Anyone Remember this Article About Lance??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bd, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Bd

    Bd Guest

    Hey all,

    I have been trying to find a piece that was in a cycling magazine a while back. It could have been
    in a mainstream sports article, but I don't think so. The article was about a piece of testing
    equipment that the University of Texas had for measuring lung capacity and performance under
    stress. The article talked about how they had tested all kinds of athletes in all of the major
    sports and then got Lance to come in, he promptly destroyed the previous marks for performance that
    they had measured on other athlete. There was much more in the article, but that is what I remember
    most about
    it.Anyone have any idea what magazine it appeared in or where I can find it?

    Thanks BD

  2. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    It's in his book

    "BD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have been trying to find a piece that was in a cycling magazine a while back. It could have been
    > in a mainstream sports article, but I don't think so. The article was about a piece of testing
    > equipment that the University of Texas had for measuring lung capacity and performance under
    > stress. The article talked about how they had tested all kinds of athletes in all of the major
    > sports and then got Lance to come in, he promptly destroyed the previous marks for performance
    > that they had measured on other athlete. There was much more in the article, but that is what I
    > remember most about
    > it.Anyone have any idea what magazine it appeared in or where I can find it?
    >
    > Thanks BD

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "BD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have been trying to find a piece that was in a cycling magazine a while back. It could have been
    > in a mainstream sports article, but I don't
    think
    > so. The article was about a piece of testing equipment that the University of Texas had for
    > measuring lung capacity and performance under stress. The article talked about how they had tested
    > all kinds of athletes in all of
    the
    > major sports and then got Lance to come in, he promptly destroyed the previous marks for
    > performance that they had measured on other athlete. There was much more in the article, but that
    > is what I remember most about
    > it.Anyone have any idea what magazine it appeared in or where I can find it?

    Never seen the article, but undoubtly it was about physiological testing in Ed Coyle's lab at
    UT-Austin. Lung capacity wouldn't have been measured (since except in swimmers and perhaps gymnasts,
    it isn't altered by athletic activity), but VO2max would have been. Unless something has changed
    significantly, however, I doubt that Armstrong "promptly destroyed the previous marks for
    performance they had measured on other athletes". His VO2max has been reported to be in the low to
    mid 80 mL/min/kg range, and I know for a fact that at least one other cyclist has recorded a similar
    value in Ed's lab.

    Now that I think about it, Bicycling did a piece about Ed's lab a few years ago...had a picture of
    him sitting on the ergometer in normal clothes, maybe juggling something?

    Andy Coggan

  4. Jeffl

    Jeffl Guest

    There was some mention of the testing in a UofT in Dec 2002 Sports Illustrated. The one with Lance
    as sportsman of the year.

    It talked about some (?)baseball(?) player riding a cybex machine for about 4 minutes before total
    exhaustion. Lance rides it for an hour.

    -jl

    "BD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have been trying to find a piece that was in a cycling magazine a while back. It could have been
    > in a mainstream sports article, but I don't
    think
    > so. The article was about a piece of testing equipment that the University of Texas had for
    > measuring lung capacity and performance under stress. The article talked about how they had tested
    > all kinds of athletes in all of
    the
    > major sports and then got Lance to come in, he promptly destroyed the previous marks for
    > performance that they had measured on other athlete. There was much more in the article, but that
    > is what I remember most about
    > it.Anyone have any idea what magazine it appeared in or where I can find it?
    >
    > Thanks BD

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  5. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    jeffl wrote:
    > There was some mention of the testing in a UofT in Dec 2002 Sports Illustrated. The one with Lance
    > as sportsman of the year.
    >
    > It talked about some (?)baseball(?) player riding a cybex machine for about 4 minutes before total
    > exhaustion. Lance rides it for an hour.
    >
    > -jl

    Quite inconclusive. (Though I do not doubt that baseball players have little aerobic capacity in
    general. Most of them don't qualify as athletes IMO.) A cyclist is going to ride any bike better
    than another kind of athlete. In many cases, much better.