General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Anyone willing to share fab bread stuffing recipe, please?

Started by Quiltshophopper · · Last activity · 11 posts · 474 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 April 2004
Last activity
3 April 2004
Original author
Quiltshophopper
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
474
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My bread stuffing is okay, if you had to choose between
    starvation and my stuffing. Can someone tell me how to
    make FABulous stuffing? What's the most deoicious stuffing
    you have had?

    Thanks you cooking kings and queens out there, Cyndi

  2. "QuiltShopHopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My bread stuffing is okay, if you had to choose between
    starvation and my stuffing. Can someone tell me how to
    make FABulous stuffing? What's the most deoicious stuffing
    you have had?

    Thanks you cooking kings and queens out there, Cyndi

    You first.

    How have you been making yours?

    Dimitri

  3. My mom made the best, I watched her but cannot get it quite
    like she did, sadly she is gone. My brother, on the other
    hand, made a lovely stuffing adding fried hot italian
    sausage and olives!

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what "QuiltShopHopper"
    <[email hidden]> wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    My bread stuffing is okay, if you had to choose between
    starvation and my stuffing. Can someone tell me how to make
    FABulous stuffing? What's the most deoicious stuffing you
    have had?

    Thanks you cooking kings and queens out there, Cyndi

  4. Quoted message said:

    MisNomer says:

    My mom made the best, I watched her but cannot get it quite
    like she did

    You've offered not even an approximation... I don't
    believe you.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  5. * Exported from MasterCook *

    Helen's Large Poultry Stuffing

    Recipe By : Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Family

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method --------
    ------------ -------------------------------- 1 pound
    sausage meat -- cooked 1 c Celery 1 c Onion 1 c Chicken
    stock 1 c Turkey gravy 1 tablespoon Sage 1 t Thyme
    1/4 c Parsley flakes 1 t Salt Pepper 1 Loaf Bread 1 Egg

    The day before needed: cook the sausage in a pan and
    saute' onion and celery til cooked. Refrigerate.

    Optional: Make a loaf of bread with the herbs and
    seasonings in it.

    Cube a loaf of day old bread and dry it and place in a
    large bowl.

    The day needed, 1 hour before serving: Remove veg mix from
    frig and warm in microwave. Add chicken stock and gravy.
    If not using seasoned bread, add herbs and parsley.
    Tastefor seasoning and add salt and pepper. Taste and
    adjust seasoning.

    Pour over top of cubed, dried at 250 , day old bread
    (enough to fill large bowl). While that is soaking in,
    beat an egg and add to mixture and blend thoroughly.
    Mixture should be fairly moist.

    At this time since Jim likes sausage and chestnuts in his,
    I divide the mixture and add cooked sausage meat and
    chopped cooked chestnuts to half the mixture.

    Divide mixture into 2 casseroles and bake at 350 for 45
    minutes, covered.

    Note I also add some roasted chestnuts chopped up sometimes.
    Recipe by Helen Peagram

    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 183 Calories; 16g Fat
    (80.0% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g
    Dietary Fiber; 42mg Cholesterol; 737mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0
    Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat.

    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    "QuiltShopHopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My bread stuffing is okay, if you had to choose between
    starvation and my stuffing. Can someone tell me how to
    make FABulous stuffing? What's the most deoicious stuffing
    you have had?

    Thanks you cooking kings and queens out there, Cyndi

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    QuiltShopHopper said:

    My bread stuffing is okay, if you had to choose between
    starvation and my stuffing. Can someone tell me how to
    make FABulous stuffing? What's the most deoicious stuffing
    you have had?

    My traditional stuffing is the "Simon & Garfunkel" stuffing.
    This is all done by taste, feel, and whatever's around the
    house, so there is no single recipe. Take stale bread (NOT
    mushy bread) and rip it into smaller pieces in a large bowl.
    Saute onions, garlic, celery, and a little green pepper
    (mushrooms, too, if you have them) in olive oil or butter
    until soft; pour into bowl. Add fresh parsley, dried sage, a
    wee bit of fresh rosemary, and some thyme (fresh or dried)--
    see where the name comes from? Add salt and freshly ground
    pepper as the spirit moves you. Now the fun starts. Take off
    your watch and rings, roll up your sleeves, wash your hands
    thoroughly, and mix everything together with your hands and
    some chicken or vegetable broth until the mixture is
    cohesive but not gluey. Pinch off a little and taste; add
    whatever you think it needs. Finally, add a couple of eggs
    to glue things together. I do not put my stuffing in the
    bird; rather, I bake it in a pan for 45-60 minutes at 350
    degrees until the middle tests done (160 degrees).

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  7. Dimitri, I hang my head in shame that I have been using
    Stove Top. I have recently learned that everyone else in the
    world just uses that stuff for a base and adds a million
    things to it until it's not Stove Top any more. I am not
    proud to admit that I can ruin Stove Top. Is there a support
    group out there for me? "Hello, My name is Cyndi, and I
    can't make stuffing."

    Cyndi

    Quoted message said:


    You first.

    How have you been making yours?

    Dimitri

  8. MisNomer <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    My mom made the best, I watched her but cannot get it
    quite like she did, sadly she is gone. My brother, on the
    other hand, made a lovely stuffing adding fried hot
    italian sausage and olives!

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what "QuiltShopHopper"
    <[email hidden]> wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    My bread stuffing is okay, if you had to choose between
    starvation and my stuffing. Can someone tell me how to
    make FABulous stuffing? What's the most deoicious stuffing
    you have had?

