Are Panniers Necessary?

aci196

Jan 11, 2005
I'm planning a trip round Spain this Spring. I'd like to take as little as possible and not too bothered about taking loads of excess clothes etc so figure I might get away with a 38 ltr rucsac on my back.

Is this going to cause loads of problems? I'm pretty fit so the weight shouldn't be to much of a problem. I'm not yet sure where the tent will go (if I take one).

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers :eek:

If you like riding vertically the whole time, struggling to keep the weight comfortable and enjoy a sweaty back, sure - go for it.

If not, grab yourself a pair of panniers.

David.

It's much more pleasant riding without a backpack. You are much more likely to get a sore bum with a backpack as well. It's definitely possible, but if you're planning on riding for more than a week I highly recommend getting the weight off your back somehow.

You'll be a lot more comfortable with your minimal gear carried on your bike. If you're not carrying a lot of weight you can easily get buy with a rear rack and panniers.

It is a little more dangerous as the center of gravity is elevated. Think of it this way - if the weight on your back shifts as you cycle, it's harder to keep your balance with the rucksack than it is with a pannier.

If you don't wan't panniers, check out some options at www.wallbike.com or www.rivbike.com. Both sell saddlebags of various sized in the great British touring tradition. The bags are practical, waterproof, and kool in a retro kind of way. You won't have to carry the load on your back and you can choose from a variety of sizes. Enjoy your ride!