Road Cycling · Public discussion

Apparently all serious cyclists

Started by Fred · · Last activity · 93 posts · 2,209 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 April 2006
Last activity
8 July 2006
Original author
Fred
Posts
93
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,209
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–93 of 93
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Don Freeman said:

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Don Freeman said:

    "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > In article
    > <[email hidden]>,
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> And at least at my age (which ain't all that far removed from yours) I
    >> can
    >> really tell the difference in how well I pedal if I'm receiving massage
    >> regularly.
    > But why shave and grow stubble? Get a wax job.
    >
    Dilettante, real cyclists use electrolysis.


    I must be stuck in "Fred" land since I don't shave for 3 or 4 days
    sometimes until my wife gets me to do the deed. It must slow me down by a
    whole 0.1 MPH, and my longish hair another 0.1, wow, will that make me
    slow or what?
    Sheesh.


    .
    No but the possibility arises that it may have affected your sense of humor.


    My sense of humor is fine but I have grown over the years to not like
    the daily blood letting ceremony. I try to only shave when I have actual
    business with the suit and tie crowd. I have to laugh at all the Lance
    wannabees with their all or nothing approach to cycling. I ride,
    sometimes in all out training mode, even though I don't have a good
    reason, since at 57 I am not going to be competitive in anything except
    a seniors tournament. Mostly I just get out to enjoy being out with a
    mix of riding fast past the known boring parts and slow where there are
    good things to be found, like blackberries right now.
    We do need a funny post once in a while, that I agree with.
    Bill Baka

  2. "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Don Freeman said:

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I must be stuck in "Fred" land since I don't shave for 3 or 4 days
    sometimes until my wife gets me to do the deed. It must slow me down by
    a whole 0.1 MPH, and my longish hair another 0.1, wow, will that make me
    slow or what?
    Sheesh.


    .
    No but the possibility arises that it may have affected your sense of
    humor.


    My sense of humor is fine but I have grown over the years to not like the
    daily blood letting ceremony. I try to only shave when I have actual
    business with the suit and tie crowd. I have to laugh at all the Lance
    wannabees with their all or nothing approach to cycling. I ride, sometimes
    in all out training mode, even though I don't have a good reason, since at
    57 I am not going to be competitive in anything except a seniors
    tournament. Mostly I just get out to enjoy being out with a mix of riding
    fast past the known boring parts and slow where there are good things to
    be found, like blackberries right now.
    We do need a funny post once in a while, that I agree with.


    I gave up on the training aspect a long time ago, but when I did (purely for
    my own development, I never had any intention of competing) I used to use
    the track around the polo grounds at GG Park. I would get there in my cut
    offs and tee shirt, jump on the bike and go around in circles for a couple
    hours or more. Very seldom did it fail that while I was doing this a small
    (varying) group of bicyclists would show up with their outfits that probably
    cost more then my bike did (I never looked close enough to see if their legs
    were shaved), and make a big deal of stretching in front of everyone for
    longer then they actually rode. They'd get on the track and ride to show
    that they could pass me but after a few rounds I would start lapping them as
    they tired. At which time they would get off the track. I need a variation
    on the Lyndon Johnson quote "all hat and no horse" to describe these type.
    Maybe "All Lycra and no pedals"?

    Being 56, I'm just happy that I can get out and ride for relaxation and to
    save money (and frustration with traffic) on my commute.

  3. Don Freeman said:

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    My sense of humor is fine but I have grown over the years to not like the
    daily blood letting ceremony. I try to only shave when I have actual
    business with the suit and tie crowd. I have to laugh at all the Lance
    wannabees with their all or nothing approach to cycling. I ride, sometimes
    in all out training mode, even though I don't have a good reason, since at
    57 I am not going to be competitive in anything except a seniors
    tournament. Mostly I just get out to enjoy being out with a mix of riding
    fast past the known boring parts and slow where there are good things to
    be found, like blackberries right now.
    We do need a funny post once in a while, that I agree with.


    I gave up on the training aspect a long time ago, but when I did (purely for
    my own development, I never had any intention of competing) I used to use
    the track around the polo grounds at GG Park. I would get there in my cut
    offs and tee shirt, jump on the bike and go around in circles for a couple
    hours or more. Very seldom did it fail that while I was doing this a small
    (varying) group of bicyclists would show up with their outfits that probably
    cost more then my bike did (I never looked close enough to see if their legs
    were shaved), and make a big deal of stretching in front of everyone for
    longer then they actually rode. They'd get on the track and ride to show
    that they could pass me but after a few rounds I would start lapping them as
    they tired. At which time they would get off the track. I need a variation
    on the Lyndon Johnson quote "all hat and no horse" to describe these type.
    Maybe "All Lycra and no pedals"?

    Being 56, I'm just happy that I can get out and ride for relaxation and to
    save money (and frustration with traffic) on my commute.