    Thanks you cooking kings and queens out there, Cyndi


    I'm pretty sure that Damsel Posted that all time favorite
    the stuffing recipe by James Beard. You could google for
    that. I believe the JB recipe make allowances for personal
    preferences in stuffing herbs.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  9. You know the kind... stale bread pieces, onion, celery,
    sage, butter, chicken stock etc.... If your mom didn't make
    the best I wouldn't beleive you either.

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what [email hidden] (PENMART01) wrote :

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    MisNomer says:

    My mom made the best, I watched her but cannot get it
    quite like she did

    You've offered not even an approximation... I don't
    believe you.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  10. [posted and emailed]
    "QuiltShopHopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I hang my head in shame that I have been using Stove Top.
    I have recently learned that everyone else in the world
    just uses that stuff for a base and adds a million things
    to it until it's not Stove Top any more. I am not proud to
    admit that I can ruin Stove Top. Is there a support group
    out there for me? "Hello, My name is Cyndi, and I can't
    make stuffing."

    Have no fear, Cyndi, stuffing is *easy*. Here are two of my
    favorite ways to make it, both inside the bird, although I
    suppose if you absolutely *had* to, the Grand Marnier
    stuffing could be baked separately (but then you'd call it
    dressing, not stuffing).

    *****
    Curry-Stuffed Chicken (from a whole-chicken wrapper sometime
    in the late 80s, probably Zacky or Foster Farms) Serves 4 1
    whole chicken (a nice-sized roaster, say 3-4 pounds)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2/2 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup butter 1 tsp (or more to taste) curry powder -- I
    use a rather spicy Madras blend
    4/2 tsp salt
    5/8 tsp pepper 5 cups dry bread cubes (make your own using
    good bread, cubed, then dried in a warm oven) 1 cup
    chicken broth

    Cook onion and celery in butter. Stir in curry, salt and
    pepper. Combine with bread cubes; toss with enough broth to
    moisten. Rub neck and body cavities with salt, stuff
    loosely. Skewer neck skin to back Tie legs, twist wings
    under back.

    Place chicken breast up, on rack,in roasting pan. Brush with
    butter. Roast uncovered at 375F for 2-2.5 hours or until
    done. Baste occasionally with pan drippings.

    *****
    Roast Turkey with Grand Marnier Apricot Stuffing (from the
    Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook) 12-14 portions

    Grand Marnier Apricot Stuffing (following) 1 turkey (about
    21 pounds), ready to cook 2 oranges, cut in half 1 tsp dried
    thyme Salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 cups (4 sticks)
    butter, room temperature

    6. Make the stuffing.

    7. Preheat oven to 450F.

    8. Rinse the turkey inside and out and pat dry. Squeeze the
    juice of the oranges all over the turkey and in the neck
    and body cavities. Spoon the stuffing loosely into the
    cavities. Set aside any extra stuffing. Sew up the
    cavities or close with small trussing skewers.

    9. Place the turkey on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
    Sprinkle all over with the thyme and salt and pepper to
    taste. Spread the butter all over the turkey. Turn
    breast side up in the pan adn cover the pan with
    aluminum foil.

    10. Place the turkey in the oven and reduce the heat to
    325F. Roast for three hours. Remove the foil and roast,
    basting occasionally, until the juices run clear when
    the meaty part of a thigh is pierced with a sharp
    skewer, about two more hours. Bake the leftover stuffing
    in a baking dish at 325F for 30 minutes.

    11. Let the turkey stand, covered with foil, for 15 minutes
    before carving.

    Grand Marnier Apricot Stuffing 1 cup diced dried apricots
    1-1/2 cups Grand Marnier Turkey liver and heart 1 cup (2
    sticks) unsalted butter 2 cups coarsely chopped celery 1
    large yellow onion, chopped 1 pound bulk pork sausage (I've
    always used Jimmy Dean) 1 pound herb stuffing mix (I've
    always used one of the bags of seasoned dried bread cubes --
    Pepperidge Farms, or Mrs Something-or-Other -- just don't
    use Stovetop) 1 cup slivered almonds 2 cups chicken stock,
    preferrably homemade 1-2 tsp dried thyme Salt and freshly
    ground black pepper to taste

    12. Place the apricots and one cup of the Grand Marnier in a
    small saucepan. Heat to boiling. Remove from the heat
    and set aside. Simmer the turkey liver and heart in
    water to cover in a small saucepan for five minutes; set
    aside to cool.

    13. Melt 1/2 cup of the butter in a large skillet over
    medium heat. Add the celery and onion and saute for 10
    minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.

    14. Cook the pork sausage in the same skillet, crumbling
    with a fork, until it is no longer pink. Remove from the
    heat and add to the celery mixture.

    15. Add the stuffing mix, apricots with liquid, and almonds.
    Finely dice the turkey liver and heart and add to the
    stuffing mixture. Stir to combine.

    16. Heat the remaining 1/2 cup butter and the stock in a
    small saucepan just until the butter melts. Pour over
    the stuffing mixture and add the remaining 1/2 cup Grand
    Marnier. Stir well to moisten the stuffing. Season with
    the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.

    Enough for a 21-24 pound turkey.

  11. "QuiltShopHopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dimitri, I hang my head in shame that I have been using
    Stove Top. I have recently learned that everyone else in
    the world just uses that stuff for a base


    and

    Quoted message said:

    adds a million things to it until it's not Stove Top any
    more. I am not proud to admit that I can ruin Stove Top.
    Is there a support group out there for me? "Hello, My name
    is Cyndi, and I can't make stuffing."

    Cyndi

    Quoted message said:


    You first.

    How have you been making yours?

    Dimitri

    Hey, my boyfriend loves Stove Top and buys it all the time.
    I don't eat it however; to me it's like salty mush.

    kili

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.