Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Are HED 3 Wheels good for regular road use?

Started by JTE83 · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,271 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 August 2004
Last activity
24 August 2004
Original author
JTE83
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,271
Views / 30 days
2
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Are HED 3 Wheels good for regular road use? I talked to bike shops that don't recommend them because once they become untrue -- you can't fix them. Sometimes when you buy them they are already a little bit untrue.

    No reviews of this wheel appear in RoadbikeReview.com !

    Are you a regular road user of HED 3 wheels ? Do you use them everyday ? How many miles do you have on them and do they stay true and last ?

  2. I wouldn't recommend using the rear disc for regular use. don't know about the tri-spoke, though.

  3. If you can afford the Hed3 wheels, I would say invest a bit extra in some training wheels. The Heds are excellent but I would be paranoid about every pothole.

  4. JTE83 said:

    Are HED 3 Wheels good for regular road use? I talked to bike shops that don't recommend them because once they become untrue -- you can't fix them. Sometimes when you buy them they are already a little bit untrue.

    No reviews of this wheel appear in RoadbikeReview.com !

    Are you a regular road user of HED 3 wheels ? Do you use them everyday ? How many miles do you have on them and do they stay true and last ?


    No.
    Too rigid and too expensive when you hit a pothole/gutter/other rider.

  5. JTE83 said:

    Are HED 3 Wheels good for regular road use? I talked to bike shops that don't recommend them because once they become untrue -- you can't fix them. Sometimes when you buy them they are already a little bit untrue.

    No reviews of this wheel appear in RoadbikeReview.com !

    Are you a regular road user of HED 3 wheels ? Do you use them everyday ? How many miles do you have on them and do they stay true and last ?


    I dont think they are even legal for regular road use. Or do u mean training/recreation as opposed to racing? As mass start events go i don't think they are legal but as road training wheels they would be fine as far as im concerned (if they only come in singles they could be a pain in the bum when it comes to getting flats). I have a set for track racing and they are great but probably a bit over the top for general road riding. Something a bit lighter (possibly less aero) would probably be a better option for the money. Maybe Campag Eurus or something like ksyrium/nucleon?

  6. illegal for UCI-sanctioned mass start road races.

  7. drewjc said:

    I dont think they are even legal for regular road use. Or do u mean training/recreation as opposed to racing? As mass start events go i don't think they are legal but as road training wheels they would be fine as far as im concerned (if they only come in singles they could be a pain in the bum when it comes to getting flats). I have a set for track racing and they are great but probably a bit over the top for general road riding. Something a bit lighter (possibly less aero) would probably be a better option for the money. Maybe Campag Eurus or something like ksyrium/nucleon?

    I know they're illegal for mass start racing. But I would use them for recreation, training, and generally riding everywhere in a typical city. So they have to be strong in case you hit a pothole.

    ... But HED 3s are the fastest wheels not counting disks...

    OH, I use Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL's for training, racing, and general riding. Crashed into a curb during a race and my front wheel still stayed true enough to race on (no brake rub).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.