Night rides anyone ???

While I prefer an early morning bike ride, I also like riding at nighttime sometimes depending on the availability of my riding friends and the weather/traffic outside. They could be fun with the right company, but I don't like biking alone at nights.

That seems really great. I would like to do some night rides, but unfortunately, I live in a very insecure country, there's a lot of delinquency and robbery, and night rides can be very dangerous. Also, with our tropical country weather, riding at night will feel awesome, avoiding all that sun and heat. The other issue here are the drivers, people here drive like crazy, so I've seen some very awful road accidents and bikers that got killed. So, kind of envy that you guys can do it, but is not a good choice here haha.

Yeah. Night riding is interesting. Doing gigs in major metro areas for past few years has me on city streets in Chicago, NYC and Minneapolis at night. Not bad given street lights. BUT the craziest night rides we ever did were back in Santa Fe NM on our Mt Bikes. A company called Night Rider back then had an extremely bright lamp with a HUGE batter pack that mounted on your frame. An old bud named Andrew Tilin and I began experimenting with them. Andrew was the Gear Editor at Outside Mag so he got all of this gear for free. What we quickly realized was that in addition to the fixed light on the bike, we also needed Head Lamps to illuminate where your eyes were going. Especially on technical rides. We were on some crazy stuff up toward Ski Basin. Challenge at the time WAS headlamp technology back then sucked! Princeton Tech had a kick ass four AA battery driven Halogen bulb but it got really hot and killed batteries like nothing.

I especially like evening rides during Summer. The heat isn't as intense during night time. I do a bit of run with my bike for a couple of blocks before calling it a night.

I enjoy night rides whenever I feel like going out. I'm generally cautious and won't do it late at night. I prefer to start early around six to seven pm in the evening just to come back early.

This is better than not going out at all since you enjoy going out for night rides. What I always look at is to try to ride during the day since I live in a area where people party a lot and can drive recklessly at night after the party.

This is better than not going out at all since you enjoy going out for night rides. What I always look at is to try to ride during the day since I live in a area where people party a lot and can drive recklessly at night after the party.

Oh, that's unfortunate. I live in a relatively quite and peaceful environment. Though, you can't be too sure late at night. I prefer riding in the evening because the heat is not for me.

Riding at night could be nice too. No need to worry about hot temperature and the burning heat of the sun. I ride at night on places with many lights.

I ride a lot early evening, but have yet to try night cycling, if I did it would probably be on familiar roads.

It doesn't have to late at night. Early evening counts as well. I've mostly done it before nine in the evening.

I ride a lot before work (5:00-6:30 am) but on a recent work trip to Ft Lauderdale, I found lots of group night rides that started at 8:00 pm.
Because of the heat, the groups head out after sunset and it was a fun expirience doing a night group ride.

That does sound fun. It's much better to ride in a group than alone late at night. You're much safer that way.

I find it hard to ride before work. Of course I get up at 3:30 to get ready for work and I ain't riding at 2 am to get in a ride. :D

That's funny. I wouldn't do that as well if I had work. I'm happy with the convenience of riding in the morning and before late night.

During summer, the most comfortable ride here is during the night because the heat during the daytime is punishing that will test your stamina. However, it is foolish to ride on the main road at night as if you are courting accidents. Besides, it is very inconvenient now to ride outside the village because of the heavy traffic and the pollution. To be safe, I just roam around our village since the roads are well lighted although not all roads are concrete or asphalted.

I agree. Not just accidents but also potential danger. You can't be too sure about what's out there late at night. You wouldn't want to encounter dangerous individuals.

I enjoy a night ride occasionally. It can be a pretty good way of relieving stress after a long day and help you sleep better. It's particularly nice in the summer, especially in rural areas where the crickets are out and you're sharing the road with the nighttime wildlife.

That being said, I don't generally prefer nighttime riding. My optimal time for riding is typically very early morning, like around 5:00 AM. Here you get the all the benefits of night riding coupled with the fact that the roads are even more empty.

Depending on the time of night, people can still be commuting home or going places, but at 5:00 AM sharp there literally isn't a single person on the road, save for truck drivers.

That's actually smart of you. I've done the same as well. I like the quiet and stillness of being pretty much alone in the early morning. The cool air feels great too.

I agree. Not just accidents but also potential danger. You can't be too sure about what's out there late at night. You wouldn't want to encounter dangerous individuals.

Over here, there seems to be no safe place at night so it is advised that you should not be going out alone after dark. There were cases when the biker would be accosted by strangers only to experience being robbed of their bike. The usual target of such thieves are women bikers who are easily scared in that situation. Although there are suggestions on bringing along a weapon like the spray, prevention is still the best - don't ride at night time.

That's actually smart of you. I've done the same as well. I like the quiet and stillness of being pretty much alone in the early morning. The cool air feels great too.

Definitely! The morning air just before sunrise is always the most crisp and coolest. Often times, the night can still feel quite hot and humid. Things typically don't really cool down until around 3:00 AM (I know from going home during many late summer nights at the pub). The only downside is that if you're still on the road when the sun really starts to come out, all of the dew on the grass and trees starts to evaporate and the humidity skyrockets during that time.

Definitely! The morning air just before sunrise is always the most crisp and coolest. Often times, the night can still feel quite hot and humid. Things typically don't really cool down until around 3:00 AM (I know from going home during many late summer nights at the pub). The only downside is that if you're still on the road when the sun really starts to come out, all of the dew on the grass and trees starts to evaporate and the humidity skyrockets during that time.

That's right. I sometimes go outside that early in the morning just to get a whiff of that crisp air. There's just something about early morning air that gets you. I get goosebumps from relaxing outside. I mean that in a good way.

Over here, there seems to be no safe place at night so it is advised that you should not be going out alone after dark. There were cases when the biker would be accosted by strangers only to experience being robbed of their bike. The usual target of such thieves are women bikers who are easily scared in that situation. Although there are suggestions on bringing along a weapon like the spray, prevention is still the best - don't ride at night time.

I know what you mean. People can do stuff to scare you at night. Probably for their own entertainment. But I've seen others who got into dangerous situations. The night time is not safe for cycling.

My family and friends prefer to do cycling early in the morning but sometimes when I oversleep, we also do it late afternoon. We just have to be more careful because I think it is more dangerous to do cycling at night because of visibility issues.

My family and friends prefer to do cycling early in the morning but sometimes when I oversleep, we also do it late afternoon. We just have to be more careful because I think it is more dangerous to do cycling at night because of visibility issues.

That's actually a logical way to put it. We shouldn't do cycling at night especially without proper lighting. Some places are just too dark and seedy to visit at night time.