Anyone know how the sub-10-lb (7-lb?) bikes ride?

Jeff, I see the cycling forums debate is heating up yet again,
Hopefully I'll be able to post there tomorrow. In the past this bike
has definitely generated some hot debates. I know many people that
have bikes just for hill climb events, and if people could keep in mind
that's the main use for a bike like this, it starts to make a little
more sense.

I noticed you mentioned other postings about the bike, could you please
post the links or send them to me via email, I like to read the
debates, and sometimes answer questions.

It seems one item of hottest contention is the carbon cassette, it
appears that we were not the only ones working with this. They are now
available for sale. Check out this link
http://www.sub-4.de/1902269.htm

[email protected] wrote:
> Jeff, I see the cycling forums debate is heating up yet again,
> Hopefully I'll be able to post there tomorrow. In the past this bike
> has definitely generated some hot debates. I know many people that
> have bikes just for hill climb events, and if people could keep in mind
> that's the main use for a bike like this, it starts to make a little
> more sense.

The key question to me isn't durability but rather transmission efficiency. Flex in
the crank, chainrings, or chain slippage on the carbon fiber cogs are all a concern to
me. Consider a ride in which the power-to-speed relationship is:

A 1% loss in drivetrain efficiency, on a steep climb, will approach the effect of
a 1% increase in total mass, perhaps close to 0.7 kg. This is more than 15% the mass
of this bike! So drivetrain efficiency is really extremely important, much more
so than drivetrain gram shaving.