you get 1 point for each complete 100km you do in a day
> > >
> > > err, that's it ;-) just add your latest ride and total points to this
> > > thread

> > Err... can I plead an excuse till April? I'm not going to be allowed back
> > on my bike until at least late January, and it will take a little while
> > to get some fitness back.

> accepted as long as you go through to March, but no other late starters
> without a very good reason ;-)
>
> BTW this has me thinking; is the Randonneur Round the Year award only
> available to riders who ride a 200k a month Jan-Dec or would
> September- August be OK?

IIRC its 12 consecutive months with no specific starting month. I was
thinking about this but I'll miss March as I'll be in Majorca when the
Chirk is on and thats the only northern 200 I can find

vernon wrote:
> > I see; yes of course it can, it's only a personal challenge, if on
> > both fora then post your ride to both. I think you have 70 points to
> > beat on C+, not sure about urc.

> I'm looking at around 19 points from Audaxes before my next big-ish tour in
> July. Too busy to get much more than that fitted in...
> I've got my money on MSeries here in urc....

I wasn't going to bother putting my name down for this. I don't need
the challenge for motivation, I'll get obcessive about it and turn my
90km rides into 100 just to get a point and to me its not really worth
the extra 20-30 mins, wouldn't do much for my fitness.

If I'd been doing it this year I'd have about 90 points without
trying.. Thats with breaking the really long rides (600, 1400) into
daily segments and rounding each day down to the nearest 100, losing
over 80 kms on two days, thus LEL gave only 10 points and not 14.
SImilarly my 600 gave 5 points since I considered it a 383 and a 220
ride since I slept in between.

In article <[email protected]>,
MSeries ([email protected]) wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Simon Brooke wrote:
> > > in message <[email protected]>,

> > > Err... can I plead an excuse till April? I'm not going to be allowed back
> > > on my bike until at least late January, and it will take a little while
> > > to get some fitness back.

> > accepted as long as you go through to March, but no other late starters
> > without a very good reason ;-)
> >
> > BTW this has me thinking; is the Randonneur Round the Year award only
> > available to riders who ride a 200k a month Jan-Dec or would
> > September- August be OK?

> IIRC its 12 consecutive months with no specific starting month.

Is the right answer. Poor Student in January, Marlborough Connection
and/or Kennett Valley Run in February and an embarrassment of choice in
March, and then I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!

Or something.

Among the calamities of war may be jointly numbered the diminution of
the love of truth, by the falsehoods which interest dictates and
credulity encourages.

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shamelessly pinched from C+, here's an idea to get us all on our bikes
> next year; nothing too serious (unless you want it to be)
>
> the rules,
>
> you must do at least a 100km ride (of any type, no-one's going to check
> up on you) every calendar month

Our local club does 70 miles every Sunday = 112 km. Plus 30 miles every Tue
+ Thu evening. That's 130 miles a week, plus my commuting mileage of 125
miles a week. That's a total of 255 miles a week or over 13000 miles a year.
Sometimes you can do too much - no wonder I've got an irregular heart beat !

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Is the right answer. Poor Student in January, Marlborough Connection
> and/or Kennett Valley Run in February and an embarrassment of choice in
> March, and then I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!
>
> Or something.

I'm slightly ahead of you. I just need the Poor Student in January to
complete my RYTY. Having said that though, I haven't had my brevet card
back yet from my Anorak's Delight permanent. It's my only November 200
(and jolly chilly it was too) so if that's got lost in the post I'm
back to square 1. (Pretends to look worried).

Come to think of it I still haven't had my brevet card back from LEL.
Well it was only 4-and-a-bit months ago.

The Marlborough Connection in February was my first audax. It's a
beautiful ride but surprisingly lumpy in parts. Quite a long slog over
the Ridgeway path if I remember. It's a John Harwood event therefore
the route sheet is perfection. Also it ends in a very pleasant pub that
serves randonneur sized portions of food.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>

>>Is the right answer. Poor Student in January, Marlborough Connection
>>and/or Kennett Valley Run in February and an embarrassment of choice in
>>March, and then I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!
>>
>>Or something.

> I'm slightly ahead of you. I just need the Poor Student in January to
> complete my RYTY. Having said that though, I haven't had my brevet card
> back yet from my Anorak's Delight permanent. It's my only November 200
> (and jolly chilly it was too) so if that's got lost in the post I'm
> back to square 1. (Pretends to look worried).
>
> Come to think of it I still haven't had my brevet card back from LEL.
> Well it was only 4-and-a-bit months ago.

I got my LEL Brevet card and a metal medal last week.

MSeries wrote:

> IIRC its 12 consecutive months with no specific starting month. I was
> thinking about this but I'll miss March as I'll be in Majorca when the
> Chirk is on and thats the only northern 200 I can find

I know a 200k perm you can do in Mallorca (self built)

I intend to start my RRTY in September 06 finishing in Aug 07 with PBP
(it's actually looking almost close now)

MSeries wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:

>> Come to think of it I still haven't had my brevet card back from LEL.
>> Well it was only 4-and-a-bit months ago.

> I got my LEL Brevet card and a metal medal last week.

Shouldn't be too long to wait then. Either that or it's lost forever.

--
Dave...