General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Anyone up on Tryfan Sat 30th?

Started by Dundonald · · Last activity · 7 posts · 207 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 July 2007
Last activity
4 July 2007
Original author
Dundonald
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
207
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 2 mates and I started welsh 3K Saturday 3am north to south. Carneddau
    was completed with no problems in 5 hours but there were heavy rain
    and strong winds on even though broadest ridges. It didn't bode well
    for the Crib Goch on the last Snowdon massif leg. But in any case
    after a brief stop at roadside, warm food, fill ups, we headed up
    Tryfan. Rain was hammering down, winds became stronger the higher up
    the north ridge. Amazingly we came across people who had never done
    any mountain before let alone Tryfan and who had decided to go for a
    Saturday morning 'stroll' up Tryfan's north ridge. There weren't many
    out on Tryfan on Saturday, but a good few who were were evidently
    inexperienced and should have been back at home. I felt sorry for a
    couple women in particular who were very scared but had no choice but
    to follow the 3 males in their group.

    In any case, after Tryfan, the delays with the strong winds and heavy
    rain, this attempt on the welsh 3K was abandoned despite having made
    good progress in terms of time.

  2. Dundonald said:

    In any case, after Tryfan, the delays with the strong winds and heavy
    rain, this attempt on the welsh 3K was abandoned despite having made
    good progress in terms of time.

    Sorry to hear that, but I guess you had an "interesting" experience? Will
    you be back to try again?

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/
    Latest Blog Post: Why Do You Walk?
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/outdoor-opinions/why-do-you-walk/

  3. Paul Saunders said:
    Dundonald said:

    In any case, after Tryfan, the delays with the strong winds and heavy
    rain, this attempt on the welsh 3K was abandoned despite having made
    good progress in terms of time.

    Sorry to hear that, but I guess you had an "interesting" experience? Will
    you be back to try again?

    Oh yes. I've started the event 3 times completing it once and failing
    last two times. Last year because of 30 degree C heat and ran out of
    water halfway around Glyders and consequently dehydrated - wasn't fun
    (!). At that time I had no support vehicles just a friend and I
    walking. And this last weekend where we did have support vehicles but
    the weather was too aggressive so from a safety point of view didn't
    go ahead. We had fun on Tryfan though, but as I say, some people on
    there didn't!

  4. Dundonald said:

    2 mates and I started welsh 3K Saturday 3am north to south. Carneddau
    was completed with no problems in 5 hours but there were heavy rain
    and strong winds on even though broadest ridges. It didn't bode well

    [snip]

    Good on you! Me & a mate & his girlfriend were planning to do the same
    thing starting at around the same time on Sat, but the terrible weather
    predictions (Severe weather warnings etc) rather put the mockers on it.
    Those hills will be there another year (and I didn't fancy becoming an
    accident statistic), never mind the combined 800 miles of driving
    between us to get to Snowdonia, to look out the window to see it was
    still misty/raining. We're thinking about doing the Dales 4 peaks (from
    Settle rather than Horton) next Sat as compensation.

    Allan

  5. Dundonald said:
    Paul Saunders said:
    Dundonald said:

    In any case, after Tryfan, the delays with the strong winds and heavy
    rain, this attempt on the welsh 3K was abandoned despite having made
    good progress in terms of time.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry to hear that, but I guess you had an "interesting" experience? Will
    you be back to try again?

    Oh yes. I've started the event 3 times completing it once and failing
    last two times. Last year because of 30 degree C heat and ran out of
    water halfway around Glyders and consequently dehydrated - wasn't fun
    (!).

    I must add that we did plan logistics and had 5L bottles of water
    stashed at various places around the route for us to refill but by the
    time I got to the bottom of the glyders it was too late, I was
    dehydrated and consequently cramping up a little.

    Quoted message said:

    At that time I had no support vehicles just a friend and I
    walking. And this last weekend where we did have support vehicles but
    the weather was too aggressive so from a safety point of view didn't
    go ahead. We had fun on Tryfan though, but as I say, some people on
    there didn't!

  6. "Allan Gould" <[email hidden]> wrote

    We're thinking about doing the Dales 4 peaks (from

    Quoted message said:

    Settle rather than Horton) next Sat as compensation.


    Wossat then? Pen y ghent, Whernside, Ingleborough and Rum Doodle? ;-)

    Graham

  7. Graham Seed said:

    "Allan Gould" <[email hidden]> wrote

    We're thinking about doing the Dales 4 peaks (from

    Quoted message said:

    Settle rather than Horton) next Sat as compensation.


    Wossat then? Pen y ghent, Whernside, Ingleborough and Rum Doodle? ;-)

    (Settle), P-y-G, Whernside, Ingleborough, (P-y-g caff), P-y-G, (Settle)
    :-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.