    I agree 110% with you here but I go out on one of the local roads and
    look for as yet undiscovered things to explore. I have ridden all 20
    miles or so of the local MUP paved levee tops, and a 10 mile stretch of
    old railroad bed but there is still a shortage of bike friendly / safe
    places to ride. All Lycra and no pedals sounds about right. I just get
    out and ride to stay in reasonable shape, take my kids and grandkids
    out, and generally NOT act my age, as my out of shape wife puts it.
    I am thinking I am doing something right because I am not only still
    alive but have no signs of aging problems found among the sedentary. My
    neighbor behind me died a few months back at 53, heavy smoker who gave
    up her life rather than her precious cigarettes. My stepdaughter moved
    in back there with her totally gray haired boyfriend who just turned 50
    this week. I am 57.75?? with black hair and feel like a teenager most of
    the time, and I think I have bicycling to thank in large part. The hair
    may be genetic, but I have friends both older and younger with all gray
    hair, even down to 42, and one is in his 30's and bald.
    I feel blessed sometimes to have bikes to ride.
    One friend, who was only 49 but never rode a bike, even the half mile to
    work, had to have a 5 way heart bypass operation, and I have already
    lost friends younger than myself.

    The big question becomes, "Will this generation really outlive the
    past?". I don't think so, not with remote controls, cell phones you
    don't have to get up to answer, and all the 'conveniences' we now have.
    Rant off.
    Bill Baka

  4. On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:31:01 -0700, "Don Freeman" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    They'd get on the track and ride to show
    that they could pass me but after a few rounds I would start lapping them as
    they tired. At which time they would get off the track. I need a variation
    on the Lyndon Johnson quote "all hat and no horse" to describe these type.
    Maybe "All Lycra and no pedals"?

    Not sure what your point is. There is also probably a large set of
    bicycle riders on expensive bikes and wearing lycra that can kick your
    butt. Somehow I'm guessing that they won't come up in the discussion.

    The two of you seem more fixated on the trappings than those taking
    the time and spending the money. Sort of like the hippies that would
    talk for hours about how everyone else was fixated on money.
    Definitely couldn't Grok irony.

    And the 'all hat, no cattle' phrase is a bit before Lyndon Johnson.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  5. "Curtis L. Russell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:31:01 -0700, "Don Freeman" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    They'd get on the track and ride to show
    that they could pass me but after a few rounds I would start lapping them
    as
    they tired. At which time they would get off the track. I need a
    variation
    on the Lyndon Johnson quote "all hat and no horse" to describe these type.
    Maybe "All Lycra and no pedals"?

    Not sure what your point is. There is also probably a large set of
    bicycle riders on expensive bikes and wearing lycra that can kick your
    butt.

    I'm sure they all can now, but that completely misses the point of the
    subset of people who are more interested in the gear then the activity. Of
    which I have to admit I fit into when it comes to kayaking. I got the
    wetsuit, the GPS, the mounted compass, the 2k+ boat, carbon fiber paddles,
    miscellanous [censored] up the waazoo, but until I can effectivly get back in my
    boat in rough seas I'm restricted to flat water.

    But the difference is that I don't try to give the impression that I am more
    accomplished in that area then I really am.

    Quoted message said:

    The two of you seem more fixated on the trappings than those taking
    the time and spending the money. Sort of like the hippies that would
    talk for hours about how everyone else was fixated on money.
    Definitely couldn't Grok irony.

    Don't know where you are coming from with that, I've re-read the posts and
    still don't see how you came up with that impression. Maybe we struck a
    sensitive nerve?

    Quoted message said:


    And the 'all hat, no cattle' phrase is a bit before Lyndon Johnson.

    Only said he quoted it, not originated it.

  6. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Bill said:
    Don Freeman said:

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don Freeman wrote:
    > "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> But why shave and grow stubble? Get a wax job.
    >>
    > Dilettante, real cyclists use electrolysis.
    >
    I must be stuck in "Fred" land since I don't shave for 3 or 4 days
    sometimes until my wife gets me to do the deed. It must slow me down by a
    whole 0.1 MPH, and my longish hair another 0.1, wow, will that make me
    slow or what?
    Sheesh.


    .
    No but the possibility arises that it may have affected your sense of humor.


    My sense of humor is fine but I have grown over the years to not like
    the daily blood letting ceremony. I try to only shave when I have actual
    business with the suit and tie crowd. I have to laugh at all the Lance
    wannabees with their all or nothing approach to cycling. I ride,
    sometimes in all out training mode, even though I don't have a good
    reason, since at 57 I am not going to be competitive in anything except
    a seniors tournament. Mostly I just get out to enjoy being out with a
    mix of riding fast past the known boring parts and slow where there are
    good things to be found, like blackberries right now.
    We do need a funny post once in a while, that I agree with.

    `Nobody likes a good joke more than I do except maybe my
    wife, and a couple of her closest friends and, come to
    think of it, most people like a good joke more than I do
    but that's beside the point. Carry on!!'

    --
    Michael Press

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Tom Kunich said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pro wannabe" is a constant with you, Jobst. "Delusional" is another.

    Another anonymous coward swings and makes himself look like an ass.

    That all? Any discussion, or just a coupla name-calls and off? And
    exactly how is that being brave?

    Too bad about your memory inre the nom de ng, and not being able to
    make the rules. I'm easy enough to find and of course you well remember
    who I am in the first place.

