Anyone Spin?

Cairns

Aug 28, 2013
It's gotten pretty cold here and most days are rainy. I decided to start taking spin classes 4x per week since I don't tolerate the cold very well (I suffer with Reynaud's Syndrome).

I'm hoping it will keep me in condition so when spring rolls around I can get right out there in peak condition. I'm getting in nearly 100 miles per week and starting to get seriously lean (I also do strength training 2x week w/a trainer and yoga 1-2x per week).

It's seriously addicting!

Just curious - Anyone here into spinning? What benefits have you seen?

Not really but I have an indoor trainer and yes it has come that time I am forced to use it due to weather and shortened daylight.
I am not at all addicted to it and would trade it for a road ride anyday.

I have a indoor trainer too and use it more than getting out on the road ( ashamed to admit ) where i live it s not realy good riding spots and still need a roof rack. I do how ever use the indoor trainer and was thinking of taking up spinning classes but i m not sure what to expect where to do it etc. Also do you need special shoes to spin in gym or what do u use? What about knick you use that for indoor spinning? I have lost weight with my indoor spinning in the wrong places i might add lol

Originally Posted by madz777

I have lost weight with my indoor spinning in the wrong places i might add lol
It's a shame we can't target where our bodies lose weight first!

It realy is Steve I guess once i figure what whats the best nutrition to combine with the cycling and for my body type it will fall in place. I was also wondering does anyone know of cycling groups in bne north area to join for beginner cyclist as i ve only been riding allone as to yet? And think it might help haVing motivation from others. Thx guys : )

I'm looking into taking a spin class as well. I live in Maine and I won't be riding outdoors until at least April. I don't have an indoor trainer (and really no place to put one if I did.) I'm hoping that taking a spin class will help me shed some pounds and get me ready for the real thing this spring. I'll let you know what I think of spinning once I get going Cairns.
grin.png

I used to work on spin equipment a lot when I was a gym repair girl. It was kinda a job perk if you could call it that(beat testing/fixing the treadmills or weight stacks), but I'll take a ride in the snow any day compared to the indoor trainer. Group classes take a lot of the boredom out though.

One benefit I can see of the classes vs outside is the snow on the trails I ride which is great for resistance when it's fresh, is now packed/iced into footprints and snowmobile tracks so it is rougher to ride than a full fledged rock garden. Good training but my back still hurts a couple hours later.

The spin bikes usually are set up to run with either flat sneakers or mountain bike SPD shoes, the SPD being preferable in my experience. Have fun, it's the off season anyway ;)

The spin bikes usually are set up to run with either flat sneakers or mountain bike SPD shoes, the SPD being preferable in my experience. Have fun, it's the off season anyway ;) [/quote] Thank you for the info on the shoes i m definitely a bit bored at the moment with my indoor trainer so much i started running for some sort of other cardio (not good for my joints i might add) One more question i m going to take spin classes when on leave do you use knick s in the gym too it s a overseas holiday so need to pack some if needed in spin classes

I wouldn't feel too out of place to use normal riding clothing in the class or outside in the gym proper as long as it's comfortable. I have seen some girls ride in yoga outfits and some like they are out on a road tour although the saddles are not as fitted as what you would likely have on your personal bike. Padding is nice to have. ;)

Reactions: madz777
I have tried spinning a few times but I just dont have the stamina yet to do it. I didnt even last half of the class and I had to stop so Im working on it so that I can ride outside and do spin class.

I haven't done spin classes, but I know some ladies that do. I'll hit the indoor cycle from time to time if I need to. Some of my female friends love their spin classes and others do them when it's raining because they prefer cycling. It can't hurt, though. I've heard it's some decent exercise if you have a serious person running the class.

I tried it once and found it really boring personally. If you can watch s TV show you like it might be fun, but I didn't have that option at the location where I tried it so I just felt bored because the scenery wasn't changing.