    Come on, if you want to dispute, it's just some electrons and finger
    wiggling. No courage required. The "wannabe" and "delusional" comments
    stand, and it's not only Jobst, either. But he invited discussion, IMS.
    So, discuss already! --D-y

    Cheap shots at Jobst because you don't care for his style doesn't get you
    any points save with the sort of juvenile asses you so admire.

  8. On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:56:56 -0400, Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:31:01 -0700, "Don Freeman" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    They'd get on the track and ride to show
    that they could pass me but after a few rounds I would start lapping them as
    they tired. At which time they would get off the track. I need a variation
    on the Lyndon Johnson quote "all hat and no horse" to describe these type.
    Maybe "All Lycra and no pedals"?

    Not sure what your point is. There is also probably a large set of
    bicycle riders on expensive bikes and wearing lycra that can kick your
    butt. Somehow I'm guessing that they won't come up in the discussion.

    The two of you seem more fixated on the trappings than those taking
    the time and spending the money. Sort of like the hippies that would
    talk for hours about how everyone else was fixated on money.
    Definitely couldn't Grok irony.

    They also had to mooch meals, rides and weed. That was what hippies taught me:
    you can deny the material, but if you're going to continue living on this plane
    you damn well better do something about it.

    Ton

  9. On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:45:30 -0700, "Don Freeman" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Don't know where you are coming from with that, I've re-read the posts and
    still don't see how you came up with that impression. Maybe we struck a
    sensitive nerve?

    Hardly.
    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  10. Tom Kunich said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Tom Kunich said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Pro wannabe" is a constant with you, Jobst. "Delusional" is another.

    Another anonymous coward swings and makes himself look like an ass.

    That all? Any discussion, or just a coupla name-calls and off? And
    exactly how is that being brave?

    Too bad about your memory inre the nom de ng, and not being able to
    make the rules. I'm easy enough to find and of course you well remember
    who I am in the first place.

    Come on, if you want to dispute, it's just some electrons and finger
    wiggling. No courage required. The "wannabe" and "delusional" comments
    stand, and it's not only Jobst, either. But he invited discussion, IMS.
    So, discuss already! --D-y

    Cheap shots at Jobst because you don't care for his style doesn't get you
    any points save with the sort of juvenile asses you so admire.

    As is plain from reading, "style" is not the issue. Speaking of...
    (issues, TK, issues. Ah, yes, yours. You're welcome...) (Jobst isn't
    leaving anytime soon and he's well able to "defend" himself) (esp.
    against some anon. chickenshit from Texas. Don't you think?).

    Asking a question in objection to a couple of objectionable leitmotifs
    is hardly a "cheap shot". But thanks, that is a fitting label for
    "delusional" and "wannabe", at least in many cases.

    So, discuss already (#2, counting), don't let me have the last word
    (see above)!

    Please include a citation inre juvenile asses and my purported
    admiration of same. TIA

    --D-y, a real person with only one ng name replacement, as you well
    know for some years now.

  11. Don Freeman said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe we struck a sensitive nerve?

    Curtis L. Russell said:

    Hardly.

    Must have been your nose then.

  12. Donald Munro said:
    Don Freeman said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe we struck a sensitive nerve?

    Curtis L. Russell said:

    Hardly.

    Must have been your nose then.

    Not wishing to repeat myself, unlikely.
    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:
    Tom Kunich said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Tom Kunich wrote:
    > <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > >
    > > "Pro wannabe" is a constant with you, Jobst. "Delusional" is another.
    >
    > Another anonymous coward swings and makes himself look like an ass.

    That all? Any discussion, or just a coupla name-calls and off? And
    exactly how is that being brave?

    Too bad about your memory inre the nom de ng, and not being able to
    make the rules. I'm easy enough to find and of course you well remember
    who I am in the first place.

    Come on, if you want to dispute, it's just some electrons and finger
    wiggling. No courage required. The "wannabe" and "delusional" comments
    stand, and it's not only Jobst, either. But he invited discussion, IMS.
    So, discuss already! --D-y

    Cheap shots at Jobst because you don't care for his style doesn't get you
    any points save with the sort of juvenile asses you so admire.

    As is plain from reading, "style" is not the issue. Speaking of...
    (issues, TK, issues. Ah, yes, yours. You're welcome...) (Jobst isn't
    leaving anytime soon and he's well able to "defend" himself) (esp.
    against some anon. chickenshit from Texas. Don't you think?).

    Asking a question in objection to a couple of objectionable leitmotifs
    is hardly a "cheap shot". But thanks, that is a fitting label for
    "delusional" and "wannabe", at least in many cases.

    So, discuss already (#2, counting), don't let me have the last word
    (see above)!

    Please include a citation inre juvenile asses and my purported
    admiration of same. TIA

    --D-y, a real person with only one ng name replacement, as you well
    know for some years now.

    I find it truly odd that Tom is so upset with a person he likes to pretend is
    unknown to him for giving a little heckling to another guy who happened to have
    posted Tom's home address and a link to a map of same. Ahh, priorities...

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.